1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

An 'Oh Hell' moment

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Rickinduncan, Apr 2, 2011.

  1. Rickinduncan

    Rickinduncan Member

    Messages:
    215
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Duncan, BC Canada
    So I decided to check my valves today on my 'new to me' 750 Seca. The good news was that everything was in spec. The bad news, as I was torquing down the valve cover bolts with a digital torque wrench set to 7.2 lbs, one of the bolts wouldn't begin to tighten. I'm guessing the previous owner had overtightened it at one time and stripped it out. Am I going to have a big problem with this? Would a heli coil fix it? I guess I would be feeling worse if I had done it! - Rick
     
  2. Ravenz07

    Ravenz07 Member

    Messages:
    723
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Pull the cover off, check the threads. Might be able to just tap it.
     
  3. RickCoMatic

    RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    13,842
    Likes Received:
    68
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Massachusetts, Billerica
    Depending upon which Bolt is stripped, ... you have several options.

    If the Threads are on a Cam Shaft "Bridge" (Not a Bearing cap), ... all you have to do is replace the Bridge.

    If its on a Bearing Cap:
    Insert a HeliCoil Thread Restorer.

    http://www.emhart.com/brands/heli-coil

    The Threads need to be Drilled and Tapped slightly oversize.
    A HeliCoil Insert placed into the newly tapped hole and permanently set.

    JB Weld (Not recommended)

    Spray the Fastener with Silicone Spray
    WRAP the Fastener with 2 or 3 Layers of Teflon Tape.
    Coat the Teflon with JB Weld.
    Place the Fastener in the Stripped Hole cleaned and prepared for the repair.
    Finger tighten.
    Remove excess.
    Let Cure. Remove fastener.
    (Keep TEFLON Tape between Fastener and JB Weld.)
     
  4. Rickinduncan

    Rickinduncan Member

    Messages:
    215
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Duncan, BC Canada
    It's one of the outside top end allen bolts on the valve cover, nothing internal.
     
  5. bigfitz52

    bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    21,283
    Likes Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Rural SE Michigan 60 miles N of Motown
    Heli-Coil it. My '81 came to me with all 4 of the outers on one side Heli-Coiled. It'll be fine.
     
  6. Robert

    Robert Active Member

    Messages:
    7,479
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Ventura CA
    Heli-coil, Thread-sert, Time-sert, Keenserts, all will fix the problem for little to more than a little money. I've had to fix a few on my "new-to-me" bikes due to over-zelous P.O.s. M6x1.0 and you're in business.
     
  7. Rickinduncan

    Rickinduncan Member

    Messages:
    215
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Duncan, BC Canada
    OK thanks guys. that doesn't sound too difficult or expensive. Not something I'm used to since I also own a goldwing! - Rick
     

Share This Page