1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Turn signal issues

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Stephen Perkins, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Stephen Perkins

Stephen Perkins New Member

Also my turn signals came with three wires not currently using the third wire for running lights there is no third Plug for it on my bike

2. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Correct. All you need are the signals unless for some reason you wanted them on for running lights but then you have to tap them into another circuit or create a circuit for them etc, etc. Let us know how it works out or ask more questions if you need to.

3. Stephen Perkins

Another question when I install load equalizer will make bulbs blow were there are only 6w where the equalizer will be bringing the wattage up?

4. Chitwood

Yes. That is what they're designed to do. Basically increasing the load on the circuit to allow the flasher to flash as it should. If there isn't enough load, the light stays on solid

5. Stephen Perkins

Could you seen me pic of yours so I have idea of how it’s suppose to be?

6. Chitwood

I can try when it get home tonight. It's hard to see but I'll do what I can. Here is a pic of some inline resistors I have. They didn't show up until after my buddy had gotten me the load equalizer(same basic principle) so I used the equalizer instead as I was on a time crunch.

Attached Files:

7. Stephen Perkins

E4804C34-485E-4975-81CB-E0C750742346.png Ok thanks wanted to see what wire u spliced them into as the one I jst order has three wires coming out of the box as in pic

8. Chitwood

I tried to get a pic but I just couldn't get it to turn out no matter what I tried. Here is what I believe you need to do, factory rear turn signal wires are green, brown, and two black wires. You need to hook all the black wires together, then either the green and brown to the other wires. Just have to make sure you have the sides correct so when you flip the switch the proper one comes on

9. Stephen Perkins

Update we’ll i got my led turn signals and load equalizer yeasterday hooked all up and still same issue come on and won’t flash so I disconnected the yellow and green wire for self canceling unit now they come on and go off real quick jst let once and stay off I have been trying with original flasher I baught aftermarket 3 prong electronic flasher but can’t get that to work at all you guys were talking about a 2 prong flasher but how do I kno witch one to get tired of waisting money any help is appreciated

10. Stephen Perkins

Fixed finally thanks everyone for all the help

Chitwood likes this.
  11. Josh Grow

Josh Grow New Member

What did you end up doing to get yours working? I've got LED signals on the back with a 2 prong flasher in place of the 3 prong that was under the tank. Mine will flash all of the turn signals, can't get it to do each side individually..

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

13. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

And you will also need to address the single indicator bulb and the problem presented by switching to LED bulbs - also covered in the above link by k-moe.

k-moe likes this.
  14. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Josh what bike do you have?
    as stated by rooster , the remove the bulb and your lights should work correctlyndicator bulb when being used for the right side grounds through the left side bulb

15. Josh Grow

Josh Grow New Member

I've got an 82 XJ650 Maxim. I had purchased a Tridon 552 flasher and when it was colder it seemed to work here and there with the indicator light still installed. Now that's it over 90 in Indiana, all I get are hazards. I'll pull the light and see if I can snag a different (more LED specific) 2 prong flasher.

16. XJ550H

the single indicator bulb is the problem . it grounds to the oppisite side bulb but to thehot side of the turn signals you turn on.
    so that 3 watt bulb hooks up to the hot of both left and right side blinkers voltage passes through the (what was) 27watt bulb to ground.
    what you have to do to solve your problem is simple.
    go to radio shack and buy 2 rectifier diodes. find the wire connector for the indicator bulb it should be dark green and chocolate wires, ( corrected wire color)
    cut the wires on the connector that go to main harness then you will solder a diode to each wire and reconnect to one of the wires (your choice) the other remaining wire that is still connected to the connector you will add a black wire for ground and attach it to a convienant ground point on frame , I would suggest the coil mounting bolt,
    then your directionals will work

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    k-moe likes this.
  17. XJ550H

this is what you have to do. doides 1N400X thpe X stands for 1,2,3,4,5,6, or the next wattage up at raido shack
    001.JPG
    the indicator bulb would (is ) connected between the wires called DG and CH

18. XJ550H

19. dave raco

dave raco New Member

Any specifics on the load equalizer??

20. XJ550H

better to find an led flasher than load equalizers.

biggest advantage to going led is to lessen the wattage consumption on the alternator.
    less wear and tear on alternator better gas mileage, quicker bike. Not that you will really notice the last 2 items