1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My First Carb Job/ my first posting/ Clutch Question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by chadlee2588, Sep 2, 2010.

  1. chadlee2588

    chadlee2588 New Member

    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Kalamazoo MI
    Hello, I have a few questions. I Rebuilt my Carbs Yesterday on My 1981 550 Seca. The Project went as smooth as I could have imagined, except for a few stripped out Screw heads from the hack that worked on them before me. anyway, Finished up, Installed the carbs, and she started Right Up. Runs better than it Ever has for me. My Question is, Do I still need to sync the carbs or check the fuel levels if it Runs good? I will look at the Plugs to see if any cylinders are running rich or lean. but since its running good, Do I need to do any more adjustments?
    another question.. Like an Ass, I let the Bike Rot for the first half of this summer outside. All My gas Leaked into my Case, Hence the carb rebuild. But Now My Clutch isnt working. The Lever Pulls easier than It Should and its not fully engaging. Any Ideas? Could I adjust it?, Did Something fall apart inside? Any Ideas?
     

    Attached Files:

  2. bigfitz52

    bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    21,283
    Likes Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Rural SE Michigan 60 miles N of Motown
    Yes, you should still check the float levels and adjust if necessary, and yes you should still sync the carbs, the bike will run even better yet, trust me.

    You clutch is most likely gummed up and some of the plates stuck together. The first step would be to pull it apart, clean everything, and decide where to go from there.
     
  3. chadlee2588

    chadlee2588 New Member

    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Kalamazoo MI
    Thanks. I'm no master Mechanic, This is my first Bike. I Researched the Carb rebuild pretty good and studied the manual a few times before I dug into the carbs, And I found it was a relatively simple job. Will I have a hell of a time with the clutch or is it not so bad?
     
  4. TIMEtoRIDE

    TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

    Messages:
    4,686
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Clermont FL near Orlando
    Not so hard, just stay organized with all the plates.

    Welcome to the site !! ( see tire/brake check below)
     
  5. bigfitz52

    bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    21,283
    Likes Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Rural SE Michigan 60 miles N of Motown
    For the 550 clutch, you need the information included here: http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic ... tml#195348

    Just be sure to watch the orientation of the tabs on the plain plates, and the location of the clutch boss spring and its "special" friction plate.

    (See diagrams in link.)
     
  6. chadlee2588

    chadlee2588 New Member

    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Kalamazoo MI
    I drove it around the block a few times working the clutch, it worked itself right out. Thanks
     

Share This Page