1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Weak Spark

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Dtperrell, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Joshua Olkowski

Joshua Olkowski Member

I'm using an old Kerker on my Seca with the stock jets. I'm curious if I should go to a size higher but I really don't know what the advantage/disadvantage would be so I'll be curioius what you do with yours.

2. Dtperrell

Dtperrell Member

Well I currently have 2 k&n open air filters on my stock mikuni carbs(one for left two carbs and one for right two, it looks sweet). Like I posted I'm planning on changing the exhaust as well so I know I'll definitely need new jets to get it right. I'm just glad it will actually start and run semi-reliably now.

I just looked up what you were talking about and that's actually the exhaust that's on my seca. I thought it was stock...guess not

Joshua Olkowski likes this.
  3. Joshua Olkowski

Joshua Olkowski Member

I should of mentioned that my kerker is a 4 into 1. It's loud as hell but it has a nice bass throaty and nostalgic sound that's really cool.

4. Dtperrell

Dtperrell Member

Well I re-jetted the carbs to 120 mains and 37.5 pilots and still the hanging throttle issue persists.. choke is closed, throttle cable is smooth and closing, mixture screws were at 3.5 turns out when I stopped. Who knows... Thinking maybe I need to move the needle up a little.

Has anyone messed with needle height in these carbs??

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Have you checked for a vacuum leak yet? When she is running you can take a "little" bit of starter fluid and spray it at the space behind the head as it connects to the carbs. If there are any cracks on those boots you should get a slight RPM jump. Do this on both sides of the bike.

Is the vacuum line from the carb to the petcock new? You could have a leak there as well.

Another thought would be to take the two filters off and look to see if any of the four carb slides are higher then the others when it is running. Sense you are running pods you should be able to see them easy.