1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Aussie XJers

Discussion in 'Other' started by brenton, May 9, 2006.

1. Rebem

Rebem Member

That's nice of you oby. Just XJ900 parts or other bikes too?

I will need some shims for my XJ650 shortly and I'm a little worried about sourcing them here in Perth... or Australia for that matter.

2. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

Rebem likes this.
  3. oby_2

oby_2 Member

Sorry, XJ900 parts only Im afraid. I've bought parts from XJ4Eva (Chacal I think is his moniker) on this forum. He's in the US and was always reliable and timely. I also bought parts from a place in the Netherlands. It was cheap - about 1/3 the cost of buying them locally. You could google them I'm sure. Good luck.

Rebem likes this.
  4. GaryM

GaryM New Member

wemoto NSW is another source of parts.

dnardy likes this.
  5. dnardy

dnardy New Member

My XJ doesn't get ridden all that often and i've been thinking of adding a fuel additive to clean the fuel system every now and again. Yankees swear by Seafoam or berrymans b12, is there an equivalent here in Aus?

6. dnardy

dnardy New Member

Has anyone got a link to some aftermarket rear blinkers, available in Australia, that are easy to fit to a '81 XJ750? Also in the market for tyres, what's everyone's recommendations?

7. Rebem

Rebem Member

Just got a set of Pirelli Sport Demons put on mine. Not cheap but they felt good on the ride home. Good reviews from what I can see.

8. dnardy

dnardy New Member

Yeah they're what I'm leaning towards. What did you pay?

9. Rebem

Rebem Member

480 fitted but I didn't shop around. Was getting the bike over the pits through the same guy so I just paid up.

10. ADragonsTail

ADragonsTail Member

I paid $400 fitted for sport demons about 3 weeks ago. It was the same price as 5 years ago.

11. mr blackstock

mr blackstock New Member

I hear great things about the Pirelli's, although I reckon the Bridgestone BT45's have suited me well, and they're cheaper. I recently bought some 2nd hand Koni shocks off pakenham wreckers for $200, and I have to say the difference in the ride is huge! No more "chatter" over the bumps, and the rear feels well "planted". Just have to refresh the front forks, remove the 20 cent coin spacers and get some feel back into the forks....

A bit chilly coming into work this morning! IMG_20170822_070928.jpg

12. gordan

gordan New Member

Great read everyone.. been a guest for so long now that I've built up the guts to gossip ..... :) Retired this week, long time since something added. I've owned several bikes (Home made mini and midget bikes, Honda's, Suzuki's,Trupy, then the '02 Silver XJ900sp - brand new back in December 2002, (last shipment of XJ,s to Australia, so I was told.) with a full set of Givi panniers installed here.(top and sides) .
    Best bike I've ever owned, not that its had much riding, just finished the big checks and service today (07/17) in readiness for the Australian summer and filled in the book 40,000klm. Yep!. thats right a genuine 40,000klm.(no wonder its been faultless.)Full oils changed front and back. New Brake pads front and back. Went to Pablo's Glen Waverley for the second set of pirelli GTS's. (dam good tyre and fitting service) and the '09 battery checked and tested. Home again for a slight clutch cable adjustment and a tweak on the "Throttlemeister"speed control, done. Fitted the new "Eagle" extended touring tinted screen for a bit more wind break, a little test ride between showers, its good and no extra noise. Not much to tighten, but checked anyway. All done.
    Now that I've just retired I'm hoping to get some touring done. The further-est its done in one heap is with the misses on the back around, up and down Tasmania. Memories....that when we appreciated the seat cover. Plan is to Uluru and back, which I have every bit of confidence the Xj900 can do with ease and comfort on the lambwool. (now to trip planner)
    Until next post ... Gordan.

Frapfrap and MattiThundrrr like this.
  13. mr blackstock

mr blackstock New Member

14. xjmat

xjmat New Member

Hey!

What is this talk of removing the 20 cent coin spacers? Are they the spacers beneath the oil seals???

I am having a dick of a time trying to get my hands on some in Australia - do we not need them?

15. mr blackstock

mr blackstock New Member

G'day,

The spacers I inserted a few years ago. Placing them just under the fork screw cap adds a little pre-load to the springs. A poor man's attempt to increase firmness without adding more oil. The best solution is to buy some new springs for around $180 from Ikon Australia. Made a massive difference in my FJ.

people used to put all sorts of things under the fork cap to increase pre-load. many would argue against using them. Try instead to get your oil levels right, and the right viscosity.

cheers, Gareth

16. dnardy

dnardy New Member

Something I can't pass up has come along so I have to sell my 1981 XJ750:
    Good, complete bike, rides well. Tidy up or ride as is. Sounds awesome. Bit of work done by previous owner and myself (receipt available). Has new battery. Currently on club rego so non-transferable. (but very cheap rego). Luggage rack included.
    Bad points:
    Clutch starting to slip on gear changes.
    Has oil leaks.
    Keen to sell, price negotiable. $1500 ono. Near Albury Wodonga NSW DSC_0851 (Large).JPG

17. mr blackstock

mr blackstock New Member

G'day,
    I came across this for sale on ebay, the seller says "good for parts only". After having a real close look, I sent him a message asking which parts exactly were good for anything... I'll see what happens, but I reckon $250 is a bit steep. Everything looks shagged out!
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172972393225?ul_noapp=true

Attached Files:

18. Pat-Aus

Pat-Aus New Member

Hi oby,

I know it's been a few months but is the motor still available?

Cheers,
    Pat

19. Jaedee2

Jaedee2 New Member

Hi all. Getting stuck into my 1983 xj900 project here in Melbourne, if anyone out there needs any items from this bike let me know. I'll be selling everything except the frame, forks, wheels, swingarm/final drive and engine.

20. xjmat

xjmat New Member

Hi All,

I am in Townsville, and need to check my valve clearances and then sync the engine. Anyone in the near vicinity who has done this and can give me a hand?