1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A bird in my motor?!?!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mad_Bohemian, Aug 31, 2009.

  1. Mad_Bohemian

    Mad_Bohemian Active Member

    Messages:
    744
    Likes Received:
    57
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    Ravenna MI
    Well I finally got the carbs on my project bike. Hooked up a temporary fuel feed and tried to get her running. In the process of cranking it over to get it running I would hear an occasional 'chirp'. Once I finally got it running the 'chirp' was constant and very noticeable. It disappears on acceleration but other wise is constant. It sounds like it's coming from the top backside of the motor. Is it possible to have the cam chain too tight?I wouldn't think so w/the automatic tensioner. Looks like I'm gonna have to pull the valve cover....any other ideas? Anyone else ever heard the chrip chirp chirp?!?! 8O
     
  2. MiCarl

    MiCarl Active Member

    Messages:
    4,373
    Likes Received:
    25
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Livonia, MI (Metro Detroit)
    Sounds like starter clutch.
     
  3. Mad_Bohemian

    Mad_Bohemian Active Member

    Messages:
    744
    Likes Received:
    57
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    Ravenna MI
    Is that a pretty easy fix?!?!
     
  4. lowlifexj

    lowlifexj Member

    Messages:
    292
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Grand Haven,MI
    hey Brian way to go got her running :D
    I don't know any starter clutch tricks though.
     
  5. XJ700VET

    XJ700VET Member

    Messages:
    288
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Portland OR
    I had a squeak type sound that came from behind the cylinders where the intake manifold attaches. The sound was very regular at low RPM's. My problem was the gasket that fits between the two would suck air and cause the gasket to vibrate fast enough to make the squeak sound, sort of like blowing on a piece of grass between your thumbs. I was able to fix it by cutting new gaskets and using some gasket sealer only on the manifold and the gasket. Don't know if thats your problem but, thats how I fixed mine.

    Cheers
    Ken
     
  6. Mad_Bohemian

    Mad_Bohemian Active Member

    Messages:
    744
    Likes Received:
    57
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    Ravenna MI
    Thanks Ken,
    I did a search for "chirp" and I found a couple threads with that same issue/solution. I'm hoping that's all mine is because if it's a starter clutch,(since that requires splitting the engine cases) then I'm thinkin' there's a bike gonna be for sale...but I'll rule out the simple fixes first.
     
  7. Mad_Bohemian

    Mad_Bohemian Active Member

    Messages:
    744
    Likes Received:
    57
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    Ravenna MI
    YAAAAY!!! No starter clutch problem!!!! Took the carbs off and added some form-a-gasket on gasket for #2, put em back on and...no more birdie!!! phew...that a load off my mind. Looks like I'll have to strip and clean the carbs though. She'll run but she won't idle.... more to come...
     

Share This Page