1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Boiling carburetors works wonders!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by amiel1157, Nov 28, 2018.

1. amiel1157

amiel1157 Member

Hi.. i just want to ask what else can be done to clean the insides of my carbs.. hitachi 32's.. boiling cleans very nicely but i can still see a few bugers inside..

Attached Files:

2. amiel1157

amiel1157 Member

I started with clean water with vinegar.. after 1 hour it turned to this tea like soup..

Attached Files:

3. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

amiel1157 likes this.
  4. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Has anyone found this Berryman stuff in Canada?
    I’d like to try it as so many here rave about it.

5. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Barryman’s Dip is good, but I don’t think it works any better than boiling followed by spraying carb cleaner through the passages and then compressed air. If you use the dip try setting it on something that vibrates for a couple of hours if not longer.

6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Most Autozones not sure if they are in Canada , Berrymans dip is good stuff , I like Berrymans B12 carb clean also .

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Since the carbs are already mostly torn down, go ahead and replace the throttle shaft seals (or at least pull the throttle control plates off to see if the seals are still soft enough to work).

amiel1157 likes this.
  8. amiel1157

amiel1157 Member

Yes i did replace all 8 shaft seals.. very expensive here in manila.. 4US $ /pc x 8pcs also i change the orings for the fuel pipe connections.. hopefully this will cure my hanging idle when hot.

9. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

I could be wrong, but I think if a single carb is rich, it could keep idle from dropping because it makes the engine run a little faster and gets the other carbs to open up as well. Of course, it's good to have fresh seals in the carbs, you won't go wrong there!

amiel1157 likes this.
  10. StahlMaster

StahlMaster Active Member

I put my float bowls in an old coffee pot with lemon juice and heated them for an hour. The temp was measured at 175 degrees. They came out very nice. Smelled very bad though.

D

11. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

A large ultrasonic machine works great. I picked this up on fleabay for 200 bucks a bunch of years ago.....takes a full bank for four carbs easily, then a few more parts on the other side....it has a timer & heat as well as degauss.

Attached Files:

amiel1157 likes this.
  12. tabaka45

Good deal on that ultrasonic machine. I paid a little less than 1/2 that for a small one that will hold one carb disassembled.

13. StahlMaster

StahlMaster Active Member

I've seen videos of some people strapping a palm sander to a bucket for a "poor mans" ultrasonic cleaner. I have not tried this.....yet. The carb rack I'm cleaning does not have much, if any, dried fuel in it at all. I did find a bent diaphragm spring and a bad throttle shaft seal so far. I THINK the PO cleaned this bank and had some kind of issue that caused him to sell/part out/ the bike. This is one of the cleanest sets I've seen. The outside had dust and dirt on it but the inside is pretty darn clean.

amiel1157 likes this.
  14. Richard Elbon

Richard Elbon Active Member

I just cleaned the carbs on my 82 750 Seca the same way I’ve done small parts cleaning for the last 40 years. A 50% mix of simple green and water,completely disassemble them and put in a wire basket and let soak for a couple days. Then wash all in water and dry. They come out super clean,look real nice, with no residue. All passages clean.I think this is a good alternative to sonic cleaning and cost is minimal.

Attached Files:

15. tabaka45

"I've seen videos of some people strapping a palm sander to a bucket for a "poor mans" ultrasonic cleaner. I have not tried this.....yet. The carb rack I'm cleaning does not have much, if any, dried fuel in it at all. I did find a bent diaphragm spring and a bad throttle shaft seal so far. I THINK the PO cleaned this bank and had some kind of issue that caused him to sell/part out/ the bike. This is one of the cleanest sets I've seen. The outside had dust and dirt on it but the inside is pretty darn clean."

I think anything that vibrates will work. A number of years ago I dropped an old dirty knife in the gas tank of my VW. A couple of months later when I finally fished it out with a magnet it looked absolutely new.

16. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Soaking the carbs in boiling solution is an important part of the cleaning process. Running some kind of controlled air continuously while the carbs are immersed forces most "klingons" off the surfaces. The bubbles pelt the softened crud out of tight passages, nooks and crannies, etc. Works amazing, super simple but smells offensive to some people.
    Following up with ultrasonic cleaning after soaking along with running carb cleaner wires through the passages and you've done due diligence.

1) Vapor blasted.
    2) Soaked a couple hours in a boiling hot Pinesol solution with an aerating bubbler set on low.
    3) Ultrasonicly cleaned for an hour in vinegar and water.
    4) Cleared with matte VHT clear.

20181206_124957.jpg 20181208_171248.jpg
    Same carb....

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Franz likes this.
  17. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i just boil them in black paint
    IMAG0166.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    chacal and Franz like this.
  18. Richard Elbon

Here’s my set after cleaning and reassembly. Bench synced per instructions on this site.Used simple green and spray carb cleaner. About as clean as can possibly can be,no residue anywhere. New seals,ready to go back on. Somewhere I saw a question about how to reinstall them and wondering if someone can direct me to that post. Looks difficult at best.

19. Richard Elbon

20. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Berrymens may be the best thing for most guys but it's NOTHING like it used to be. The old formula caused instant burning of skin....that's how you knew you had the "good stuff". Young guys won't remember when 3 minute soak was = to brand new appearing brass!

I think most good mechs would agree to the "do what's necessary" approach and don't stick with just one method but use a comprehensive solution.

jeff