1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj650 brat/tracker

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by sybe, Sep 7, 2015.

1. 50gary

50gary Active Member

I went with 1.0kgm Race Tech springs what their spring chart recommended for the weight of the XJ. I have not got the forks back as yet.
    Cheers, 50gary

2. sybe

sybe Active Member

Thanks for the info, if the forks feel spongy I'll take a look at those springs. i might need heavier duty weighing in at 234 @ 6'1.

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

4. sybe

sybe Active Member

Are you going to install a steering stabilizer with the forks?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  5. sybe

sybe Active Member

Made some new additions to the bike. Got the r6 front end installed lsl 6.5" headlight bucket and lsl brackets. I also rewired the bike and installed motogadget blaze pin turn signals, new brake lines, epoxy sealed and painted the center stand, cut and welded kick stand, xj700 rear rim still needs to get installed after sanding and painting, wiring needs cleaning up still. looking for ways to minimize the rats nest and have to fabricate a new speed sensor bracket. koso brackets are horrible

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ColoradoDan and PavelK313 like this.
  6. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

Bike looks awesome man! You’re going to love the way that front end feels!

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

it's easier to hide something on the back wheel/swingarm than the forks

8. sybe

sybe Active Member

i am trying to come up with rear mounting options. thinking of welding a bracket to the rear swing arm. Other option for the front is drilling into a chunk of aluminium between the calipers and the fork. I have an m5 Reed sensor that works with the speedometer and its small enough to hide. just not comfortable with drilling into the bottom of the fork. I really don't know why they don't miniaturize sensors for motorcycle applications. I am talking about you koso!

This weekend i am painting the rear wheel, cleaning up rusted parts on the bike and shooting them with etch primer and 2k epoxy primer ontop. while they dry I will shift to the speed sensor. I want to do the dynacoil upgrade, I don't have starting issues now but they are original coils. is the upgrade worth it or wait till they fail?

9. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

I can’t zoom in on the pictures too close but in my case I used stock bottom fork bracket where front fender used to mount for speed sensor. Works well.

10. sybe

sybe Active Member

My setup has a slightly different pattern on the bottom bracket. The fender mounts work but arent clean. the bracket would be visible. It looks like I can drill a hole into the fin looking area and not compromise strength.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tbran/48001285381/
    [​IMG]

11. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

Yeah, your layout is different than mine. Here is how mine. Not the cleanest set up (wire is visible) but that’s the only thing I came up with, at least for the time being.

Attached Files:

12. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i have it mounted inside the front fender, never thought about taking off the front wheel. the wheel won't come out with it mounted.
    i made my own little pain in the

13. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

Also just noticed that you have same front brake fluid “reservoir “ as I did. It won’t work. I found out the hard way. I would advice you to look into proper reservoir, I am using one from rear brake of R1.

14. sybe

sybe Active Member

I already tried it and it worked for me. I only have it on there as a temp while i bleed the brakes and tested everything . What i don't like about it is has more to do with the lack of brake fluid circulation and i am not sure i trust the rubber tube to hold up over the long term with the high internal pressure from braking. I am currently looking for a low profile reservoir. British customs makes one but i don't want to shell out $100.

I ended up painting the rear wheel with 2k hot rod black and 2k satin clear. I decided to strip the satin clear and go with gloss. Stain clear is annoying to maintain and holds onto dirt. I also made a bracket to mount the speedometer on the front fender mount. The bracket tucks nicely on the inside of the fork and hides everything by the fork fluid reservoir. To make this work i ditched the Koso speed sensor and went with the motogadget m5 passive 2 wire sensor. I wont be working on the bike again till after my sons birthday on the 23rd. At 2 years old he loves to help me tighten bolts, steal my tools, and beep the horn.

i love it

15. 50gary

50gary Active Member

For a reservoir on the rear you might try one of the small sized translucent cup style like the sport bikes use. There are two sizes, the smaller one is preferable. I think there isn't any pressure on the reservoir.
    Cheers, 50gary

16. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Yeah, did some work on the mower and also the older son's bike with my 3 1/2 yr old this week. It's a hoot, watching them get all serious as they work on "grown up" stuff... and then less of a hoot as you realize that your last 10mm socket went missing! I know what I'm getting for Father's Day this year! lol

sybe likes this.
  17. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

10mm sockets are a myth! ask anyone , nobody has one in there tool kit

sybe likes this.
  18. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I actually own more 10mm sockets than any other size....for a very annoying reason.

jayrodoh likes this.
  19. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I think you can dismantle 95% of a japanese motorcycle with a 10 mm wrench and #2 JIS driver.

jayrodoh, sybe, k-moe and 1 other person like this.
  20. sybe

sybe Active Member

I love that, my son just turned 3 and he takes working on the bike very seriously. According to him he installed the horn, front wheel, brakelines and rear wheel. oh and helped me make sure all the bolts were tight for the exhaust.

k-moe likes this.