1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Complete XJ650 Rebuild

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Devin Zdanciewicz, Feb 8, 2016.

1. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

Here is a crappy picture of where it goes (circled), hopefully that helps (Note that the engine is upside down in the picture).

Attached Files:

Devin Zdanciewicz likes this.
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It just slides into place. The tabs the fit into slots, and the clutch cover secures the oil baffle.

3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Gnat, your picture is upside down!

4. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

Ha ha, the picture is actually right side up, the engine is upside down, or maybe I was just sideways when taking it! Funny thing is, that is how I took it, but when I saved it to mark it up, it was rotated so that the engine was right side up, but when I uploaded it here, it is now back to "upside down"

5. Devin Zdanciewicz

Devin Zdanciewicz Member

Excellent, that helps big time.

6. Devin Zdanciewicz

Devin Zdanciewicz Member

Here were my two questions after being able to ride it around for a bit yesterday.

1. I finally got the bike to idle pretty well on the center stand between I'd say 1200 and 1600 rpm. When I jump of the stand and ride around, shift through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and just barely get into 4th. Everything runs smooth. But when I get back down to 1st and try to throttle a little it speeds up very slowly and when I switch into 2nd, it gets worse. But if I stop and sit a little bit, it gets slightly better.
    It feels like it is not getting enough gas, like I have lowered the fuel levels in the bowls and they haven't caught up from accelerating through the gears the first time?
    I moved my tank from run to prime and that seems to help sort of.
    Could this be a fuel levels thing, need to adjust my floats? I used the clear tube to test the fuel heights but to be honest, it is tricky to make sure all 4 are right. Gonna check them again.

2. I can shift through gears easy but after I am in a gear, I get some heavy clunking. The noise is hard to explain but I can defiantly feel it in my feet and it is pretty unsettling sound. Almost like the clutch is catching very hard. Not sure if my above post with the oil baffle is part of it or not.
    I messed with the tightness of the clutch and it didn't seem to make much difference. It is also very hard to get into neutral while it is running. As soon as I shut the bike off, neutral is a breeze.
    Not sure is something is sticking or off?

Looking to see if anyone has answers or heard of these problems. As always, anything helps!!!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  7. Devin Zdanciewicz

Devin Zdanciewicz Member

Got it out again tonight and messed with the clutch. I actually think the clutch is alright but here is a video of me walking it back to my garage. The bike is off and in neutral.
    (The video will not load from my phone)
    I will try and find another way but where the rubber boot is that is between the swing arm and the back of the engine, you can hear the clicking in there. As I Walked it back to my garage, it would catch and stop me from moving while in neutral.

8. k-moe

You need to load all videos and photos to a hosting site and embed/link.

Sounds to me like you have a u-joint that has failed. Peel the gator back and have a look at it. WIth the bike on the center stand and the trans in neutral you can spin the rear tire and watch the u-joint. There should be no slop in the cross-joint. If there is any then it will need to be replaced. Yamaha didn't make them easily rebuildable.

9. Devin Zdanciewicz

Devin Zdanciewicz Member

Got any tips on getting that gator off easily? That thing was a B to get off and on the first time.
    I will have to take a look at it this week.

10. k-moe

It just peels off. Warm it with a hair dryer to make it a bit more stretchy.

11. Devin Zdanciewicz

Devin Zdanciewicz Member

12. Devin Zdanciewicz

Devin Zdanciewicz Member

not sure it that worked and sorry for the shakeyness. hard to film and move the bike. at about 13-20 seconds you can see it catch and shake the whole engine. Every other time I moved forward and stopped was because it was catching, not me braking or anything.

13. k-moe

Can you confirm that you really are in neutral? Try starting it without pulling in the clutch.

14. Devin Zdanciewicz

Devin Zdanciewicz Member

As far as I know, yes that is neutral. 1. My N light is on and 2. That is the only time I can roll the bike with it turned off. If I pushed hard enough to roll past that click it will roll freely for a bit and then catch again. It is completely random when it clicks. When I was moving while the bike was on in 1st or 2nd, you could hear it clicking like that sparadically.
    I do not have the relay connected to start the bike only in neutral. So as long as I have the clutch pulled in, it will start. I had to by pass it for now. I know it is dumb to not have that safety connected. Not sure if that is what you are referring too.
    Also not sure if this has anything to do with what is currently happening. But when the bike is on the center stand and in N. If I was to spin the back wheel by hand, you can hear that click happen slightly. Something it catching but I am not sure what. I know this is vauge, I am just trying to locate the possible problem before I pull everything apart.

15. k-moe

OK. That pretty well seals the deal. U-joint failure.

Unless......have you lowered the rear suspension?

16. k-moe

Nevermind. I looked back and see stock shocks on it.

Peel back the gator. I'm fairly certain that you'll find a sloppy U-joint.

17. Devin Zdanciewicz

Devin Zdanciewicz Member

So I think I found out what my problem was
    image.jpeg
    These are 3 of the 4 bolts that connect the u-joint to the engine... F me

The 4th is yet to be found but sounds like it is in the swing are itself.

No idea what happened to it or how it came loose. Need to take apart the whole swing arm and check the damage.

rocs82650 likes this.
  18. k-moe

Umm......crap. That's not supposed to happen. Someone had that apart before; the bolts are normally somewhat difficult to break loose.

19. Devin Zdanciewicz

Devin Zdanciewicz Member

Yea was not happy to find that but at the same time, glad I could find the problem that quickly and have it be that blatant.
    2 bolts were off, one unfound so far, one laying inside the gator. The 3rd came off with a little pressure and the 4th was pretty difficult to get off.
    Like I said, gonna take the swing arm off and check everything out, hopefully nothing bad.
    When I go and put it all back together with new bolts was thinking about adding thread lock to them?
    Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

Hopefully after this I can be back to riding around and doing final adjustments.

k-moe likes this.
  20. k-moe

They should definately have thread-locking compound on them. Medium strength.

In terms of cost, be very happy that the problem was loose bolts and not a failed u-joint. Getting a good used one can be tricky, and new costs $$$.