1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bike out of moth balls

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Nighthawk, Mar 8, 2009.

  1. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Member

    Messages:
    93
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    Huber Heights, Ohio
    I can't believe I happen to find this site. I bought my 82 750 Seca brand new my fist 2 months at my first Air Force duty Station. Rode it through every thing possible, even had it upto the rear signals in swamp roads in the back woods of maine. Well rode the bike off and on until 1994 when it had 22k on it. Got to my last duty station in 96 with no time to spend to take care of my first bike so took it to my dads and put it in the bard for 10 years. Well I bought a new bike since then and went to get my bike out of the barn in 2006. Today I got the itch to start to work on her and get her going. This is going to be a job. I want to get her back to running condition and hand her off to my son. I figure 24 year she was with me in the Air Force and hopefully another 20 years. Anyways, I plan on doing alot of reading to see what every one has posted. Things I need or going to do.

    1. Send tank off to fix rust hole and blast it and protect inside.
    2. Start switch wont operate every couple pushes, I sprayed it seemed to help but still messes up.
    3, Need to rebuild front calipers, got rust and stick.


    Thats a start.

    Keith
     
  2. wamaxim

    wamaxim Active Member

    Messages:
    1,215
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Vancouver, USA
    Welcome aboard Keith. Great story of a faithful companion. This forum is a real jewel. The amount of knowledge and the willingness to pass it along is simply amazing.


    You will probably want to get a factory service manual from Chacal, our local parts Guru. It really supplements the 'How to's" located in the FAQ section of the forum.


    BTW: just pm Chacal from this site to get the manual / parts ball rolling. He is VERY quick to respond and an all around good guy.
     
  3. bigfitz52

    bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    21,283
    Likes Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Rural SE Michigan 60 miles N of Motown
    Keith my friend welcome aboard and you have a lot more to do than you think. You're going to need to go through the 'maintenance' section of the book and LEAVE NOTHING OUT. That will keep you busy for a while.

    You might consider shopping eBay for a solid tank, they pop up all the time.
     
  4. bill

    bill Active Member

    Messages:
    2,813
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    Welcome aboard - this is a great place to learn and get advice.
     
  5. SecaRob

    SecaRob Member

    Messages:
    510
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Nighthawk, let me be the first to say thank you for the 10+ years of your life you sacrificed for the safety of this great country and for the freedom of all mankind. I really appreciate it!

    I am members of a couple of other boards but xjbikes is without a doubt the best. There are so many top shelf people that are ready willing and able to help you get her running again.

    Welcome
     
  6. Robert

    Robert Active Member

    Messages:
    7,479
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Ventura CA
    Welcome Nighthawk! Glad to see The Force is represented! Glad to have more veterans involved. BigFitz has very good advice for you, I'd score a manual straight away. And I'll also sing Chacal's praise, he has earned it more time than I can count.
     

Share This Page