1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How did you get here?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by SnoSheriff, Jun 1, 2006.

1. CactusJack578

CactusJack578 Member

Hi Andrew I love Scramblers. Don't know why I don't own any. I'm looking forward to your XJ750 scrambler pics.

2. Attom

Attom New Member

Got an 82 750 Maxim last year. Was rough, but under $300. Every time I google search for a part or repair it has brought me here.

It was spray painted red just about everywhere, had bald rotten tires, dented tank, no working signals, no tank gauge, no speedo, rats nest of a fuse block, and the kid thought the starter was out.

So far I have:
    Removed the rattle can red from the rims, driveshaft, rotors, drum, tank, and shocks.
    Replaced the tires
    Painted the tank (like Bobba Fett's helmet, since the square lights made me think of Star Wars)
    I replaced the wheel speed sensor, but the new (used) one failed in less than a mile.
    Replaced the broken front signals with LEDs.
    Currently trying to get the flashers to work... new relay does nothing.
    Next up is rewiring the fuse block and taking another crack at the speedo.

Areas that I could use some advice:
    Do I need a specific flasher relay? I got a three prong with the same pattern that is rated for LED or incandescent, but it does nothing, the old relay lights up but doesn't flash.
    Where can I find a battery cover?
    Best place to find a nice simple fuse block?

Photo of bike still red doesn't show how bad it was. I failed to take before pics; this is the pic from the Facebook listing.

Previously had an xs400 maxim, brother has a xj400 seca

Attached Files:

CactusJack578 likes this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you need to use the oem relay it is 3 prong for a different reason what kind of bulbs are you using need to be 27 watt unplug the canceller unit se if bulbs flash clean bulb sockets

4. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

He changed to led signals so he likely needs to unplug self cancel unit as suggested. I am unfamiliar with the 3 prong flasher units but I believe one of those needs to be grounded for some reason or another I think I've read that on here before.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

this flasher from superbrightleds.com

Flasher is LF1-S-FLAT

6. CactusJack578

CactusJack578 Member

Here's another guy, Attom who buys a POS and turns it into a great ride. Cool paint. Different. I have a confession.. I had to look up Bobba Fett. That makes the paint job AND the square headlight even cooler.

7. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Whaaaaaaaat?!

Stumplifter likes this.
  8. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

I found it through Google looking for parts, super glad I found you guys, I was ready to rebuild my motor needlessly!

9. AndrewD

AndrewD New Member

I am taking the thing apart right now and about to rebuild. I will post pics when I am done!

10. Brian Jones

Brian Jones New Member

Bought a 1981 Xj650 out of a barn for 450$, googled around for parts and found this forum :)

11. lupz

lupz New Member

I simply purchased a XJ, typed in XJ forum into good old google and here I am.

12. Steve Jorgensen

Steve Jorgensen New Member

This site comes up a lot whenever I search for Yamaha 'how to' as well as general XJ info.

13. Curtis Weekes

Curtis Weekes New Member

I bought an 82 XJ650 Seca and began looking for info via google and this was one of the top sites. So much amazing information here and obviously a great community of XJ owners.

14. raskal

raskal Active Member

I arrived like others, via google

Just bought a '82 XJ750 Maxim. Will keep it stock to take advantage of B.C.'s ICBC collector plate program. Cheap insurance on anything 25 years or older. Without collector plates I'd be paying over $1000/year

MattiThundrrr likes this.
  15. Ross B.

Ross B. New Member

Signing in from Corpus Christi, Texas. I just purchased a 1983 XJ750K Maxim(as my research leads me to believe at least) for a whopping $350. It has the YICS emblems on the engine side plates, and if I do say so myself, it is in pretty decent condition.

I intend on keeping it stock, with only a handlebar set and mirror updates possibly. I will clean her up, put a windshield and saddle bags like Sarah's so that this will be my wife's ride. I found that the only "tech data" I could find was a Haynes, so I delayed that and found y'all. I had to disassemble the carbs and perform a thorough cleaning, needless to say, I mixed and matched the jets the first 4 times I disassembled and assembled until I came across some of the great posts on this site. Last night I installed all the jets in their appropriate locations and man does she purr. A lot of work ahead of me, but I know it will be a great bike.

Attached Files:

16. spacetiger110

spacetiger110 Member

I recently got an XJ900RK and a gentleman who was giving me advice on Reddit told me about this forum.

17. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

This is the place for all your tech needs. Glad to see another member

Ross B. likes this.
  18. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Trying to find information on replacement VIN tags. Rebirthing a 1982 XJ550. Frame is almost torn down completely so I'll need a replacement sticker soon.

19. 650MAX

650MAX Member

Familiar story for me I suppose. I had been thinking about getting a bike for a couple years off and on. I think it was last year I actually went to the local cycle center and sat on a couple new bikes. I kind of liked the Rebel 500 but it was more than I wanted to spend and I sure as heck wasn't about to finance a toy. Finally this Spring I took the MSF class and started watching Craigslist for a bike. My criteria were that it had to be under $1500 (preferably under $1000), had to be running, have a clear title and be capable of cruising my smiling face down the highway at 75 mph. Being a total noob to riding, I didn't want some ill-handling cobbled up junk, so I didn't look at the choppers. Also since I wanted to sit more or less upright and not have to be chewing on the handlebars, I didn't bother looking at sportbikes either. And being 55 years old, I didn't feel like the ninja or whatever really fit my mental image of what my bike ought to look like. Oh, and being mechanically inclined having worked on hotrods for several years, including daily driving a '65 Galaxie for a 5 year stretch I wasn't worried about age. I wasn't expecting to just get on and ride carefree at my budget.

Queue up a Craigslist scammer or two and what appeared to be a decent deal on a bike that was a bit farther away than I had hoped to look, I end up making the trip. 1.5 hours or so drive, which might not seem all that bad, but this is all the way on the opposite side of Fort Worth from me. You'd think that I could find something in Dallas or Fort Worth, but no! Anyway, I get out to the place and they guy shows me the bike, fires it up and tells me all about it and the guys who have come to see it and made lowball offers etc. I end up getting the thing for $800, which might be a little high but probably not too terrible. I still check out bikes on Craigslist and have seen maybe one or two bikes that I would call a similarly good deal but nothing yet that really jumps out to me as being "better". As part of my shopping process I searched out whatever info I could on any bike that looked somewhat interesting, and xjbikes seemed like a great resource with plenty of long time happy owners. So you guys actually played a part in my purchase!

I have bought a bit more than expected to get the bike in line, but it's looking like I'll be into it for around $1400 or so? Still seems like a great deal considering it looks good, runs good, has new tires and brakes, new horn,
    lights and electrical stuff is working properly, has new shocks on the back and by the end of next week will have the fork seals done too. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to polish the engine side covers and clean up the wheels and do some general detailing to make it really look decent.

Here she is, in orange as purchased and now after I've painted it.

IMG_1027[1].JPG IMG_1085[1].JPG

ksigurdsen and JetmechMarty like this.
  20. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

I got here with the help of Dave Fox. A friend of mine met him at a local car show, flea market this past week end. Steve got Dave's contact information , sent it to me, I called Dave , he sent me here.

I have a 1982 650 Seca, needs some love, thanks in advance for your help.

Jim Burch

XJ550H likes this.