1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Colortune sealing washer

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by fastenova, Apr 13, 2018.

1. fastenova

fastenova Member Premium Member

Hello,

I'm trying to tune my idle mixture, but I seem to have lost the "Solid cross section gas seal washer" they mention in the instructions. Is this just a normal copper washer that I can pick up at the hardware store??

The problem is no matter what cylinder I move it to, it runs lean (bright blue flame) and the motor stumbles and pops, and adjusting the mixture screw several turns out I can't get it to go yellow. But if I reinstall the normal plug and set the screw to ~2 turns out, it runs solid. So I'm fairly certain it's pulling in air because it's not sealing properly. I already checked for air leaks around the intake boots and the airbox boots.

I tried using an old washer from a BP7ES spark plug but that was not working to seal - the ID of the washer was a fair bit larger and I don't feel like it sat squarely on the Colortune's flange.

They make it sound like something fancy. I emailed Gunson in hopes they can get me specs - if they reply I'll add their response to this thread for others.

Aaron

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The copper washer they use is a bit smaller in OD than the typical copper washer, and as you found the ID is not the same as the sparkplug crush washer. You can make a substitute, but I've found that Gunson is really nice about sending replacement parts if you just ask (usually for free).

Stumplifter likes this.
  3. fastenova

Gunson got back to me, here is their response:

"Here is the part number the washer comes under
    G4055/08 - Copper Washer 14mm Colortune
    The only thing is we don’t sell direct to end users and to post one would cost a lot for what it is

Here is the details of a company that stocks our product’s in the USA which you could try they may have them in stock or might be able to order in for you but depends on if they have a minimum spend

Samplex Inc
    7235 Via Genova
    Delray Beach FL 33446

If not just a copper washer should do the trick as you only hand tighten the plug in, I know the ones that come with kit are a soft copper so they squash easier when tightened"

I was able to find a 14mm copper oil drain washer/gasket locally, 3 pack of them for $4.00. Only real issues I have are that the ID is still a bit larger than the Colortune plug, and they are crush washers, so not sure how many times I will be able to fit them and get a good seal, but I was able to test on one cylinder and get a good seal, so that's a good solution for now. I will keep looking and see if I can source the proper solid washer, and update with any info I find.

4. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Interesting. You think someone could simply get one off the assembly area and drop it in an envelope!

5. fastenova

Agreed. It really seems like it should be easy to get a replacement, since it's not a captive washer, and isn't a standard part available at auto parts stores... I can't possibly be the first person to have lost this!

I'd gladly Paypal them some money to cover the cost of several of these washers and postage from the UK but it sure didn't seem like they were offering/willing to do so.

Maybe we should see if Len is willing and able to order a few dozen of these and stock replacements for us!

6. sybe

sybe Active Member

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Business Description
    Samplex is located in Delray Beach, Florida. This organization primarily operates in the Indoor Parking Services business / industry within the Automotive Repair, Services and Parking sector. This organization has been operating for approximately 12 years. Samplex is estimated to generate $267,860 in annual revenues, and employs approximately 5 people at this single location.

8. XJ550H

I think you are over thinking this.

9. fastenova

I wonder how you were able to get a good seal to even be able to dial in the mixture properly?

The washer I used (and got a good seal with) were just like that. I am sure they will be good for at least several uses, but I just doubt the longevity of them, as many manufacturers want you to replace a crush washer each time it's torqued (that is the way they are designed to be used, just like torque-to-yield head bolts). In the case of crush washers in drain plugs, those have minimal pressure... whereas using these in spark plug applications subjects them to 150+PSI. So I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped sealing well after a couple dozen uses.

10. fastenova

I saw that when I googled the company as well. Seems like an odd business to be reselling Colortune kits. Or, maybe it's just miscategorized. They don't have their own website from what I could tell.

Not sure what you mean here. I wanted to attempt to replace the missing washer with the correct (solid copper) part if it was readily available. It's clear now that it is not super accessible, but the alternative (crush washer) seems to work alright, if for a limited number of uses. I thought it would be useful to share what I found, since the general consensus here is that the Colortune is the best way to tune the idle mixture on these bikes. And, searching the web for a replacement sealing washer for the Colortune turned up no useful results for me.

Please do elaborate if you think we're missing something simple here, but I don't really see how your comment helps the discussion...? :confused:

11. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

We do have the correct replacement washers in stock!

fastenova and Rooster53 like this.
  12. sybe

sybe Active Member

Last time i color tuned it was last summer and its been running fine. No fouling or runnig lean. On my way home from work, goinv to double check my tool box. Hopefully its on it.

13. XJ550H

not suprised as he sells the colortune.

14. fastenova

Dang! I looked in the catalog for it, and didn't see it... but should have asked you. I don't think you've ever told me you didn't have a part/tool I needed even if it wasn't listed in the catalog. Thanks Len!!!

15. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Copper can get work harden. The more you bend or compress copper is gets hard. If you heat the copper it will become soft this called annealing.

16. sybe

sybe Active Member

Checked last night and my washer was on the plug. looks like it stuck it self on.

17. fastenova

Earlier this week ripped the carbs back off and cleaned them very very well, focusing on the pilot circuit but also checking everything in the float bowl and getting that spotless. Reset the mixture screws and reinstalled. Bike fired right up and ran super smooth at ~3 turns out. So last night I tried tuning mixture again with the Colortune and copper *crush* washers - would stay blue even to 5 turns out, no yellow. Pretty sure these crush washers are the issue as I double checked all my boot clamps. But I have the proper washer on order from Len so should be able to confirm soon.

18. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I have a colortune, but for some reason have similar experience to your results - a wide range of mix setting gets me the correct blue, even though plug reading says it is running a bit rich. I finally just used the colortune to get in the ballpark, then put in new plugs and read them to confirm the proper mix screw setting.

i.e. - it might not just be the wrong washer.

fastenova likes this.
  19. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Try using the "sealing washer" off a spent plug that has been compressed. You have to unthread it off the spark plug and onto the Colortune. It won't fall off and provides an adequate seal to get consistent results to set the mixture screws.
    Cinch the Colortune down as tight as you can, by hand, with a 5/8 plug socket and an extension. NO RATCHET.
    Another thing that seems to help with better results is to unhook the sync tool from the vacuum ports and cap them while setting the mixture screws. Then sync again. (Some may disagree. Don't care. This is how I get consistent results.)
    After loosing my copper washer that came with my kit, I became desperate, in need, for a replacement. I was getting wonky results with the copper washer and sort of discounted the tool as a dud for a while. During a carb sync several months later I decided to give it another try. The washer was gone. I tried the above replacement and my carbs have been tuned since to the bikes and my liking. It worked like a charm.
    With the tank removed, clean carbs, correct valve lash, and no vacuum leaks setting the mixture takes about ten minutes.