1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

COLORADO!!

Discussion in 'Western US and Canada' started by Brhille, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Brhille

Brhille New Member

Hey guys, any other Denver or Mid-West foothills riders out there???

2. co.dirtbiker

co.dirtbiker New Member

Castle Rock. I just picked up an '83 Seca 750. It'll be a little while before I get it on the road though...it's in desperate need of some front brake work.

3. arby

arby New Member

Arvada. Bought my bike from a friend in Longmont last month, took about 3 weekends to get it road worthy.

4. Brhille

Brhille New Member

Nice! Welcome to the "club". My friend and I are trying to all the rides in we can before snow falls. We should have a CO ride, let me know if you would be interested.

5. Massimo33

Massimo33 Member

South Denver, picked up an 82 Maxim 750 at the end of June been working on it ever since, bike is not quite running yet, but that should be remedied in the next few weeks. :D :D :D

6. co.dirtbiker

co.dirtbiker New Member

Still a work in progress, but after several weeks of trying to get the right parts, its back on the road.

New brakes, front and back. Steering stem bearings. Oil, filters, rewired all the electrical in the fairing, (I have no idea what was going on in there...somehow they ended up with wires connected back to themselves - probably had something to do with the fried pin on the connector) new tires, replaced a bunch of missing/mismatched/stripped fastners, new cables.

Still on the list is to check/adjust the valves, pull and clean the carbs, and get it all sync'd and tuned. Its really not running too bad though other than being completely flat up to about 2800RPM, then a sudden burst of power.

I've been using it as my daily commuter for a couple weeks now. Other than the flat spot, I really like it. Its got the full touring package, which makes it a bit more unusual. Handy to have all that storage, and that fairing is nice on the chilly fall mornings.

Word of caution: Bike Bandit seems to have some errors in their parts listings on this bike. The "All Balls" steering stem bearings they sent me weren't even close. They said they were fixing the listing, but I haven't verified that yet. Even the "right" ones aren't perfect. Then seemed a little taller than the factory bearings, which spreads the triple clamps slightly further apart, and the seals they came with are wrong. Also, the brake and clutch levers aren't even close either. The problem goes all the way back to Tucker Rocky - their catalog has them wrong too. So far I have not tracked down aftermarket ones that fit.

I'd love to get together with some other Seca enthusiasts in the area, but my weekends are pretty booked for the rest of the season.

7. 2011rex87

2011rex87 Member

Hey guys metro denver here too xj750 seca. Runs and drives but needs work, like front brakes. Ordering parts..

8. trailsnail

trailsnail Member

Colorado Springs here. Picked up a 650 not too long ago. Hope to see some of you on the road.

9. junkmn

junkmn Member

Westminster here. Hoping to have mine complete int he next couple of weeks. It is all tore down for paint at the moment.

10. trailsnail

trailsnail Member

Nice, hope to see you out on the road when your done.

11. rgadams22

rgadams22 New Member

Hey, new to the xj site and the xj bikes. I have a 81 750 Seca and I'm in north Arvada. Noticed there are few of you in the neighborhood, we will have to set up a cruise one of these days.

12. trailsnail

trailsnail Member

Sounds good to me.

13. geftang

geftang New Member

Castle Rock - 83 Midnight Maxim 750 - rides well but could use some carb work and front fork seals

14. deepearth

deepearth New Member

Lakewood Golden area. Just finishing up some general maintenance stuff. I will probably ride this winter because of those warm 50 degree days we have. Never been one to give up a ride when available.

15. deepearth

deepearth New Member

I just finished my carb rebuild. Pay careful attention when tearing down and reassembling. Take lots of pre- disassembly pictures and notes where your jets are concerned. Swapped jets will make you cry. I also pull off my intake boots and replace the gaskets. They tend to leak and cause vacuum loss resulting in poor low end performance. I make my own gaskets using N-8092 Interface 1/32 material. It's a little tedious but the larger gaskets seal better. Just a question but have you checked your air filter? Sometimes a dirty air cleaner will create low end performance issues and destroy your gas mileage. Also keep in mind that there was a European model and a Japanese model. Both are set up differently. There is no air/fuel adjustment on the Euro models. One used the Mikuni (Euro) and the other Hitachi (Japanese) Well, have fun and feel free to drop a note if you have questions.

16. deepearth

deepearth New Member

I'm in the lakewood area.

17. Steve R

Steve R Member

Good morning fellow XJ riders! Mine is almost done. Still having idle problems. 2 Carb rebuilds later. Mine was a non runner when i got her in April sat for 15 years. Also did a fork swap with Maxim forks, new seals, rebuilt calipers, master cylinder, new pads, replaced rotors. Did valve shims. Just done painting. Rebuilt the gauge cluster. FYI the Balls Out master cylinder rebuild kits will not fit the 1981 to 1983 XJ 750. The seals are to small. Anyway i am in Colorado Springs. I could use a little help with my idle problem. After the carb rebuild drove for a day or so. The idle would start to race. Parked it and started other very needed work. I could use a fresh set of eyes and ears. Anyone interested??? OH! Mine is 1983 XJ 750 Seca.

18. deepearth

deepearth New Member

I'm in Lakewood. Just finished a full restore on my 82 Maxim.

Attached Files:

19. Steve R

Steve R Member

Running and on the road!

20. Steve R

Steve R Member

1448130901303.jpg