1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Adding a SECA 650 back to my collection...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by kboehringer, Sep 9, 2017.

1. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

The instructions and assistance provided by Chacal for his parts make buying parts from him worth invaluable, not to mention it is the correct fit part.

I am ashamed to admit I went 18,000 miles and 20+ years between fork oil changes. When I did it a couple summers ago, it came out like tar, and STANK.

Simply changing the oil to straight 10w made a big difference in the ride after all these years.

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

That smell is like no other at least to me. I have been around lots of worldly smells and that old burnt nasty fork is bad.

3. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

"wordly smells"
    I like it. Sounds like what they clean up Sunday morning at the red house over yonder.

4. kboehringer

kboehringer Active Member

XJBikes Folks,
    It's been a while since I made any REAL progress on the SECA. This week was the exception and there's still SUNDAY! :)

First, I got a whole bag of Goodies from Len and the carbs have absolutely EVERYTHING NEW! I don't know where he finds all these bits and pieces but everything was top notch and unlike most re-sellers you actually get some directions from a guy that knows these bikes. The SECA ran nice and I was able to get the synchronization done too.... Fuel levels are a little out of spec so I got to pull them again and adjust it down a little and then re-check the sync... Otherwise, PERFECT!

Today it felt like spring in ATL with temps a degree or two short of 80! Perfect day to paint! So, the refurbished tank from the Junk Yard got a long over coat of PPG (JAU - Single Stage). Looks pretty good but I think the HUE is a little on the brighter side of the OEM color, flake level seems identical. Once all the pieces are done and painted I don't believe anyone will notice the SLIGHT difference. At about $30/pint for the pigment (+Reducer, +Hardener, Etc.) I'll live with the very slight variation from Yamaha's original.

I also decided to repair the original tank. Poured a gallon of Acetone in there and it did a pretty great job of dissolving the poorly installed liner. I brazed up the perforations and will install a POR15 liner kit after another rinse with clean Acetone. Not sure it makes much sense spending time on a second tank since the Junk Yard tank is looking great.....But it's not of any value whatsoever as a spare or otherwise in non-useable leaky condition.

SECA_Tank_R_SM.jpg SECA_TwoTanksSM.jpg Tank_B&F.jpg

Kurt

kosel and Plug like this.
  5. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Looking good!

What's that under the cover?

6. Plug

Plug Active Member

Wow!!!!! Looks good!

7. kboehringer

:D Just another one of my many toys :rolleyes:..... 1982 Chevrolet z-28
    TWINS_SM.jpg

8. kboehringer

Big SECA Update Today!

A day or so back I received my order from Germany..... a SECA oil cooler from a Junk Yard in Germany.

SECA_OilCooler2_Small.jpg
    It wasn't exactly cheap.... but not too bad, I don't think :confused:. Maybe it's better I don't know the Dollar-to-Euro conversion! :rolleyes:
    Obviously, this was not OEM in the U.S. But, driving in the Hot-Lanta region this is a good option to install!

I also received a set of replacement Carb Hats from Chacal at XJBikes.... Darn these bring a big smile to a guys face!!! WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT! :D
    SECA_CarbCaps_B&A_Small.jpg
    Perfect Fit. Perfect Finish. FANTASTIC! Thanks Len! Great Product!

XJ650 Maxim 1 Donor Bike

On top of all these other great goodies.... I grabbed a "Parts Bike" XJ650Maxim from over in 'Bama. I was hopeful to be able to use a couple parts on my XJ550, a few parts and back-ups for the SECA (since the engine configuration is the same), but the bike was not as good as I had hoped it would be.

The tank looks like swiss cheese on the bottom and a previous owner was apparently trying to do a valve adjustment. There is strong evidence he used a vice grip on the bolts on the cam sprockets.... DUH!. He also removed all the cam caps and nuts for some reason...... Obviously, not sure of the condition of the Top End. Hopefully, he didn't bend any valves or punch one into a pistons. :eek: Regardless, the bike will provide a few replacement parts and a couple of good spares. For $125..... It was worth the risk. I've already pulled the motor stripped a lot of parts, once I have what I need I'll kick the bones to the curb......

Maxim650_Donor2_Small.jpg

I hadn't been able to do too much lately due to work demands but we took a good step forward today....

KURT

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

did the maxim come with an exhaust? you will like this. someone in germany is looking for a maxim 650 exhaust.looked at photo i see one but do not know if he can use a 4 to 1

do you want to sell that yamaha fork Badge? I need one for my 83 750 maxim.

10. kboehringer

The exhaust is worthless. Looks like the P.O. went for a motocross off road ride with it. Two center tubes smashed bad and small holes too. I thought about it as man-cave wall art but its no good for that either.....

The badge is garbage, sun burned and cracked. I would have been happy to GIVE it to you, but it's not worth the value of a stamp to mail it.

11. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Oh, is that all?

12. Madmax-im

Madmax-im Member

Another awesome rebuild Kurt..I've always liked these bikes...It looks pretty damn good already..At the rate you're going you're gonna need a 2nd garage or an addition to the existing space..it was crowded 2 yrs ago when we had Swampthing there...have fun..Look forward to seeing y'all at the Vintage Yamaha Rally in Sept...:cool: :D ;)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  13. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The conversion rate to Euros is pretty good at the moment. You saved about 20%.

14. kboehringer

Sunday seems to be SECA day lately.....

Rebuilt the carbs to pristine condition thanks to piles of parts from Chacal :)....

But they don't work so well if the floats are set higher than the top of the bowls.... Tends to run a little rich :eek:.

I have a stand (of sorts) I use to check my 1100 carbs but the SECA Hitachi's are so much smaller it required a bit of quickie re-fabrication to get it working with them. The bride is completely "unhappy" (replace with a more colorful word) as I decided to do this inside.... WHOLE house smells like regular unleaded. DUH! :oops:

Hopefully, I can get these down into spec and the fans will get the smell out....Darn that was dumb...

SECA_CarbFloat_1.JPG

Kurt

15. XJ550H

hope you have a fire extinguisher at your side.. buy a tent and do it out doors !
    if you set the fuel levels on each carb when out of the rack it is easier.you just need i holder. rubber plumbing pipe connectors work or a vise.
    then when you get the first one set you can measure float height set the next one dry then wet set to confirm and adjust.

I was over this guys house this weekend he had a motor on the kitchen island one on the dining room table and his 4 wheeler in the living room.

16. XJ550H

just looked at your photo 2 bikes in the house. use the 2 carb boots attach to a piece of plywood and you have a base to hook to your carb stand

17. JetmechMarty

JetmechMarty Active Member

Unlikely he's cohabitating with a woman. I have a couple of friends who are committed to living single. They bring whatever they want into the house.

18. XJ550H

correct on that

19. kboehringer

SECA Sunday Again.....

Yesterday I picked up my seat from the upholstery guy......
    SECA_SeatClose.JPG SECA_SeatRF.JPG SECA_SeatRR.JPG
    This saddle cover was purchased from Chacal and appears to be a perfect reproduction of the original. I wasn't comfortable trying the install myself so I took the new saddle cover to an experienced local upholstery guy. He did a really nice job getting this installed properly.

I finally got all the float levels correct but carb synchronization is proving extremely difficult. I can get 1->2 equal and 4->3 equal but I get no response to bringing the pairs together. These sure don't act the same as the Mikuni's on my 1100's! I'm gonna set her aside for the rest of the day++ and come back to it again later....

Thanks LEN, Perfect Seat!

Kurt

Madmax-im and chacal like this.
  20. Madmax-im

Madmax-im Member

Sweet seat..they did fine work ... looks really perfect on the bike...