1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

air / fuel mixture screw

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jtalafous, Mar 19, 2009.

  1. jtalafous

    jtalafous Member

    Messages:
    130
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    I don't have a Colortune yet, but want to get close in my setting of the air / fuel mixture. When the screw is all the way in, is that richest or leanest?

    Any advice as to how to set air/fuel mixture screw from scrath greatly appreciated. I am setting all at three turns out, and going from there.

    Carbs are synched and engine idles OK. When it is cold, tapping the throttle reacts beautifully, but when hot, it is mushing out.

    Thanks very much,
    Jt
     
  2. bigfitz52

    bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    21,283
    Likes Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Rural SE Michigan 60 miles N of Motown
    In for lean, out for rich. Take a look at your plugs and work INCREMENTALLY from there.

    I don't suppose you made a note of the settings before you disturbed the screws, did you?
     
  3. jtalafous

    jtalafous Member

    Messages:
    130
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    Actually, I did record how far I needed to screw them in all the way before backing them off three turns. The data ranges between 1.5 and 5 turns. The center screws are chewed up from previous owner, are they easily replaceable?

    Do I need to clean the plugs each iteration, or would a lean condition burn off the soot. Currently they are intensely sooty.
     
  4. bigfitz52

    bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    21,283
    Likes Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Rural SE Michigan 60 miles N of Motown
    You might want to get a couple sets of plugs. If they were at a strange range of settings, you could TRY them there and see what you get. If three of them were between 1.5 and 2.5 ond only one at 5, then it was probably NOT really supposed to be there.

    I would start at 2.5 turns though if you're that rich.
     

Share This Page