1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

All I think about now is riding:0

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Stephen Downey, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

Idk how it even happened and it was a maxim xj650 that really caught my eye, I offered half his asking price and he took it. I have to feather the gas a little other than that it rides very nice. Came with pods, I wrapped the header changed the oil and filter, ordered 80w gear oil, I've ran chem tool b12a couple times, changed rear shocks, muffler, seat, handle bars, and levers. I have a hoop I want to weld in the back so, carburetors. ... these need checked I know. I got floats and rebuild kits in case anything needs replaced when I clean and my valve shim tool just came so any advice would be awesome as I've never done shims or rebuilt a carb by myself. I'm grateful for all the information I get here from everyone's experience, thank you!

2. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

20190716_194201.jpg

3. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Stephen Downey likes this.
  4. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

Awesome thank you!

5. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

Riding to work today, sounded like a car does when one plug goes out. Then, bike died. Had starting fluid so, engine would start when I sprayed but die. PO had hacked the wires and one connection would be scalding hot when I cranked. Also, when I wiggled the fuse box my neutral light would come off and on. So my bike is parked at the ymca now and I need to start going over all wires

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

First off welcome to the forum....good to see a new member and a pic of a nice bike.

All these older bikes really need a little TLC before they can be "Safe" to ride on the road. It is up to you, but need to check a few things. Sounds like all the wiring might need to be looked at, the connectors get old and tend to get some corrosion on them. I good brass brush and some dielectric grease will do the trick.

As for the fuse box, most of us change them out to a minni spade version. That will really help you out with the overall electrical issues. The hot wire you are talking about, is that from the solenoid? Like I was saying all the wires might need to be looked at.

If you have to feather the bike and it will not idle, then the carbs need a good cleaning as well. You are running PODS and a 4-1 so if the jetting in those carbs is stock, she is running way lean. Just my 2 cents worth. Keep us posted how things are going with the bike.

7. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

Lol that's what I replaced that old fuse block with, the mini, and had a new starter relay I used problem ended up being the petcock, it cannot run gravity only vacuum. And maybe my imagination but the sound an engine makes that threw a rod...i think I hear that very very softly at low rpm so , hope it makes it the rest of the season, ill check the solenoid, I have a meter I need to watch a video on thorough wire testing. Thanks again, love the site I'm grateful to have all the info I need this convenient

8. Deathboner727

Deathboner727 New Member

What kind of jetting you do for pilot and main?

9. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

I'm not sure there's dynojet stickers on the tank idk if the kid did that or just stuck those on the tank and I got a rebuild kit I'm not sure what jets came with that, jetting is also something I need to learn

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

11. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

Thank you man, this little bike has been so reliable despite its age and everything with the fuel needing tuned. I'm having to use a little starting fluid when the atmosphere is damp I'm sure that's only making things worse

12. Deathboner727

Deathboner727 New Member

Color tune helps !

13. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

Ha! that is the coolest thing ever I like it

14. Bluegray57

Bluegray57 Active Member

Age doesn't make a bike unreliable. Most likely unreliability is from all the previous "cut this and replace that" that went on. :)

15. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

unreliability comes from lack of maintaince,

cds1984, Stephen Downey and k-moe like this.
  16. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

If it did throw a rod you'd know right away, and it would not be pretty.

17. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

and a journey it was, I was new to it so, and I couldn't find my original bike thread but I got an 82 maxim xj650 with pods and no muffler. and finally after riding most of the season I decided to brave the carbs. and I took them off about 7 times but after some trial and error I have the floats correct AND no leaks. now that in itself can be overwhelming, especially when you really didn't have a leak to begin with ha! after I was sure the leaks were fixed I changed the oil and the carbs must come off once for throttle shaft seals I have a vacuum leak, now since the boots bolt at the top and bottom, anyone with advice on keeping the broad sides from pulling in air? just rtv the boots before installation? or felpro cork gasket by itself? anxious to color tune, happy my bike is almost viable transportation again, I refrained from asking questions every time I got stuck I read many threads here and so my gratitude to everyone, the mods, Chacal you don't know how much your information has helped my project this summer you guys are awesome I hope we can ride someday:)

18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I think this is your thread that you started.
    https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/all-i-think-about-now-is-riding-0.124983/#post-629520

Sounds like you have had a heck of a summer project. Glad that you have her almost on her way again. Those cabrs are always intimidating for the first time. So many great links and vids to show what needs to be done. As for the boots, ATV works good, even a thin layer and let it dry to a good gasket and then put it on. Many different ways to do it, what even makes you feel comfortable and works for you.

Doing a sync of those carbs will need to be done too. That will or should happen with the colortune. Way to stay with it.

19. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You can find all of the content that you've ever posted here by going to your profile page. There is a tab to see a list of all your posts, and one to see just a list of the threads that you started.

20. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

just wanted to add too my thread. r1 forks are ready to go on, waiting on a wheel. carbs.... have been off many times. I read 15-20 hours for first timers potentially. yeah I think I've gone over 20. but now everything is new and clean. no I didn't do shims yet no I don't have a good excuse, I'm doing them next before the forks. gas no longer leaks ha! that alone made me happy. I started the bike today after clear tube checking fuel level, all was well I am at 17.5 on every bowl but I'm closer to the 3mm UNDER spec when checking the level. I don't want to go much less than 17.5 right? I didn't have time to color tune bc of work but later when the bike cooled it just would NOT start? I can't believe my battery lasted that long. aside from that im hoping valve clearances, vacuum sync and color tune will make me healthy again. thanks again everyone