1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New project

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Plumper, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Plumper

Plumper Member

IMG_8044.JPG IMG_8031.JPG I've had so much fun learning and fixing up my xj750 that I got a new project, my buddy was just gonna get rid of it so he said take it, the last year it was operating was 2014 so not that long ago, he had it running last year but running crappy, im still new to this game but I don't think it will take much to get it going, a good cleaning of everything, battery, tires, brakes, paint job be good to go for next year, already starting taking the old ugly stuff off, looks a 1000 times better already, hope there's some goldwing experts here cause I'm gonna have aloooot a questions, o ya she's a 82 gl 1100

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Just check the timing belts with it being an old bike I am sure this Honda has them. A friend had a Honda CB 900f decades ago an it's timing chain snapped and wrecked the valves. He exchanged it for an older Goldwing which gave him no trouble and eventually bought another CB900f, something I would not have done. There was one CB 900f with a Z1 motor fitted in it I saw in the motorcycle press which was called a Honzaki Z900. Well I don't know when Honda stipulate changing the timing belt but preventative maintenance is better than damaged valves and pistons. Worth checking this out I think.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Nice grab, I too have thought about changing a Wing over to a stripped down standard. I as going to remove the four carbs and put in a single carb. There are lots of vids on how to do this and it really helps these bikes out. That is a really nice seat, and if you don't want it for the project you should be able to get some good $$ for it. Best of luck and I will be following this build.

4. Plumper

Plumper Member

Thanx, I will ad the timing belt on my list of things to check, also switching to a single carb, I actually really like the seat it's comfortable and the leathers still in really nice shape

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

This is going to be helpful when it comes time for parts.
    Randakks

I've heard that the carbs can be a pita to set up properly (worse than the Hitachi's in terms of eliminating vacuum leaks).

6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

My buddy rides a stripped down 82gl. It moves! I didn't realize the speedo was in miles, hit the ton, thinking I was only doing 100kph, not 160! That was 90 over the limit! Oopsie! Hopped back on my Rebel and felt much safer with the throttle pinned.

k-moe likes this.
  7. k-moe

Oh ya! Without all the extra baggage the GL is a fast machine. The first series (before the fairing and luggage) is on my someday list.

8. Plumper

Plumper Member

So these shocks are on my 83 magna parts bike, i like the look of spring shocks and I wanna replace the air ones on the goldwing, is it safe or ok to use old shocks? Is there any part of them that gos bad?

Attached Files:

9. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

The original Goldie was launched as a sports tourer, and Honda were unprepared for the sheer scale of its appeal to the tourer-only market, so it eventually became rare to see one without a ton of plastic on it. This meant that many forgot how quick it really was as a naked bike (quick for its day, that is).
    If the PO wants to get the full sporty potential out of it, going single-carb is pointless.

10. Plumper

Plumper Member

I did decide not to go single carb but this whole project I think is down the toilet now, bill of sale problem, gonna find out Monday when I phone registery, good thing I haven't spent any money yet might just have a parts bike on my hands

11. k-moe

There are ways to rectify that problem.

12. Plumper

Plumper Member

We'll see tomorrow what hoops I'll have to jump through to get registered. Maybe it won't be to bad