1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

handle bars /front end not straight

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by genetxs, Mar 4, 2011.

  1. genetxs

    genetxs New Member

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Marion Ohio
    I just got a 95 xj600, and the left handle bar is 4 inches closer than the right, also when I turn the handle bars the left side hit the faring but the right one doesn't. I have no idea whats wrong. The bikes runs great only has 7,00 mile on it. can some one please help me.
    Thanks
     
  2. RickCoMatic

    RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    13,842
    Likes Received:
    68
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Massachusetts, Billerica
    I looked at the Parts View.

    The Steering Upper fits over the for tubes.

    That means, .... your bars are bent.
    Or worse.

    Look at the ends of the Handle bars for rash.
    If the Bars have a bent look too them ... order new bars.
     
  3. Maxim-X

    Maxim-X Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,696
    Likes Received:
    76
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    London Ontario Canada
    Fill out your profile a bit more, you may be living around the corner from another forum member. Also, a bit more history on the bike, crashed, barn find, relative, auction etc. When did it last run or how long has it sat?
    Like Rick says, if the bars are bent that much it's either been layed down, knocked over, or dumped.
    Has it got 700 or 7000 miles on it?
    ...and, if you can, post pics. We really, really like pics, well I do anyway. :roll:
     
  4. genetxs

    genetxs New Member

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Marion Ohio
    I bought 3 week ago during an ice storm, wasn't icing when i went to get the bike but started before i got there. It has 7,400 miles on it starts right up and runs goods. So needless to say I purchased the bike without test driving it. The bike has some paint off the bottom fairing, i was told it was laid down at a slow speed. I will complete my profile after i post this. Thanks Rick and Max
     
  5. genetxs

    genetxs New Member

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Marion Ohio
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention, it seem odd, that the left handle bars is close to me by 4 inches but it the one the hit my front fairing, the right one stops before it touches it. Seem like the right should hit and not the left?
    Thanks again.
     
  6. Maxim-X

    Maxim-X Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,696
    Likes Received:
    76
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    London Ontario Canada
    Best case scenario, fairing got tweaked in the low side. Worst case, it wasn't a slow speed low side and the triples are F****D!
     
  7. genetxs

    genetxs New Member

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Marion Ohio
    Thanks again, YOU R THE MAN..
    As soon as i wake up, I am going to see if i can figure it out..thanks so much for your help!
     
  8. genetxs

    genetxs New Member

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Marion Ohio
    You were right! the triple trees were bent, and the stop peg was bent over. Luckily I found a complete triple tree set on eBay last night for $35.
    Hopefully I will be riding again soon. Thanks again Maxim-X
     
  9. Maxim-X

    Maxim-X Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,696
    Likes Received:
    76
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    London Ontario Canada
    Ok, now that you have got to the source, did you get a clean title with the bike? Sometimes a bike can be branded as salvage and still sold but will be difficult to get unbranded.
    From what you describe, it's no low speed lay down, so before you go and invest a bunch of time and money in the rebuild get it checked out at the DMV.
    Of course if you have a clear title in hand and it's already in your name then there will be no problem, right?
    Oh, almost forgot, if the triples were bent look really hard at the forks, a good steel ruler can show deflection without taking them apart, or if you do end up taking them apart for seals the rolling them on a good flat surface will show deflection.
     
  10. RickCoMatic

    RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    13,842
    Likes Received:
    68
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Massachusetts, Billerica
    I worried about you spending good money and winding-up being the only person still standing when the music stops.

    I you bought a bike that had the Triples bent, ... something else might-have got bent, too.

    So, before you spend a whole lot of money on parts, ... you want to be sure that what you are spending all the money on is going to:
    a) Run
    b) Not need latent defects repaired / $$$
    c) Isn't going to have a frame ~ geometry issue that will need the bike stripped-down to basics to have re-aligned.
     
  11. bigfitz52

    bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    21,283
    Likes Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Rural SE Michigan 60 miles N of Motown
    If it went down on the right, make sure the brake lever hasn't punched a hole in the clutch cover, for starters.

    I agree with Rick and Max-X; I'd get the plastics off and assess the whole thing, do a compression test, etc., BEFORE starting to dump $$$ into it. Just becase it runs doesn't mean it couldn't have some serious issues yet.
     
  12. TIMEtoRIDE

    TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

    Messages:
    4,686
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Clermont FL near Orlando
    Another trick to help you out - take the plate glass from a picture frame, lay against the fork tubes. When things are all OK, the glass will not rock.

    Welcome to the site !!
     
  13. genetxs

    genetxs New Member

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Marion Ohio
    I took the upper and lower fairings off, everything looks to be in good shape. I already got my plates on the bike, the title doesn't say rebuilt or salvage, I assume the title is okay then right? the bike runs fine, a little cold natured, but after it warms up it runs great. A friend of mine is gonna help me replace the triple trees next week. when I get the forks off I will check them. I did use a ruler on them and they seemed straight. So far I paid $1200 for the bike (7,400 miles on it) $46 for the triple tress including shipping. the bike seem to ride great, for the short 15 minute ride i took, when i noticed the handlebars where offset. I really like the way the bike looks, and I haven't seen another one with the lower fairing on it. I hope everything else is okay. I will let you guys know what I find out when my parts come friday. I cant thank you guys enough< for all your help!
     
  14. genetxs

    genetxs New Member

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Marion Ohio
    Installed new triple trees today, and my forks don't want to line up, yep they are bent. Does anyone know what years are compatible with my 95xj600 I am having a hard time finding a set. Thanks again...Tim
     
  15. Maxim-X

    Maxim-X Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,696
    Likes Received:
    76
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    London Ontario Canada
    I'd be going back to the P.O. and doing a little nut kicking. It won't solve the fork issue, but it might make you feel better.
    Just sayin.
     
  16. genetxs

    genetxs New Member

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Marion Ohio
    Yeah< i am very pissed, wife is not happy about my money saver...lol
    I found a few forks for sale but none of them my years, do you know if i could use an earlier year? Thanks
     
  17. Maxim-X

    Maxim-X Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,696
    Likes Received:
    76
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    London Ontario Canada
    Don't know if this will help, but the list below is what I found on another forum regarding fork swapping' The list shows the fork diameter, make, model and year, not sure of the fork length or if they are direct swaps.
    I hilighted your model, I think in red.
    I'm including the link to the forum so you can go look around if you want.
    http://www.customfighters.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=17555


    38 Honda CR-125R (81-83)
    38 Honda XR-250R (84-85)
    38 Kawasaki KX-80R2/R3/R4/R5/R6/R7 (92-97)
    38 Kawasaki KX-125 A6-A7 (80-81)
    38 Kawasaki KDX-200 A1-A3 (83-85)
    38 Kawasaki KX-250 A5-A7 (79-81)
    38 Kawasaki KDX-400 A1-A2 (79-80)
    38 Kawasaki KX-420 A1-A2 (80-81)
    38 Kawasaki KL-600A1 "KLR" (84)
    38 Kawasaki ZX-600C1-C6 "Ninja" (88-93)
    38 Kawasaki ZX-600C7-C10 "Ninja 600R" (94-97)
    38 Kawasaki KL-650A1-A18 "KLR650" (87-04)
    38 Kawasaki VN-700A1 "Vulcan" (85)
    38 Kawasaki VN-750A2-A20 "Vulcan" (86-04)
    38 Kawasaki ZX-750F1-F4 "Ninja" (87-90)
    38 Kawasaki ZL-900A1/A2 "Eliminator" (85-86)
    38 Kawasaki ZX-900A1-A3 "Ninja" (84-86)
    38 Kawasaki KZ-1000C1-C4 "Police" (78-81)
    38 Kawasaki KZ-1000J1-J3 (81-83)
    38 Kawasaki KZ-1000K1/K2 "Ltd" (81-82)
    38 Kawasaki KZ-1000P1-P20 "Police" (82-01)
    38 Kawasaki ZL-1000A1 (87)
    38 Kawasaki KZ-1100A1-A3 (81-83)
    38 Kawasaki KZ-1100B1/B2 "GP" (81-82)
    38 Kawasaki KZ-1100D1/D2 "Spectre" (82-83)
    38 Kawasaki ZN-1100B1/B2 "Ltd" (84-85)
    38 Suzuki RM-125 N/T/X/Z (79-82)
    38 Suzuki RM-125 D (83)
    38 Suzuki PE-175 Z/D/E (82-84)
    38 Suzuki RM-250 N/T/X/Z (79-82)
    38 Suzuki RM-400N/T (79-80)
    38 Suzuki LS-650 FG/PG/FH/PH/PJ (86-88)
    38 Suzuki LS-650 PS/PT/PV/PW/PX/PY/PK1/PK2/PK3 "Savage" (95-03)
    38 Yamaha YZ-125 H/J/K (81-83)
    38 Yamaha IT-175 J (82)
    38 Yamaha IT-175 K (83)
    38 Yamaha IT-250 H/J (81-82)
    38 Yamaha YZ-250 D/E/F/G (77-80)
    38 Yamaha FZR-400 U/SUC/W/SWC (88-89)
    38 Yamaha FZR-400 A/SAC (90)
    38 Yamaha YZ-400 D/E/F (77-79)
    38 Yamaha IT-465 H (81)
    38 Yamaha IT-465 J (82)
    38 Yamaha YZ-465 G (80)
    38 Yamaha XT-550 J/K (82-83)
    38 Yamaha FZR-600 W/WC/AC/B/BC (89-91)
    38 Yamaha FZR-600 RA/RAC/RB/RBC/RD/RDC/RE/REC (90-93)
    38 Yamaha FZR-600 RF/RFC/RG/RGC/RH/RHC/RJ/RJC (94-97)
    38 Yamaha XJ-600 SD/SDC/SE/SEC/SF/SFC/SG/SGC "Seca II" (92-96)
    38 Yamaha XJ-600 SH/SHC/SJ/SJC "Seca II" (96-97)

    38 Yamaha FZX-700S/SC/T/TC (86-87)
    38 Yamaha XJ-700N/NC/S/SC "Maxim" (85-86)
    38 Yamaha XJ-700 XN/XNC/XS/XSC "Maxim" (85-86)
    38 Yamaha XV-700L/LC/N/NC "Virago" (84-85)
    38 Yamaha XV-700CS/CSC/CT/CTC "Virago" (86-87)
    38 Yamaha XV-700 J1/J1C (97)
    38 Yamaha XV-750 U/UC/W/WC/A/AC/B/BC "Virago" (88-91)
    38 Yamaha XV-750 D/DC/E/EC/F/FC/G/GC/H1/H1C/J1/J1C "Virago" (92-97)
    38 Yamaha XV-1000 L/LC/N/NC "Virago" (84-85)
    38 Yamaha XV-1100 S/SC/T/TC/U/UC "Virago" (86-88)
    38 Yamaha XV-1100 W/WC/A/AC/B/BC/D/DC/E/EC "Virago" (89-93)
    38 Yamaha XV-1100 F/FC/G/GC/H/HC/J/JC "Virago" (94-97)
     
  18. genetxs

    genetxs New Member

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Marion Ohio
    Oh yes, that helps a lot!!!!!
    You are truly awesome!
    I am in your debt again.
     

Share This Page