1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Help with automatic cancel

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by lostboy, Feb 1, 2016.

1. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I would like to get the automatic flasher canceler to work. I need to know the order of operation of the canceler. Will it cancel after a time when sitting still. I know it should cancel after traveling a distance. I have so far tested the reed switch for a signal when the front wheel is spun by hand. This is good. The flasher is stock with no changes in the wiring. How can I test this when the bike is on the work stand?

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

It will cancel after ~10 seconds or 150 feet, whichever is greater. The idea is at low speeds, the cancel is triggered by distance (longer than 10 seconds but not yet traveled 490') and at high speed, time cancels it out (490 ' traveled but hasn't been 10 seconds). The FSM has a good troubleshooting section on the feature.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  3. lostboy

I looked at my Clymer manual but not the FSM. Will report back.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

it will cancel after distance traveled there is no timer i.n the xj 550 so you can sit with it flashing all day at a light.

this is what it says in the maxim owners manual which implies you have to be moving for it to cancel after 10 seconds, so I either move to fast and cover the distance before 10 seconds is up or it does not time out.
    and yamaha thinks you would have traveled that far in 10 seconds.
    flasher.PNG

49 feet per second is 33.4 mph so I guess I accelerate a little faster than the timer.
    I am going to check this I am thinking of sneeking in a ride tomorrow most of the snow and ice is gone

5. robbo

robbo Member

mine works every now and then when it feels like it.always has since i have owned the bike.

6. jayrodoh

The 81 650 and 550 have the same module (1A0-83395-03-00) so according to the FSM there should be a timer. Even with the timer you can sit at a light all day if functioning properly. Think of it as a AND logic gate, both conditions must be met to cancel. At a stop/low speed, 10 seconds can elapse prior to hitting 490 feet. At higher speeds, you'll travel 490 before 10 seconds has elapsed.

7. XJ550H

movement to operate ,which ever comes first time or distance to cancel .
    but it is meters not feet.
    I usaly cancel the directional my self because it takes to long to operate for my liking

8. jayrodoh

'Doh! I corrected my previous posts to 490'.

9. jayrodoh

Here is the troubleshooting steps if needed.

SelfCancel.png

lostboy and XJ550H like this.
  10. lostboy

It is still cold here.l need to figure out a way to recreate movement in the shop. I did hook up a drill to the speedo cable I could only get about 20 to 25 kph. I may try a dremmel tool with higher rpm's.

11. XJ550H

if when you tested the reed switch you spun the tire you can do the same for the canceler lift on to center stand and spin the tire until it has spun enough to equal 490 feet , measure the tire circumference and divide that into 490 feet for revs to = 490
    you would have to spin speedo cable at 33 mph for 10+ seconds for distance reset book is unclear at what speed the timer would work.
    this is not that important that it can not wait until you can ride it. and you only have to go 500 feet.

20 mph is 30 feet per second you would have to spin that fast for 16.5 plus seconds to make canceler to work on distance traveled

49 feet per sec is 33.4 mph and takes 10 seconds Read the trouble shooting posted about time
    google feet per second for a converter

12. lostboy

The canceler is the only thing that doesn't work on the bike. It would be cool to have everything work on a bike
    of this vintage.

13. XJ550H

i do understand that , the unit is available on ebay if yours is bad.
    if your unit is good it should work by spinning the wheel or speedo cable with a drill.
    the test is listed above from repair manual
    from what you have said I do not think your unit works.
    if you have spun the speedo close to 20 mph for 30 seconds the unit should have responded

14. jayrodoh

Ditto. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent fixing weird features on various old vehicles etc.

15. XJ550H

you peaked my interest.
    so I went out put bike on center stand blocked the front end up after removing the caliper(need to rebuild it) turned on key, and turn signals and spun the front tire. I slap turned it to a count of 110 and the turn signals canceled out. unpluged the canceler and directionals started flashing again.
    the repeted test with a known bad unit no results. then put in the good unit and tested again 110 slaps later off the turn signals went. speedo was barely registering .
    so there is your test.
    good luck.
    I will say because of how the fsm talks about the timer (not distance) not working at slow speeds you can not do a timed out test.

16. lostboy

Thanks XJ550. I will be out in the shop slapping my tire this weekend.

17. XJ550H

that sounds soooo wrong

Stumplifter likes this.
  18. jayrodoh

Lol. Well if he can slap it 450' in under 10 seconds he might get to test that timer logic. This would be youtube worthy of course.

19. lostboy

Well I slapped the front wheel around and around but the light would not cancel. I did all the tests in the FSM and all checked correct. I did swap the canceler unit from my second bike but it didn't work. I'm going to put this to rest till I start riding. Maybe actual moving will cause it to start working. Thanks for all your help with this.

20. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    I understand the desire to get this working on a stock bike -- I just want to say that it's best safety practice to get in the habit of always canceling manually regardless. This is just good sense as you may not always be riding a bike that has an auto-cancel and even where you do have one, it can fail and you should just develop the muscle memory to do this. This always was and is designed to be a fail safe.

Teaching new riders, especially those that have been riding without any instruction for a while I can't count the number of times I hear - "oh you don't need to cancel your turn signals on this bike - they do it themselves". Yes you do.

I used to ride with this guy that as cool as he was, for the life of him just wouldn't cancel his turn signals - one night on a camping ride we wired his turn signal in parallel to his horn... He didn't forget after that.

JustinOther1 and cnewman like this.