1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

Nice... I didn't think to put mine there, I assumed there wouldn't be enough clearance for the plastic side covers and never bothered to check. Everything fits ok?

Praxeus likes this.
  2. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

The side cover snaps shut alright. It’s a little far from the battery and I didn’t have exactly matching wire so I’m sure it with be a PO discussion topic on this forum in the year 2062!

3. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

I don’t know your setup and I’m sure it’s fine, but I would never put a fuse box under the gas tank in case it ever sparks. I guess I’m just to cautious.

4. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

Mine is mounted pretty much where the original was, I have four pieces of thick hose cut to fit onto the frame and bump the seat up a little higher.

5. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

That’s a pretty neat trick. Probably adds some extra cushioning as well. The whole reason I did it apart from improving the reliability of the panel was to get at the air filter cover more easily. Then it dawned on me just a few weeks ago: there’s a plenum or opening behind the air box on the xj650 that I could totally be using for starter fluid (which I shouldn’t need EVERY time since using Len’s nifty drill bit on those buried starter jets) instead of removing the cover each time. I know spraying directly into the venturi is better, but maybe I’ve been doing it wrong. Do you guys just spray it down that opening? It’s how we learn, folks lol

6. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

This weekend did a new rear tire, oil change, and spin on filter conversion.

Took a ride and no leaks or wobbles yet :)

Jetfixer, Franz and SpearChucker like this.
  7. Richard Elbon

Richard Elbon Active Member

Got this 750 Seca running today for the first time since the 80s. Cleaned carbs and refilled fluids,it was put away dry around 86,I got it recently and went through it cleaning carbs and adjusting everything.Gas on waited 30 seconds for the float bowls to fill and cranked and started instantly like it was never shut off years ago. Tomorrow will be a test ride around the local area. Currently has 14,994 miles.

Joeoeo, Tim O, Jetfixer and 1 other person like this.
  8. Richard Elbon

Got up this morning and pouring down rain so today will be detailing day in my shop,tomorrow looks good.

9. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

Yesterday I installed an all-new clutch and I installed a spin-on adapter kit with chrome filter from Len. Great bit of kit!

Jetfixer, SpearChucker and Tim O like this.
  10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i thought they all filtered chrome :confused:

11. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

ugh...

Praxeus likes this.
  12. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Member

Just got done fixing the faceplate on the speedometer. Broke in half. Super glue and a glue gun will hopefully work for awhile. Replaced tach bulb while I had it apart.
    Thanks Hogfiddles for the thread on taking the unit apart. It was a big help.

Praxeus likes this.
  13. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

Just started playing with wiring a new LH control and my Acewell gauge today. The SuperBrightLeds are awesome. Not wired right but I’m liking what I see so far!

Attached Files:

14. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

Actually, they gefilte fish.

Attached Files:

15. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

if i knew what that meant i might be upset, but ignorance is bliss :)

16. Moparmaniacca

Moparmaniacca New Member

Carbs cleaned and valve shims checked. Checked compression while I had the carbs off, 147-146-147-147 cold. I would suspect it would go up a bit when the engine is warm. Third set of spark plugs. The plug fouling I was having was being caused by the old spark plug boots. Put on some new NGK boots (I had already trimmed the wires back 1/4") and now she fires up instantly, even in the frigid cold we have here atm. Just need a carb sync tool and also set the idle mixture screws and she'll be ready to go... in a couple of months when the streets are bare.

Still need to try and pull the dent out of the right side of the tank. The rear pegs are missing, but I noticed that a piece where the left peg attaches is actually broken off (circled in red). Something else to find, I guess.

20181014_205845_resized.jpg

Tim O, Franz and chacal like this.
  17. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

Been having trouble with the vacuum petcock, after disassembly realized that the fuel petcock is toast! :(
    Contacted CHACAL, AKA Len and ordered the manual version.
    I went with the manual version as I basically got sick and tired of repairing the vacuum fuel cock. 3 times in 5 years
    While I had the tank off I cleaned the inside the best that I could.
    Three days from order to arrival :D
    Writing a paper for school and then I am off to rip around on my 1986 XJ700 X!:p

18. Richard Elbon

Rode my 83GS 1100E to my favorite paint supply store and picked up the original color gray metallic for my Seca. Got 5 good coats on the tank,tomorrow will be clear coat. Then cut and buff.

19. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Stared at my Seca ,dreamed about 70 degree weather , riding winding back roads enjoying the sunlight , the smell of fresh cut grass ....and then realized it is -23 degrees out with -50 wind chill...went back in the house and read the forum at least I can read about something motorcycle related.

Franz and Chitwood like this.
  20. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

Took myself out on my Xj700 X yesterday for about an hour had a good ol' time, ;) looking forward to doing it again in about an hour!
    Fuel Cock as referred to in the manual performed as exceptionally well, do need to mention that I have not gotten used to turning the valve on and off and as a result, I was riding and emptied the carb bowls of fuel LOL! Turn the fuel on dork at least I remembered to turn it off so not to flood the carbs or have fuel leaking into the crankcase. Should get a sticker to put on the tank to remind me LMAO
    Ride safe the roads are covered with sand and grime. :)