1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Weird dying issue

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Dazsculpt, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Dazsculpt

Dazsculpt Member

Hello guys

I have a xj650rj 1982

This morning on the way to work I was riding at around 30mph and bike just lost revs like it had no gas, pulled over and could start immediately and pulled away with no problems, idles Ok! And runs with no stutters or back firing, got to work fine. On the way home happened twice, filled the tank full but happened again shortly after while I was riding but managed to push the button and rode away and was fine after that.
    All the electrics are working when the bike dies, I am able to start directly after it dies so I don't think it's carberetter maybe coils or cdi?

Any help is appreciated
    Daz

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Does it sputter and die slowly, or does it cut off suddenly as if you had flipped the run/stop switch?

3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Try opening the fuel cap when this happens ..possible cap vent is plugged ...if it runs normal after opening that is problem.

wgul and k-moe like this.
  4. Dazsculpt

Dazsculpt Member

I'll try, just difficult to test, just fitted a new fuel cap the other week, should I take the cap apart to have a look?
    Daz

5. Dazsculpt

Dazsculpt Member

Ly
    It feels like I run out of petrol and happens so quickly, revs die suddenly i thought i had a run oit of petrol so switched to reserve and fired straight up.
    I'll take note closely of it next time it happens.
    Daz

6. k-moe

Since the revs die suddenly I'd suspect an electrical problem (but don't rule out fuel yet either).
    One fairly common problem is the sidestand switch becoming sticky, which will cause it to cut power to the ignition when going over an irregular surface. The contacts are close enough together in that situation that the switch sill be jarred, and then slowly move as the internal spring presses against the built-up muck. The fix is to peeel the rubber boot back and use electrical contact cleaner (or similar) to clean the dirt away. I then like to follow-up with a dry-film lubricant.
    You can also test this by removing the sidestand relay (located under the gas tank, just behind the turn signal relay).
    That may not be what's happening in your situation, but it is an easy thing to take care of, and eliminate from the possabilities.

7. Dazsculpt

Dazsculpt Member

Side stand switch has been disabled many years ago

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

recheck that work on sidestand switch

and for gas cap vent
    Your Gas Cap and You

k-moe likes this.
  9. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

You never answered k-moe’s question. Does it cut off like you turned it off with a key, or does it “lose revs” like it’s running out of gas. Since you just “fitted” a new gas cap, my bet at this point is that’s where your problem is. Been there myself.

k-moe likes this.
  10. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

What they said ^^^

Do not underestimate the power of going through the whole bike and cleaning / greasing/ reseating all of your electrical connections. Your bike is 36 years old... ‘lectricity (or lack of) can make for tricky trouble shooting.

k-moe likes this.
  11. Dazsculpt

Dazsculpt Member

It dies like it runs out of gas, I pull to the side and can start straight up.

12. Dazsculpt

Dazsculpt Member

Ok thanks I'll do That!

13. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

how old is the vacuum line to petcock and manifold? is it secured well? could be collapsing or leaking.
    also it is a vacuum line correct?

14. Dazsculpt

Dazsculpt Member

I bought a new one from chacal about 4 years ago so would be good i reckon, also replaced fuel line too, maybe replace fuel filter?

15. k-moe

What type is the fuel filter? Paper or bronze element?

16. Dazsculpt

Dazsculpt Member

UPDATE!!
    So last night checked my (new)petrol cap, took it apart cleaned it then decided to change my old paper fuel filter to a smaller bronze 45 degree one i bought from Chacal a while back but never used, the one that makes a corner, this fits inside under the tank and the pathway looks better than before, I was never happy with the big car style paper one because it was inline and the tank always pinched the filter and the fuel line would bend up, but I'd fitted it 2 years ago and never had problems till recent, so riding to work today with the new bronze filter had no bogging down and felt k had more power, time will tell if that was the cause.
    Daz

k-moe likes this.
  17. Dazsculpt

Dazsculpt Member

So came back from work and the bike dyed again, so the problem isn't with the fuel line, somewhere else is the problem, I am thinking crud in the carbs but after the bike bogged down I started her up straight away and she rode fine for the rest of the journey which was 50 mins, so if it was fuel related wouldn't it keep happening?, also when the bike is warm everything works fine, gear changing relating to carb jets, so someone said electrics where should i start if so? Coils ?.