1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Some bitchin rear sets at a good price

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by LarryMc, Sep 19, 2018.

1. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I've been casually looking for rear sets for a while and shake my head at what some charge for them. After having cobbled some together myself I realized that they are pretty basic aside from the mounting plates and correct attachments points. The linkage is easy with everything available from most Ace Hardware stores.
    In my search I ran across these rear sets on Ebay. The quality is great as well as the price for between $80.00 to $130.00. That's just for the rear set mechanism lever and foot peg part. The linkage and mounting plate is up to you pretty much. These are very high quality, in my opinion, made here and the guy has zero negative reviews after selling many of these. They are indexable at any position and have thin oilite bushings between the mating points. The included hardware is stainless steel. Fixed peg and foldable peg, your choice.
    There's a bunch of crap out there for sale then these.
    Nice.
    If your in the market for some sweet foot controls check out this guys eBay store. Rear sets are pretty much his specialty and he has it down I'd say.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/142934886280
    Screenshot_20180919-191104_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20180919-191125_eBay.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  2. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Complete rear set assemblies for our bikes are available from "Fast from the Past". They are complete bolt on with everything to make it happen. Made in Italy by Tarozzi staring at $300.00.

3. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

After making up and painting some mounting plates for both sides they look like the following images. I mountined them just a few inches back and up from the stock peg positions, which is a comfortable and normal riding position for me.
    20181013_120426.jpg 20181013_120526.jpg
    Easy, painless install with simple adjustment if needed. They function smoothly with no binding shifts, up or down.
    I'm real happy with them. No regrets.

*I did away with the squiggly shift linkage arm and went with a straight one.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    chacal likes this.
  4. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

5. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

The first pictured rear sets shown above are 100% made in America with American sorced materials. The guys who makes them states this on his site and he's abundantly proud of it.
    The rear sets you show are extremely nice and seem to be of equal craftsmanship.
    At $245.00 plus shipping they are kind of out of my budget comfort zone..

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  6. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I saw "made in italy, and $300" and thought I'd share some locally made ones.

I see the original post at the top talked a lot lower prices! wow!

7. Voodz34

Voodz34 New Member

Are these rear sets pictured on a 550. Want to add some to my Maxim this winter.

8. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

No hijack fowl taken...
    Being that there is a limited selection of rearsets for our bikes, I was attempting to show a comparison of what's offered. I didn't clarify very well.
    The $300 example is completely bolt on. If you have a little ingenuity you can purchase the first example for under half that amount and get some real nice foot controls. You just have to make the mounting plate. Easy.
    The images are of rear sets mounted on my XJ550 Seca. I don't see why they wouldn't work on a Maxim with the right mounting plate set up.

9. Cesar

Cesar New Member

Hi everyone, first time here , anyway, great job , I’m planning to do the same modification on my seca as soon as sabe some $$
    Thanks for the pictures and the info. It will help me a lot to make a better decision.