1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Turbo Seca dyno results

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by oilheadron, Dec 16, 2011.

1. slowboattochina

slowboattochina Member

PS: Be nice or I won't give you the present Santa has coming in the mail.

2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

LOL...you guys are a trip......I still remember the first time I saw a 69 Mach 3....it was up at our local hangout and John Wenzel had just bought it. He was the local kid who's parents would buy him anything but never invested any time as parents. You know the kind...he had all the cool stuff but none of us really wanted his parents.....he had that 500 triple and Mark Wheewell had a cb750....it wasn't even a race, the H1 flat destroyed the Honda.

Devo, go ahead and insert the 3/8" flat washer behind the spring, that will get it set to about 21psi...but I'm gonna slap you upside the head if you bypass the wastegate<LOL>....spend the whole 20 bucks and get the controller.....that way you'll have two safeties...the wastegate and the bov. Then set your controller to 18 and you'll be good to go without ruining your turbo by causing turbo-stall!

I don't know how many you can list in the sig but I figured there's no point to listing bikes I no longer have so I only list my present bikes.

jeff

3. devo1

devo1 Member

Jeff, I ordered a boost controller yesterday. My mechanic (we have four 7.3 powerstrokes at work) kinda frowned at me too when I said something about bypassing the wastegate. I'll get pics of the boost gauge installed this weekend.

4. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

smart move...I slap hard<ROTFLMAO>. It would work with just the bov providing the pressure relief but it causes the turbine/impeller to go from 200,000rpm to near zero suddenly instead of slowing down gradually. The guy, PP from the turbo board sent me a lengthly explaination of why it's so bad for the life of your turbo even though it will work in the short run.

Another thing that you'll want to avoid is to chop the throttle while at full boost!! This is a biggie for 2 reasons. The first is the obvious fact of cutting the throttle also cuts the cooling & lubricating oilflow to your turbo. It has the effect of being at its hottest possible temps and you just cut off the flow of oil to it! Not a good thing. The second reason is that chopping the throttle can also induce turbo stall by forcing the pressurized air backwards across the impeller. This happens because it's running in one direction from the impeller to the carb slides.....and it's moving very fast. If you shut the "door" by closing the throttles, the stream of air hits the door and basically, "bounces" backwards against the impeller. My factory supercharged car has a special motorized valve to handle this but our bikes do not. The lesson I drew from all this is to only use full boost when I know that I have time and space to roll off the throttle gradually. so far, it's working just fine.

What surprised me was that Yamaha in their "powerup kit" did exactly that instead of doing it the right way. I guess they were desperate to out perform the Honda CX's and wanted the cheapest possibly way since the decision not to continue the turbo line had already been made.

You are going to have a kickass bike by the time you get it done and since you're doing it correctly, it's gonna last too!

jeff

5. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I wanted to put this in a separate post. I met a ebay seller lastnight. I had bought something from him and didn't notice that he was also from Md. and he dropped it off at my house, turns out, he lives 5 minutes away. He left his number on the package so I called him back and it turns out that he has a Kaw GPZ750T turbo! The Kaw turbo was unquestionably the fastest of all the factory turbos (into the 11's), some say even faster than the special edition Z1RTC. I told him what I've done to mine and that I want to run it against his...just for S's & G's. So hopefully, sometime this spring (he won't ride in the winter) we'll get a chance to see how the Yammy stacks up against the bigger bike.

jeff

6. oilheadron

oilheadron Member

Cool. I haven't had time yet to find out exactly what the Power-Up kit consisted of and what exactly it does. Can you give me a primer?? :)

7. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

The powerful kit just plugged the wastegate actuator and let the bov provide the only control of the turbo. It was retrofitted to the 82's. The boost increased from 8 to 12 or so but did it exactly the wrong way. I'm convinced that its the reason the 82s all need the turbo rebuilt even though they have low miles

8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Well, it's been 6-1/2 years since that last post....and I've grown my bike collection somewhat by restoring several bikes in the past half dozen years but my Turbo is still putting a smile on my face! That guy with the kaw turbo is still around but he flakes out every time I try to meet up with him! This is what I posted over on the Turbo forum this past Sunday.....

....100% stock with the exception of the boost controller which allows me to run at 18PSI and a fender washer tucked behind the PRV in the surge tank to raise the blow off pressure to 21PSI which acts as my second "safety". If I ever want to bring it back to 100% original, it will only take me an hour.

My buddy with the Kaw turbo never responded to my call or text but I went on a nice 20 some mile ride and while filling up with Shell 93, a guy walks over saying "wow, that bike is gorgeous". I thanked him of course and we started talking. He was around our age but it turns out he bought one new in '82 and loved it. He kept it for years before selling it but he couldn't get over how original my bike was. It isn't often that we meet people who remember the Yammy turbo much less actually bought one when new!

I took this pic on my ride last weekend...........
    [​IMG]

jeff

9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Good to see you again, Jeff----

10. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Thanks brother.....I stumbled across the forum and thought...hmm, wonder if I ever joined this one<LOL>....that's what happens when you restore a lot of different bikes and join a lot of forums...but I plugged in my email and it sent me to the reset page and wa la.....!

I'm going to go wandering around...is Big Fitz still around??

jeff

11. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Big Fitz is on a hiatus.
    Miss him.

12. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting me know....that's the prob with forums....guys disappear and we don't know if they just changed interests or worse...hopefully he'll be back. A pita as I remember but he helped a lot of the new guys.....

jeff

13. Stumplifter

:D:p:)
    A royal one at that - but the truth he speaketh.

Every time I type "check your valve clearances" I think of him.

k-moe likes this.
  14. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I never found him to be that......

k-moe likes this.
  15. Stumplifter

Technically NO - not a PITA at all because his advice (as well as many others here) is good advice given with the richest intent of helping others.

The effect of his brutal straightforwardness combined with the sometimes 1 dimensional interpretation of the printed/ typed word could come across as harsh to those with tender feelings.

I always imagine Fitz in real life being somewhat like Walt Kowalski.

Rooster53 and hogfiddles like this.