1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

ZERO COST "MEND" for steering notch

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by TIMEtoRIDE, Jan 21, 2012.

?

Does your XJ have a "notch" in the steering ??

1. I have perfect steering

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I have a slight notch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. iandmac

iandmac Member

My lower 900 head bearing outer was tricky to remove. The top outer came out easy because there's a decent groove to get a drift behind but I had to enlarge the notch on the lower one with a die grinder.

Seems it came out of the factory with an inadequately machined notch in there because the angle was incorrect and even a small diameter drift wouldn't work.

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Thanks for the tips, but too late - - I'm a commercial lawn service guy - I cut the bearing shell and split it. (I win).

Pics later.

Now off to the hospital to visit a friend who just became a paraplegic. Value every day of life !!

3. mook1al

mook1al Member

Wasn't trying to be melodramatic. That is just what it was called when I was growing up (which I suppose I could have elaborated upon). It is on a hilly road, hwy 49 in Clay County Alabama leading to Cheaha Mnt. Google it if you like, it is a very popular motorcycle route in the area. It is a short/sharp curve approximately 90 degrees. This sharp of a curve properly cut isn't so bad, but this one was cut with a reverse bank, and not the typically inward (upward) banking. It was a real hoot when I was a kid to see how fast you could take it, and stay out of the kudzo behind the barbed wire fence. If you are in the area (not you Wiz, XJ's don't float :p ) and really want some fun twisty roads, follow 49 north to hwy 281. Take it across the top of Mnt Cheaha and follow it till it ends in Talladega County.

Anyway.......my point was not the name of the road, but the unnecessary risk of riding with failing bearings. Good to see TIMEtoRIDE is replacing them.

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Hope he didn't become a paraplegic due to HIS steering bearings seizing up.

Guess you didn't get to be an xjwizard by knowing about steering stem bearings. :)

Factory bearings in these are the ball bearing type. Tapered roller bearings are the best replacement/upgrade and you'll never have to do them again.

Some other bikes did have tapered bearings from the factory.....the 85/86 xj700/750/maxim-x, the 84-and up viragos, many others. But, the 900rk didn't.

The others aren't really trying to be melodramatic.....they're presenting the REALITY of the situation. In most cases, the bearings/steering will just continue to have the notchiness, and if the 'notch' is just a hair off-center it can cause weave, shake, etc..... and eventually lead to tank-slapping, and a quick launch over the handlebars, or the opposite extreme in which the steering locks up--as previously described.

Dave F

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Removing Lower Race's not having Notched Tool Purchase relief.

Chuck a HARDENED 14mm Bolt in an Electric Drill and take it to a Bench Grinder.
    Grind the Hex Head ... Round. Removing the Flats and making the Bolt Head "Round"
    Shape the New Round Head, ... slightly "Conical"
    Slightly.
    Leave more Material at the Threaded end.

Using the appropriate attachment, ...
    Mount the Bolt at the end of a 5-Pound Sliding Hammer.
    Catch the Edge of the Lower Race with the Underside of the Bolt Head.

Apply Outboard Pushing Torque.
    Slide the Weight a SHORT Stroke and Apply Downward Impact.

6. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

My bike HAD a tapered roller set, since purchased 4 years ago, with a notch. Upon a brief inspection, I couldn't find any serious defect. The lower-inner race has vertical lines that just catch your fingernail. The rollers show no flaw. I used the "dig a hole" method for clearance.

[​IMG]
    - -
    [​IMG]

7. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

That's the first time I've ever seen the whole nose off without dangling the Brakes or Pulling the Front Wheel.

Very clever.

8. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Thanks Rick, I disconnected the throttle and choke, the ignition, and very little else. I wrapped the instruments in the red shirt, and had a sweatshirt over the front fender during the work.

Drifting the lower race from the neck - Take a Chevy 350 pushrod, grind the tip square, grind one side flat a bit, fit in the notch provided, tap 2 solid hits per side, then switch sides.

Drifting the upper race, that has no notches, find that piece of 3/4 mild steel square tube and pound with the same "2 tap" technique. Anyone who's never drifted a race before needs to know that hitting more than 2-3 times only "locks" the bearing more firmly in place.

The lower/outer race had a worn pattern in it's surface, the upper/outer looked really good. It's together, but it got dark before I could do the final assembly. Might as well do plugs, sync, ColorTune while the tank is off.

9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Rick,

That' how I've done my bearings, too. Saves a whole lot of time.

Time, wow, you had those kind go bad? Unusual. But, they are made for a reason......to replace bad bearings, so just like on a car--they can go bad. Someone's been in there before, I guess. Surprises are always fun.:)

Dave F

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

"I couldn't find any serious defect."
    thats about as bad as a bearing can get and still be called a bearing. imagine if that was a wheel bearing, it would have melted long ago.

11. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

That race was sliced with a grinder to hasten removal Polock :roll:

I sliced it further open to use as an installation collar to beat against while seating the lower/inner bearing.
    These bearings were all marked "Made in Japan" for the curious.

12. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i got that,
    the surface finish on that bearing was measured in millionths of a meter when it was made, most people can feel 1 thousandth of a inch to catch your nail it's about 3 to 5 thousandths.
    that looks like what happens when somebody uses the inner race to drive the outer race in.............. with a big hammer
    use the old race to tap the new one in

13. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

One must be careful when installing the bearings in a steering head, believe it or not the notched nuts can exert many tons of pressure on the races causing them to be dented, even as hard as they are. BMW uses tapered roller bearings every where on their machines, including the steering head and mechanics are warned of this in the BMW shop manual.

14. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Here's the main culprit - - the lower/outer race was dimpled as well as the lower/inner
    I rolled the rollers across glass, expecting to at least hear flat spots. They must be harder than the races.

Bike is back together now and steers perfectly.

[​IMG]