1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Need gas tank that will fit xj 550 seca

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Butch009, Apr 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Butch009

Butch009 New Member

Wiil a 750 DECA tank fit a 550 seca

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Kinda. Sorta.......

GAS TANKS:

h12) OEM original steel GAS TANK, brand new originals exactly replace your originals.

NOTE on tank interchange: all XJ650 (except Turbo) and 1981-83 XJ750 (except XJ750RL) tanks will swap between those models and fit, but may experience some minor interference issues with the front of the seat/seat pans. Many XJ650 Maxim and Midnight Maxim owners like to upgrade to the larger XJ750 Maxim tanks, and that is basically a bolt-on swap.

XJ550 tanks (Maxim and Seca models) will interchange with each other, but will NOT swap with XJ650 or above models (the tank mounting dimensions are different). XJ700 and XJ750-X tanks will NOT interchange with any other models. XJ650 Turbo tanks will NOT interchange with any other models. XJ750RL and XJ900 tanks will NOT interchange with any other models.

Further insights into tank-swaps can be reviewed at:

http://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/m...rily-550-seca-and-650-seca.47996/#post-426801

and

http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/80-to-83-seca-fuel-tank.49765

3. Reed7742

Reed7742 Member

Hey Chacal,

I can say from experience that a Seca tank will not interchange with a Maxim and vica/versa. I put a Seca tank on my Maxim and the mounting point is about 1.5" too far forward on the frame. It required welding a new bracket onto it.

All this being said, I'm like 99.9% sure that my tank came from a 550 Seca. That's what was in the description when I bought it. It may have been off another bike, but it looks consistent with the 550 tank.

[​IMG]

Ignore the crappy stacks and no side covers. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell to use with the Fj600 motor. Nothing fits :(

Jetfixer likes this.
  4. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

What do you mean nothing fits? Which bits are you trying to fit?

5. Reed7742

Reed7742 Member

Fueling system mainly. Airbox won’t fit and I can’t find a set of flatslides for less than $2k and that’s way more than I want to spend. I’m debating if I want to try and build an airbox and relocating the battery or something weird. It’s motocross season again so any building is going to get put on the back burner again.

Cade likes this.
  6. Minimutly

Why does the airbox not fit? Non yics and 600 carb spacing is the same..

7. Reed7742

Reed7742 Member

Carb bodies are larger and the diameters are larger as well. The 550 airbox won’t fit or at least it didn’t when I tried.

8. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

What kind of exhaust is that? Is it custom?

9. Reed7742

Reed7742 Member

Did not mean to hijack this dudes thread lol. I’m not sure what the header is because I got it second hand the exhaust is a cone engineering muffler that I welded on. Fair warning, it’s way loud. Honestly I’d like to try something else to quiet it down.

10. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

I had a 550 airbox 600 engine BS32 carbs (intake rubbers AND airbox rubbers) all fitted at one stage. It didn't run but I think that was more down to poor carb cleaning on my part. The airbox rubber are important as they are 'canted out' more to fit the wider rack/intakes. I have to say though getting them in and out was an absolute b!tch - especially with hardened rubber as the physical size makes everything harder. In the end I got some BS30s from an FZ600 these are smaller and fit the same rubbers as the standard BS28s on teh 550.

Reed7742 likes this.
  11. Reed7742

Reed7742 Member

I'll have to play around with that then. I didn't think that the 550 airbox would work with it and the 600 wouldn't fit right. I have a 550 airbox laying around that I might rig something up with. Is there a way to get the airbox in without basically pulling the motor? That's the only way that I could get it out.

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Remove the starter and the battery box.

13. Cade

Cade New Member

14. Minimutly

Hmm, I put a seca tank on my maxim (650s), fitted spot on. Issues when using the seca bars as well though, the forks were just hitting the tank.
    However, if I had fitted the seca trees it would have been fine I think.
    Getting a seat to fit would be another issue though. I think the seca seat would fit but you'd have to weld in some lugs?

15. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Fuel tank interchange information

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  16. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I can tell you what WILL fit, because I have FIT them before doing any of these write ups.

17. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Your bike looks good , if it is side covers your needing , you could build some. Get some poster board ,rough out using paper ,transfer pattern to poster board . Trim this out using screen metal material to same shape . Apply fiberglass and resin over the top of this . You will have to figure out a mounting set up . My buddy had to build his own once on his Suzuki , he did this and actually turned out good . He sanded the new cover and painted while not factory looking it worked . The poster board keeps the resin from flowing out of the screen , use fine mat material , well anyway this might be a relative cheap project.