1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Slightly altered 83 XJ750 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by PavelK313, Jan 29, 2019.

1. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting anything about my bike on this forum and first time documenting build progress , so take it easy on me. I been wanting to build an older bike for 10+ years, however time and finances just weren't there.

On November 12th 2018 I came across my 83 XJ750 Maxim for $175! Needless to say at that price point bike didn't start, but as the saying goes baggers can't be choosers so i ended up picking it up. After tinkering in the garage with it for 30 minutes, I started the bike and took it for a ride.Everything worked as it should and I was extremely happy with my purchase. Initial plan was to make slight modifications to the bike and keep the budget low. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that i won't be ok with corner cutting and settling for less than what i really wanted.

This led me to be looking for a modern sport bike front end and putting ideas in my head as to what i want it to look at the end. I found 2006 R1 with blown engine and decided that it would be a perfect donor bike for my project. At this point My XJ has R1 front end, rear monoshock conversion, 82 XJ550RJ tank. I still have a long ways to go but considering the time frame I am working with so far I couldn't be any happier than i currently am with the progress that was made so far.

Ill attach few pictures (and try to keep them in order) for you to view.

Attached Files:

Franz and XJ750DB like this.
  2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

3. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

4. 50gary

50gary Active Member

I like your XJ, looks really nice so far. I have an '82 750 that is inline for similar treatment. I have R1 forks from 2000 but I have Race Tech springs 1.0kgm the stock springs of the R6 are about .73kgm if I remember correctly? I'm wondering how much weight you've removed? I will leave my rear as twin shock. Lot's of options here. You got a great deal for only $175.00! Great project, I'll be watching for sure.
    Cheers, 50gary

Slimjim likes this.
  5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

but it's way too nice to have old stickers on it

6. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

Sadly enough every time I have front end removed I always want to weight it but always forget. It’ll have to come off again at least twice, I’ll try to not forget to get the weight of it and compare to stock one,
    However, I can say that when riding the bike with R1 front and dual rear shock feels like it dropped 100+ lbs. I know it didn’t but that’s how it felt.

7. 50gary

50gary Active Member

I wasn't meaning the weight of the R6 front end, but the entire bike weight. The weight will determine the sprint rates front and rear. The stock weight of the XJ750 Maxim is listed as 524# stock condition. They are porky bikes. The geometry is different with the modern front end, no doubt turn in is much better, not to mention the greatly improved tire technology. These thing will make is feel lighter.
    Cheers, 50gary

8. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

Ahhh. I was planning on weighing in the bike once its complete. As of right now steering angle is at 25* rear suspension sag is at 3/4" with me on it (I weight 180lbs) and preload is in the middle of the adjuster. On paper everything looks great but will have to wait until i am able to ride it to find out how everything will feel in real world.

9. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Humm? rake at 25 degrees, correct me (I'm sure someone will) but the stock rake is 31.5 degrees. How did you get to 25* is the rear raised? How did the ground clearance change? A rake of 25* is just about right for a big bike like this IMO. I've been thinking of cutting the head tube off and re-welding it to get the 25 degree rake (caster as the Brits call it) At about a 30" fork length for every degree de-raking you reduce the wheelbase by about .375" then without that leading front axle that's about another -1.0" That's a ton. The R6 triple clamps also will shorten the W/B some. There's a batch of reasons why your bike now feels lighter. Good deal for you.
    Cheers, 50gary

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  10. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

Head tube got lowered by 7.5” with new front end, rear got raised 1/2” and ground clearance is ~4.5”. With stock bike I measured steering angle to be at 32*.

11. 50gary

50gary Active Member

7.5" wow! Have you measured the new wheelbase. Again from memory I think the stock is 59.8" I usually cut the head tube off and weld it back? This is very interesting.
    Cheers, 50gary

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  12. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

I believe my wheel base is ~54.5”

13. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

Starter working on re wiring my bike today. I’ll admit that wiring by far isn’t my strongest skill, but I was able to figure out where each wire goes and what each wire does. About half of the wires are labeled by now, tomorrow will label the rest of the wires and will start shortening them and laying out new harness.

Attached Files:

14. sybe

sybe Active Member

nm

15. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

First start for my Maxim after new tail section and new wiring. Also was able to take it on a 3-5 mile test ride to see how everything fanctions. Suspension felt great so far (it was a short ride), bike felt very unfamiliar to me due to the change of handlebars, suspension and seating position. For now I am very happy with progress but already realized that few more things need to be addressed prior to being able to state my opinion on this project.

Attached Files:

16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I think it is a great idea to upgrade the suspension on these bikes. Why not bring them up to speed on some new tech. Love the USD forks, IMHO they look great on almost every motorcycle. The mono shock looks good so does the bike. Be careful with the first rides into corners and while you are on and off the gas heavy. Even though it is very little, the shafts seem to change the height of the bike when you get on and off the gas a bit. More then a chain that is.

17. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

Hi everyone! Haven’t updated in a while... Been busy with work and been sick for past two weeks. Today was first day I felt half human and decided to get back to working on the bike.
    Was andale to finish electrical tray and seat pan. Made both out of 1/4” ABS and used Rivnuts to secure it.
    Need to reinforce rivnuts and on Monday seat pan will hopefully go into upholstery.

Attached Files:

18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Looks nice!

19. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

Seat is being made and should be done within a week or so. Also revived mufflers but unfortunately steely one of them has manufacturing g defect and needs to be exchanged.

Attached Files:

20. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

just a thought about that crankcase vent. if a guy put some sort of shield on the front side it might make the negative pressure on the back side more effective in pulling out the fumes. i don't know but it sounds like a good line of BS if someone asks

Chitwood likes this.