1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

yics tool

Discussion in 'Reviews - Service, Online, Retail Shop' started by orry, Apr 3, 2015.

1. orry

orry New Member

Hi am i glad i found xj4ever there service and help is superb .My yics tool arrived safely and quickly a big thumbs up from the UK .Cheers Len and best regards Orry:) 1797502_909804695749850_6495485640003528464_n.jpg

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Is that trike a kit or did you fabricate it yourself? I have several disabled acquaintances who ride, so I'm always interested in seeing how people (disabled or not) modify their motorcycles to suit their needs.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  3. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum orry, that trike is truly a one of a kind. would love to see more pics of it.

FU

4. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

Just make sure the passage is clean before you install it thought mine was started putting it in got stuck had to tap it back thru from the other side. I cleaned the passage with cab cleaner and a rag used wd 40 on all the rubbers went in fine did its job then would not come out. I rolled one of the rubbers had to destroy the tool to get it out. I am thinking i might have bent it a little when i tapped it back out with a screw driver from the opposite direction.

5. localh0st

localh0st New Member

Did anyone tried to block YICS using 10mm (0.3937") pipe without any rubbers on it?

6. k-moe

That won't work. A slip fit will allow air to pass, and a press fit (to seal the passages) will be very difficult to remove. You can use strips of t-shirt, knotted every few inches, and soaked in Automatic Transmission Fluid or Marvel Mystery Oil. Stuff them in the passage, leaving a tail hanging out so they can be removed.

You can also skip blocking the passages altogether.

localh0st likes this.
  7. localh0st

localh0st New Member

Thanks for the information. I'll do YICS tool properly then, because I want to block it permanently.

8. k-moe

Egads no. You'll be ruining a really good system that enhances combustion efficiency. Everyone I know of that has blocked it has eventually unblocked it. If you really must block it I suggest that you find the highest temperature-rated silicone tubing that you can (above 400ºF if possible), otherwise there is some risk of permaant damage from leaving the tool in while riding.

9. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Ok here's my YICS tool question. Why use it at all? It seems to my simple mind that this is changing the conditions of the intake to isolate the carbs, right? OK so you tune it to that condition, and then you change it back by removing the tool, and the intake is no longer the same, and thus the setup for the carbs is now incorrect!
    Please feel free to ridicule me. I have a tendency to over-simplify things...

10. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

As for permanently blocking the tube, here's BigFitz's words:

"Yamaha built the bike.
    Yamaha made the tool and said "use it."
    Yamaha HAD a reason for that.
    That is all I need to know that I need to use the tool, period.
    Yes, we can argue all day about how close you may or may not get it, and all of that is very true. However, the pure science behind it says you will get more accurate results with the cylinders isolated. And that much IS true, based on my own, real-world experience and a comparison done with a Morgan Carbtune with and without blocking YICS.
    YICS does "dampen" out an imbalance, especially at idle, as above. Block it and you remove the dampening/compensating effect. Pure and simple. HOW MUCH effect YICS was having we can debate until there is no more horse left to beat and the can is empty, but if you block it you eliminate it from the discussion.
    But then again, what do I know. I put another 120+ miles on my XJ today, and it started/ran/idled flawlessly, even in stop-and-go rush hour DEEtroit traffic. Just like it has for the last 3600+ miles since I got DONE with it."
    From this thread:
    http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/to-use-or-not-yics-tool.31960/#post-276314

It kinda answers my previous question, but I'd still appreciate other's opinions!
    edit: Ok. I read further in that thread. Chacal makes it all clear on page two. Kinda. You can give your opinion on the tool if you want. My brain is full.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  11. k-moe

Isolating the carbs ensures that each carb is tuned to its cylinder. With the YICS passages open you can't do that. Once the passages are open they draw just a little fuel from the other three carbs and do so equally (assuming that the YICS passages are clean (Mine were nearly spotless when I had my engine torn down)), so the overall balance remains the same. Keep in mind that the factory settings allow for a lean mixture, which is supplemented by the YICS passages drawing on the three other carbs during any given intake cycle. This is why just blocking the YICS passages permanantly does not result in a better running machine.

Having said that; you can tune without the YICS passages blocked, and get everything fairly close to the ideal.

12. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Do you block yours for vacuum sync? Your comment is what started me off!
    I'm dangerous when I start thinking, so I try to avoid it!

13. k-moe

I do not. But I would if I was really concerned about having everything perfect.