1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Blinker Grounding Issue?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Michael R, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Michael R

Michael R Member

I have aftermarket rear incandescent blinkers (only running rears with help of an electronic flasher unit). The odd thing is - the right blinker only works when not mounted to the OEM indicator mount. The left is fine when mounted. Somehow, mounting to the right metal mount renders it dead. What can be done to rectify this? I have several sets of the same blinkers, and i have tried them all with the same results.

2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

That sounds like the blinker is grounding out the flashing voltage, but that should blow the fuse. So, we need more details with links, pictures as to which parts you are using before any solutions might be suggested. And since the pictures / links may not specify check the wires on the blinkers to see if they are electrically tied to the chassis. Details on how they are connected in reference to wire color would also be helpful.

3. Michael R

Michael R Member

I will post pics later. There was a blown blinker fuse and I replaced it and it has not blown since.

4. Michael R

Michael R Member

Here is the two-wired blinker (aluminum housing)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here is the wiring set up using the original harness with tail light. Both lights work fine when NOT mounted.

[​IMG]

When both lights are mounted to the OEM rear blinker brackets, the right one does not come on at all, although the dash light and tail light faintly dim off an on as there is a blinking charge going through. I have several sets of these lights and I get the same result. I think I did blow a blinker fuse, but the new one hasn't blown with the set up (again). An easy solution is to insulate the mount with rubber, but I would rather get it right. Obviously a grounding issue (I think). What next?

[​IMG]

5. Rooster53

Check the blinkers to see if either wire is electrically tied to the aluminum chassis.

A link to those specific blinkers could be helpful, as well as what flasher you are using.

6. Michael R

Michael R Member

Yes - the black/white wire is ground to the outer bulb holder and therefore has connection to the aluminum.

These are the lights: https://www.dimecitycycles.com/vint...er-markers-blinkers-turn-signals-25-8632.html

This is the flasher

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/253793939213

7. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    I think that I would tie all my grounds together. Light ground wires, light bodies, flasher ground and chassis grounds and tie that group ground back to the battery negative terminal. That should make the lights work as designed. You can then disconnect 1 at a time and see where the missing ground is. All your grounds are supposed to be common, it sounds as if 1 of them is not or has just enough resistance or feed back somewhere to make things not work correctly.
    John

8. Rooster53

Well, that would mean you have them wired incorrectly. It is a hard to tell from your picture above, but the normal colors for the harness should be Ch (Chocolate) and Dg (dark green) and then a common black, with Ch being left and Dg being right. If the aftermarket flashers have the black/white wire electrically tied to the aluminum chassis, then you need to hook the black/white wires to the black common on the main harness. As for one working I can only speculate that for whatever reason it was not finding chassis - most likely because of paint on the frame or the blinker itself.

9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

do those have dual filament bulbs?

10. Michael R

Michael R Member

Single

11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you have the grounds hooked to the power wires

Michael R likes this.
  12. Michael R

Michael R Member

Thank you to everyone! There is a lesson to be learned to check the wiring of all aftermarket products. A black wire does not always mean a ground wire! Blinkers are working like a charm now.

Robinwolfy and Rooster53 like this.
  13. Michael R

Michael R Member

Yup