1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Zip tie metod

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by murray, Apr 7, 2009.

1. murray

murray Member

Hi all
    I,ve often seen reference to the zip tie method for holding down the shim buckets during shim change,could someone please explain, or point me to the relevant info. Cheers,Murray

2. Tman_74

Tman_74 Member

It does not hold down the bucket. You pull the plugs, turn the motor over till the cam depresses the valve, (if you shine a light in the plug hole you can see the valve)then insert the zip tie in the cylinder between the depressed valve and the valve seat. The continue tuning the motor over and the valve will not come all the way back up. This will give you enough room to remove the shim. ***A word of caution*** I did mine this way, and before i did it i read several posts that talked about the zip tie breaking off. I used a good heavy 1/8"-3-16" black ziptie. It does get chewed up a bit and i could see where one of the cheap zip ties could break off. I also had to bend mine and tape it to hold the bend. It worked great and was fast.

3. Tito

Tito Member

I use weed wacker string bend it about half inch and crimp it with pliers so it stays bent.

4. Palmer650

Palmer650 Member