1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

Got the 83 750 Maxim I bought a month ago started and took some pictures for the before and after...... the work starts now. Lots of buffing and painting ahead i wish the forecast looked better, no heat in the garage.

Praxeus likes this.
  2. bminis01

bminis01 New Member

Went to start it and it will only start with the choke on, so I'm going to pull the carbs and go through them again. This gas is such crap. So it's on the charger, going to pull the plugs and install new ones. And new gas, aviation fuel mix seems to work pretty well .

3. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Just warmed her up in the garage... I'm still on shoulder rehab.
    Just like the other threads... had to let the petcock sit open 3-4 minutes then she started up, bowls were low. I worry that letting that happen all the time is building up varnish somewhere...

4. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

You can mix in a few oz of paint thinner/zippo fluid (Naptha) in a temp tank with around a qt of high octane and let it set in the bowls. Seafoam is essentially Naptha and coloring in a fancy can.

SpearChucker likes this.
  5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

berrymans 12 in a spray can or liquid in a can or the berrymans dip bucket would be my choice..

Ryengoth likes this.
  6. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

For heavy varnish and all 2-stroke carbs I soak carb parts in the gallon pail. I was just suggesting Naptha mix as a quick flush to clean the bowl, float, main jet and needle without removing the carbs.

7. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Finally rolled them out of their resting places!! And then it promptly snowed. Oh well, much work to do before they hit the road anyway.

Attached Files:

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Rolled the Seca 750 from the workshop to the storage shed. Need a bigger space to color tune as the temps here are still not very good. Now as Chitwood said above, we have more snow. Spring will get here......yes it will.

9. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

So temp hit 47 came home pulled bike out, put my new Viking trickle charger battery connector on . Fired up bike and rode around block several times , since I did not have helmet and , was still in slacks ,and had removed mirrors to store below cabinet on wall decided not to go further. I still have a smile can't wait till temps stay steady want to pull out and do some clean up , getting a little clutch slip so this is on list . Cheers

XJ750DB, Franz, Praxeus and 1 other person like this.
  10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

more like a grin ………………
    I laughed

11. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Active Member

Had my shoulder done 6 years ago and I can't believe the difference it made. I know the PT hurts like f@&$ but keep pushing and it'll all be worth it. Cheers!

12. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I'm going to give a plug for the Viking 4 amp trickle charger from Harbor freight, yesterday I installed the connector , this charger has settings to charge standard, AMG battery as well as cold settings . With the supplies connector you can plug to this cord rather than using the clamp connectors on the battery posts . Once battery is charged display turns green . Not bad for less than 30$ I has a 20% discount from flyer ... give this product 2 thumbs up. Cheers

13. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

Representing bike week.

14. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

I finished the valve adjustment and buttoned her up and then SHE STARTED! So this means my new rectifier, coils, plug wires, fuse box, and like seven other new parts all work as they should! Hell, even the tach on my new gauge worked! I’m euphoric and beside myself with glee

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    SpearChucker, Jetfixer, k-moe and 3 others like this.
  15. Chitwood

Got it all set up on the lift table to remove the carbs(for some checking over and possible one size over stock jetting) and for front end removal for new fork seals and tapered roller bearings for the neck. I can only hope the other two Yamaha's sitting next to it dont get jealous it was the first on the table.

Ryengoth likes this.
  16. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

So much gratification from "fixing stuff". I'm addicted to rustorizing and flipping motorized objects. So far I've done a 1974 vette (mostly engine and suspension), a Dinli quad, an electric golf cart, numerous small 2 and 4-stroke garden tools. The 2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Turbo R&D project was my most expensive biz flop, though. KDM peeps are even cheaper than JDM. :rolleyes:

Praxeus likes this.
  17. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Taper bearings will be ordered soon for the XJ550 rebuild.
    What's a typical upgrade jet size for the 550? I'm going with original to get it ready for a title app first, but want to plan ahead.

18. Chitwood

Most bikes of the era were jetted slightly lean from the factory. They will obviously perform just fine as equipped but if you look at the carb specs for the US market machines versus the ones shipped to Canada or elsewhere they are different. I plan to go only one size bigger on the main and possibly up to 2 sizes bigger on the pilot. Mostly because my pilot mix screws are out further than I'd like(and according to the colortune), I suspect due to the modified exhaust I have.

19. Bilfknmury

Bilfknmury New Member

Took the Maxim out for the first ride of the year. Primed the bowls and tried the starter. Cranked and cranked. Acted like it wanted to catch a few times. Figured I flooded it. Pulled the plugs (they were black/sooty and smelled slightly of fuel) cleaned them off and reinstalled. Bike started within 15 seconds. Ran a little rough for the first 30 seconds and then smoothed out. Took it out for a good hour and ran like a top the whole time. My bike just does not like to sit for any extended time whatsoever. I have a feeling its running a little on the rich side. I just need to convince someone to do a little carb clinic in my neck of the woods lol. It's good to be riding again!

Attached Files:

Jetfixer, Franz and Simmy like this.
  20. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

Ordered the parts I need to replace steering bearings and rebuild the forks. I'm betting XJ4Ever gets the parts to me before I can get my garage door open (thaw + freezing rain = door frozen shut).

Can't even bring home the new-to-me fjr1300 I picked up last weekend.

Jetfixer likes this.