1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Moved one project bike off the lift a KZ650 frame with KZ750 and the KZ650 carbs...what a mess I got handed. Anyway, my new to me Seca 750 got its turn on the lift. I have been working on it for a while. Took the carbs t church, rebuild front caliper and waiting on some shims in the mail. But I noticed as I started to bleed the brakes, the two lower bleeders at broken off. BP blaster in there soaking for a few days. We should be getting another 10" of snow here, so the blaster will have some time to work. Nice to have another Yamaha on the lift. :)

2. spacetiger110

spacetiger110 Member

Gave it a new battery. Took it to Auto zone for testing/charging and they said it was shot. The PO claimed it was new and it looked pretty new. It died on me after my first ride on it and I jumped it with a jump and carry a couple times over the next two days. I left the jump and carry on it to try and charge it and I think I fried it.

3. Michael Manauis

Michael Manauis New Member

just bought one... on it way to me... excited!

SpearChucker likes this.
  4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Came home from work, my 2nd spare carbs , after soaking in PB blaster got the butterfly's to open and spring back. Finally got the slides out they are really gummed up going to take some work . Pulled one float bowl EWWW black goo and float needle stuck , 3 of the 4 float bowl drain screws came out , will have to work on the 4th. Plan is to get religious ( church of clean) on these always good to have a spare . I have a spare engine,tank, side covers, tail piece ... all I need now is a frame, forks and wheels and I have another bike:D

5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

So on Amazon Prime , watching Chips have not watched it in years feel really old , love seeing all the cars and bikes was such a predictable show but I LOVE IT LOL :D

SpearChucker, Franz and Praxeus like this.
  6. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

Today I installed a new brake piston and seals, and I pulled and replaced the front bearings. The pads drag a little, but hopefully they will settle in. Come to think of it, I think I forgot to lubricate the pad pin to help them slide along. I also found out my Acewell gauge that hasn’t been letting me change setttings lately (the buttons do nothing) is actually getting 12 volts, so that’s not the culprit.

7. spacetiger110

spacetiger110 Member

Put air in the forks, adjusted the idle, stared longingly at it through the window.

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

hoping the ground hog is correct.....:)

Craig B and spacetiger110 like this.
  9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Went through all the connections, cleaned them up and put some dielectric grease on the. The Power leads coming from the bike to the three wire connection were nasty. The rectifier was all in need of some TLC and grease. Still waiting on my last two shims, should be here Tuesday.

10. Crankwalk

Crankwalk Member

Got it running for the first time since 1995. ;)

11. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Member

Changed out the spark plugs today. Solved the last issue I had which was cold starts. Old plugs looked great and low mileage although they were like 5 years old. I've been following all the cold starting problems posted lately trying to solve. Adjusted the valves, looked for vacuum leaks and carb issues with no success. Seemed weird as the bike runs great. Idles perfect, runs smooth, enrichment circuit working and was getting 50 mpg but below 60 F needed to bump start. Would fire right up with a bump start. Changed the plugs and a quick touch of the starter button and it fired right up! sometimes its the simplest things. Like $9 for a set of four. No embarrassing push up the slight grade in front of my house anymore!

Franz, SpearChucker and spacetiger110 like this.
  12. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Active Member

I pulled the snow off the roof of the bike shed. Now there's about 5 feet of snow piled against the side of the shed and 2.5 feet against the doors. The solar battery tenders are still clear so I'm hoping the batteries are fairing ok. The temp is supposed to go up into the single minus digits tomorrow so I'm hoping to dig my way through and take a peek and possibly start the XJ and Triumph Sprint ST. With both snow blowers biting the bullet I've gotta do it manual. :(

Franz likes this.
  13. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Last February I was riding my XJ550 to work several times a week. This year...still below zero. 4 inches of snow last weekend, another 5-7 predicted for this weekend.

Sigh...today I walked past the covered bike in my garage, and gazed at the green led on the battery tender.

Will spring ever come?????

Chitwood, SpearChucker and Jetfixer like this.
  14. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

got a new neighbor up the street been riding his dirt bike ALL WINTER past my house around town

15. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

I said to hell with my crazy expensive Acewell gauge that stopped working and I ordered a cheap eBay version instead. And removed my valve cover for the first time in anticipation of adjusting the valves.

16. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

Installed 5 valve shims within 30 min. of receiving them in the mail. [chacal]. then went for a ride.

Pizzaman and Jetfixer like this.
  17. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Join the club had my shoulder surgery on the 11th start PT tomorrow

jackb23548 likes this.
  18. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

Had a bit of a scare just now putting a shim back in. As I slowly rotated the cams with the tool removed, the shim went *ping!* and flew across the garage. I calmed down, reseated the tool, and reinserted the shim and after the tool was out m I spun it around again to pop lightly into place. Did that ever happen to anyone else? Did a herd of elephants disappear off the earth?! What the frick

Franz and XJ550H like this.
  19. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

Wishing you a speedy recovery mate

20. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

You as well, of course :cool: