1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New Speedo help

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Suffolkrider, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Suffolkrider

Suffolkrider Member

Hi there , just fitted a custom Speedo , I have everything going to right place (I think) and everything works hi beam light , indocator lights , neutral light and back light , UNTILL i put tthe bike in gear then everything loses power , what do you think is going on ?

Any help much appreciated

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

When you say loses power, do you mean the gauge or the bike itself? What bike and speedo do you have?

Initial thoughts are you have the gauge grounded off the neutral switch (if just gauge stops working) or you havve something screwy with the safety circuit from your gauge swap (if bike shuts down).

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  4. Suffolkrider

Suffolkrider Member

Attached Files:

5. Suffolkrider

Suffolkrider Member

Ok I think it might be safety circuit , is there a way around this ?

6. jayrodoh

Check that your green wire is hooked to ground and not the neutral light wire coming up from neutral switch. Confirm that ground is good.

I see it’s a mechanical speedo, what exactly dies when you put bike in gear? The wiring is strictly for the indicator lights.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  7. Suffolkrider

Suffolkrider Member

It's the backlight and all the indicator lights that die , new issue now also whilst swaping wires about in the connector block a couple of loose crimps touched and sparked and now nothing will work ?
    No fuses blown but do you think i have ruined a relay ? I'm hoping this hasn't blown the TCI

8. jayrodoh

Now you've learned to unhook the battery while working with electrical components the hard way! When you say nothing works do you meant the whole bike now? TCI's are pretty tough but not impossible to destroy.

9. Suffolkrider

Suffolkrider Member

Yer whole bike , I'm still getting power at the red wire with a test light ( Speedo connector ) but Speedo back light doesn't light up with red and black connected , not sure how to test the relays ect , any help appreciated :/

10. jayrodoh

The instructions you included do not show a red wire. It should light up with green to negative and brown to positive. The black wire is switched positive for lights requiring ground to light. Weird choice of color in my opinion.

11. Suffolkrider

Suffolkrider Member

I've got those correct but I'm referring the bikes wire colors , I seem to have power again now I don't know what was going on but the starter won't turn the solenoid just clicks

12. Suffolkrider

Suffolkrider Member

This getting weird , black ground wire at the front end of the loom lose there ground when not in neutral which then turns of Speedo and headlight , what can this be ?

Sorry you must be getting bored

13. jayrodoh

Nope. Always glad to help someone with an XJ. Busy with family in town but I love a good electrical challenge. I need to look up the wiring schematic for that bike but it might be tomorrow before I get a chance. Sounds like the black wire you refer to might be the neutral light wire but I am not familiar with that bike off the top of my head.

14. Suffolkrider

Suffolkrider Member

All the black wires (the bikes loom that is) are common ground there a couple of double female connectors for headlight and indicator's and single one which goes to the Speedo (9 pin block)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  15. jayrodoh

According to the wiring diagram I have, this should be correct. The turn signals might be flipped as I cannot tell on diagram which is right and left indicator.

If you have a light switch (on/off) then you can move the Brown speedo wire to the Blue bike wire.

Connections are shown Speedo to Bike:

Green to Black (Ground)

Brown to Brown (Switched Positive)
    And
    Black to Brown(Switched Positive)

Light Blue to Dark Green (Right Signal)

Orange to Chocolate (Left Signal)

Blue to Yellow (High Beam)

Light Green/Red to Sky Blue (Neutral Light)

16. Suffolkrider

Suffolkrider Member

Cheers jayrodoh, I'll cross reference that with what I've got in the morning , out for new years now ,

Happy new year everyone

17. Suffolkrider

Suffolkrider Member

Ok , that is how I have it wired up exactly but as soon as I put the bike out of neutral the relays click and I lose ground on the bikes black wires up front , I'm stumped

18. Suffolkrider

Suffolkrider Member

Is there anything I can do to bypass the saftey systems or do you think it's a faulty relay ?

19. jayrodoh

If you are losing ground when you shift out of neutral, there is something wrong within the harness. The safety circuit does not break the connection to ground for the harness. The harness has one grounding point, was this removed/painted etc?

Was any other work done to the bike in addition to changing out the speedo? Did the bike and everything work properly prior to any work?

20. Suffolkrider

Suffolkrider Member

Ahh I have the coils removed ATM for access and it looks like there's a grounding point where they bolt on , you think this is the issue ?