1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

So... I'm bike-curious.

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by 81550Seca, Dec 1, 2017.

1. 81550Seca

81550Seca Member

Alright fellas, you helped me get my Seca running and it has been a reliable work horse the past two years. Now, I'm branching out to the XS world, but apparently the XS forum is closed to new members. I'm hoping maybe somebody here has some experience with XS1100's.

I scored a free, mostly complete 1980 1100 Midnight Special and am getting started on the basics. Got the carbs off and open and discovered the floats in three of the bowls had been removed, most likely for the PO's other Midnight Special. I ordered some that look like they'll work along with three rebuild kits.

Getting started on valve clearances today. Do you think shims will be interchangeable with XJs?Going to have a look at the brakes next and pop a battery in to check out the electrical. I will be seeing if it runs when the carb parts get here I get them reassembled.

Anyway, if anyone is familiar with this bike and wants to share any knowledge, I would highly appreciate it!

Having trouble uploading files, so here's a link to pics of the bike: https://imgur.com/a/FCNih

2. JetmechMarty

JetmechMarty Active Member

XS11.com is not closed. It could also use some new blood with a new project.

You just have to go through the process and wait for TC to get back to you with a password.

I speak XS1100, and several others on this board do as well.
    [​IMG]

81550Seca likes this.
  3. JetmechMarty

JetmechMarty Active Member

The XS1100 uses 29 mm shims.

"Look like they'll work" may not give you satisfactory results. Proper operation requires the fuel level at the proper spec. I believe it's 3 mm below the gasket. I think that spec is published in the 1981 XS1100SH factory service manual. Setting the float height with the aftermarket floats may, or may not get you there. Also, stick to genuine Mikuni jets and needles. It will save a lot of carburetor futzing.

I just received the XJ4Ever brake line kit. It appears to leave nothing to be desired. The fsm says replace lines every four years.

What else ya got?

81550Seca likes this.
  4. 81550Seca

81550Seca Member

Thanks. Good to know that the XS forum is still alive. I did email and request access.

Yeah, regarding the floats, if they don't work then I'll spring for the new ones. The ones I ordered are from an older Kawasaki with Mikuni carbs. They were $14 with free shipping for a set of four with pins. Figured it was worth a try. I've never set float height in a carb, so that will take some research.

Valves are all within speck except one intake which is .001 wider than the .004 - .006 range. Pretty pleased with that.

The stock airbox is gone. When I go my XJ it was also missing the stock airbox, so I ordered one on Ebay and installed it (what a pain). Best decision I made with that bike though. Unfortunately, I'm feel saucy and want to give this bike a more minimal and modern look, so will probably go with pods and whatever velocity stacks, jet swapping, or other mods required. I know it's a big can of worms, but I'm going to go for it. Will share my results as I go.

Noticed the brake lever wiring has been cut right where it runs into the lever. Not sure why that happened. Looks difficult to reconnect because they didn't leave any length running out of the lever. I'll take a photo tomorrow and add it up.

Not much else to report at this point. It did not come with a key, so that will need to be addressed at some point. Hopefully have the carbs cleaned and installed by next weekend. May try to start it up at that point!

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

An XS? Meh, do whatever you want with it! Lol

I just picked up a midnight xs1100, and a regular xs1100

6. 81550Seca

81550Seca Member

Exactly. I restrained myself so much with the Seca and I'm glad I did, but I can't wait to put some personality into this XS. Working on cleaning the carbs right now. Got that automatic punch from Harbor Freight for removing the float pins. Worked super well.

The floats I got are from a 1981/1982 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD. They are visibly identical to the one that remained in my carbs. I feel like they will work and they cost less than $15 with pins, shipped.

I think where I'm going to run into trouble is the electric. I'm not experienced in harnesses and wiring in general. I know people often relocate the battery and rewire everything. I wonder if I could remove all of the current wiring and basically start from scratch. I want to increase my electrical skill, so I'm ready to do some studying. Any big tips from or things to consider when it comes to wiring a bike?

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Be careful with that punch.....I use the same one, and love it. BUT--just make sure to support the floatpin tower at the opposite end of the pin, or you can snap THAT one off if it isn't supported. DAMHIKT. Since I started supporting the opposite tower, I haven't broken a s ingle one in several years now.

8. 81550Seca

81550Seca Member

Thanks for the tip. That's really good to know. I assumed removing the pin with a punch was risk free and DID NOT support the towers. Will from now on.