1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Alternator Brushes..

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by OldFleetGuy, Feb 7, 2019.

?

Replace alternator brushes at 25K

Poll closed Feb 10, 2019.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. OldFleetGuy

OldFleetGuy Member

1980 XJ650 Maxium, 25K+ miles. Electrical system all stock sans a new fuse box. A question to those who have experience here. I'll use the polling function, but would like to hear from all who have been there done this..
    To replace the brushes or not? I have had no charging system issues since acquiring this bike Sept 2015, and have since put 20K+ miles on the machine. I just discovered the owners manual says to replace the alternator brushes at 10K. Say what!! I have never touched the alternator cover, period. System has powered a heated riding jacket on many cool ride days. Right now, with engine at 2200 rpm, jacket on high temp setting, all running lights burning, voltage shows 14.2 at the battery. Lucky maybe? But, riding season is almost here and that is no time for repairs - only pre-ride inspections, bug removal, and oil changes. Getting ready to do my seasonal bike prep ( yes Len you will be hearing from me soon!) so does anyone have feedback /experience with very long brush life?
    Thanks, all.

2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Does it say replace or replace as needed.
    Haven’t changed my xj650rjc brushes and bike has 50k on it and there still good

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

measure them then decide while your in there clean up the copper rings with a hard eraser wipe them down with contact cleaner.

the 2 brushes wear at different rates due to the circumference of the 2 rings

11mm is the change spec for brushes

if they are close to this change them because you are in there

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

All of the manuals have some errors in them, and that's one that shows up in the owner's manual.
    The service manual calls for inspection of the brushes as part of the troubleshooting procedure when a low voltage output is found. They are not listed as a regular maintenance item (nor do they need to be).

5. OldFleetGuy

OldFleetGuy Member

Thanks all for your feedback. Indeed the original owners manual does say to replace the brushes at the first 8K then every subsequent 10K. I'm barely halfway to 50K right now. To go in and inspect would certainly require a refresh of all wear parts. Duly noted that owner's manuals can have glaring errors. I only have the hanes repair manual, no OEM service manual. So in this case, (even though it goes against my grain) i'll get some spare brushes and let this sleeping dog lie. Come on Spring!

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The alternator brushes aren't listed in the maintainance schedule at all.
    Replacement is only warranted if they wear beyond the service limit, or break.