1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I'm back - and my f-in oil filter is stuck

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Ribo, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    Hey guys,

I finally came out of hibernation from the winter - bloody cold out here. ;)

Got rounds to doing an oil change and the damn filter bolt won't budge. At this point I've go at it too much and it's a little rounded off too - I know - I know. Before anyone asks, yes I was using metric socket set.

Any advice of freeing this sucker would be appreciated. I did an oil change just before xmas and just did it up to specified torque. I'm kicking my self for not going spin-on but hey hum - l will now if I can get this fecker off.

Cheers
    Rich./

2. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

is your metric socket a 6 point or 12 point socket?

FU

3. wink1018

wink1018 Active Member

Tap it with a hammer while holding pressure (loosening) with a wrench.

Try adding a dab of antiseize to the threads of the bolt before installing the next filter.

4. Gulrok

Gulrok Member

5. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

6. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

6 point - it's tighter than a nun's chuf. I even put it in the the freezer overnight but the thing still won't budge.

7. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

wait, what? you put the whole engine in the freezer?!

nuns chuf... too funny!

FU

8. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

haha - nah dude - I put the socket in the freezer - tip from the old grandpa, metal shrinks when cold so it should fit tighter. Actaully worked too but it still didn't budge the nut.

9. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

gotcha! never heard of that one before. have you tried warming the engine up then cracking it loose?

FU

10. BleedingOxide

BleedingOxide Member

This bolt might be a tad large for the following method, but:
    Heat the bolt, Get a socket thats just a lil too small. Hammer it onto the bolt, deforming the bolt head to fit the socket.
    Or, use a dremel to cut slots in the washer, that will allow you to slot a screwdriver against it in the direction you want to turn it (45 degree angle kinda thing)
    So if it wants to turn anticlockwise, cut a slot to the left of the bolt and hammer down on it.

11. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Ribo.....here's the thing to do if the other sockets don't work:

Get your grinder, grind the head down til you get close to the aluminum. then go real slow and careful. You'll see the steel turn blue just before you cut through into the aluminum, so go reeeal slow when you're almost at the bottom of the bolt head.

I like to take it down to just the thin 'ring' left then carefully use a pick/awl/punch to bend the rest out of the way. Once enough is bent out of the way, the spring inside will make the cap pop out. Be ready with an oil pan. Once the cap is off, the bolt can be vise gripped, but there's not not going to be much tension on that.....its been in the oil all it's life.

What to do from here? Simple: get a new bolt. If you screwed up the cap, it's no big deal. There's plenty of them still around......they are NOT rare like some ebay people like to think.

So, basically, grind the head off, replace the bolt. Do an oil and filter change as normal. Replace the cap if needed. I would recommend getting the bolt with the larger head. Makes it easier next time.

Dave Fox

12. wizard

wizard Active Member

See what looks like a washer, is actually part of the nut, knock it round with a long cold chisel.

13. Gulrok

Gulrok Member

Unfortunately I don't know if the Go2socket will work.. but it is worth a shot.

You can always try a grip tite.

http://www.griptitetools.com/

14. mpg87

mpg87 New Member

Get an 1/2" drive spiral extractor socket 12mm from Mac or Snappy for $12.00. It worked on my XJ1100 when I rounded it off!

15. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Yeah - I've really messed this up now - doh - can't believe how soft that nut is. I got the Go2 Socket and it just destroyed the nut. I tried to cut it down with a dremmel to give the socket something to hold onto - a flat edge but now I just have a 1/2 inch round nipple. What do I do now?

16. hogfiddles

Put an oil pan under the bike, grind the rest of the head off--- go carefully as you approach the aluminum.. Use a light chisel carefully as you bend off the last bit of " collar" from the bolt head. At some point the filter will "pop" loose from the spring pressure inside. Once the cover is off, just grab the rest of the bolt with pliers and remove it. Don't worry about scratching it ---- it's junk, throw it away.... There's plenty out there to get easily get a replacement. I'd recommend getting one that has the larger head, but if you're regular on oil changes, it won't be a problem anyway... And don't tighten the snot out of it.
    Gee. I feel like typed a lot of this before-_

17. hogfiddles

Hmmmm.... Look at that---I did.

18. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

lol - ok ok fair play - thanks for the advice.

19. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

ok so I ground this down now to the point where this is just a flat disk - I'm a little unsure what to do now - do I start cutting into the disk - if so where? where does the aluminum part start? Should I be concerned about the combination of sparks and oil?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. hogfiddles

You're close, but need to grind the thickness of the "washer" yet... As you get close just go really carefully. I see the metal turn blue as it gets hot. When it's really thin it turns blue a LOT QUICKER.... You'll see it turn quicker, the faster it turns color the slower you need to go. Just barely kissing it with the grinder.