1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

yics blanking tool

Discussion in 'Reviews - Service, Online, Retail Shop' started by wilfru, May 24, 2012.

1. wilfru

wilfru New Member

i find this little item an impossibility to find,although i did find one by accident in the u.k. very exited i was,contacted the shop,well i also needed a lot of little fidley bits for my xj900r 83 mod ,,the price they wanted for this tool,im almost ashamed to say well over 100.dollers hmmmmmmmmmm,,i wrote a very cordial message to them to get back to me,,,,as you guessed that never happened..if anyone can make a real repo and put it on ebay you would have a winner im sure,, i noticed that even the motorcycle shops dont have this little piece of gold how the heck do they tune the carbs up another hmmmmmmm,,in aust the shops charge well over 700.00 dollars for a major tune up ,,another hmmmmmmmmm surfice to say i reluctantley made one ,didnt quite get it right the first time,,then by luck i found a make your own on this site,,thanx so much for that,,xj and also for the bloke that put up the posting for this allusive little piece of gold ,,you blanking son of a tool,,wilfred :p

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Old School Method
    All Rights Reserved.
    A Rick Massey Production.

OK ... let's just hop down to the Bottom Line.

Here's your own personal, handy and disposable YICS TOOL.

I don't care what Material or Lubricating Agent or what variation you might add to make this different in any way ... the concept is mine. Therefore, I am naming The Concept.

"RickCoMatic's YICS Stuff" (and a better name to be added later)!

Sharp hook the end of a length of wire coat hanger.
    Snag the well-trimmed end of a length of COTTON Clothes Line to the wire.
    Wrap the splice with a bit of DUCT TAPE to prevent the Clothes Line from coming off the wire.
    Undo BOTH Caps on the openings to the YICS PASSAGE.
    Pass the wire through the passage and prepare to draw the Clothes Line through the YICS Passage.

After the splice and taped end are started-in ... begin saturating the Cotton Clothes Line with MARVEL MYSTERY OIL. (MMO)
    As a cleaner, a fire-proof agent, top cylinder lube and most importantly ...
    A VAPOR BARRIER!

Pull the MMO saturated clothes line through the opposite side.
    Leave several inches exposed.
    Cut.
    Stuff the MMO saturated clothes line back in the YICS PORT and replace end PLUG.
    Stuff the open side with MMO saturated clothes line.
    Replace plug.

Balance Carbs.
    Set Mixtures.

Remove "The RickCoMatic Stuff"

I'll come-up with a better name for it later.
    Cheap.
    Clean.
    Safe.
    And good for your engine!

<><><><>
    Revised:
    Just use a real long NARROW strip of T-Shirt tightly knotted together.
    No muss.
    No fuss.

May 2012 Update;

Since this was first published I have had a great number of people PM me with "Refinements"
    This one was best.

Ricko. Just cut-off the bottom hem. Start cutting again and don't stop keeping the with a half inch until you hit the neck! No nots.

3. wilfru

wilfru New Member

rick massey,your a gem,what a great idea that is,,this is why i joined this club im 59 yrs old been riding since i was 14 i had to laugh at my avitar as it says wantabee hmmmmmmmm interesting ,,laughed alot as you can imagine,,anyway back to the yics i did make the one in the diagram,just finished it ,,then read your reply,havnt tried it as of yet,,silly question in australia i dont think that the oil you mentioned is available here,,can you advise me if a substitute oil can be used for this process,,im a little concerned to use just any oil because im thinking that instead of cleaning the passages i might end up plugging them as you can imagine,,could be a problem in the making lol,,,once again thanx so much for your tip looking forward to hearing from you again wilfred

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You can use motor oil too.

Even when using a proper reproduction tool, it should get slathered in oil before deploying it.

5. RickCoMatic

You can use any Commercial Top Cylinder Lube.
    LUCAS comes to mind.

Cleaning the Passage is simple.
    Remove the Plugs on both sides.
    Fashion a Ram-rod from Fiberglass Driveway Marking Rod.
    Drive "Patches" of Terrycloth (4.5 sq cm +/-) saturated with Carb Cleaner through the Passage.

Continue until one come-out as clean as it went in.

Cleaning the Orifices can be done with a Tool fabricated from a Wire Coat Hanger.
    Place a Right Angle on the Wire that will fit the Tunnel.
    DRESS the Right Angle with 800 Finishing Paper so it will not snag an O-ring
    Probe the Orifices.

FLUSH:
    With one end of the YICS Passage Closed with its Plug.
    Rubber Stopper the end to be opened for a Running Flush.
    IDLE the Bike.

Tape a Carb Cleaner Tube to your Thumb so it will not be sucked-in to the Tunnel.
    Have an assistant remove the Stopper.
    Quickly cover the Passage with your Thumb --> Inserting the Tube into the Passage.

Shoot Carb Cleaner into the Passage.

Short bursts of Cleaner.
    Let rpm's fall.
    Repeat applications of SHORT BURSTS of Cleaner.

6. wilfru

wilfru New Member

once again your a bank of knowledge,, i have many m/c but this is my first xj with this kinda system,im only into old retro bikes,this xj was bought about 1half years ago but i really have just shown a lot of interest in it in the last few months,as i am getting older my big baggers are getting harder for me to pick up and put on the center stand,this xj has the power and dosnt compermise power with weight,,meaning i can pick it up easily,,ie,,to put on the centerstand knowing it still has heaps of power,,want to park the other bikes soon and make this my daily rider,your help is becoming invaluable to keeping this project online ,,have booked marked your advise for future ref ,,thanx wilfred

7. RickCoMatic

It's important to attend to details.
    Before you start any "Tuning" assure that the valves are within specs.

The most important word of advice I have to offer is:
    Get yourself a Genuine Yamaha Workshop Manual -- specific to your Bike.

http://www.yamahapubs.com/