1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Help me plz

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Bud, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Bud

Bud New Member

im having issues with the wording on my XJ650 maxim it’s the one that is low to the ground I don’t really know what it is but my starter switch don’t work and the cylinoid has one blue wire but my other bike has a blue and white and red and white wire I don’t get it

2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not sure which bike you are having an issue with but there are two different types of solenoids used on the XJ series. The two wire solenoids are Murphy proof and can not be hooked up incorrectly. The single wire solenoids can be hooked up backwards causing them not to function as they have a metal terminal that connects one side of the solenoid coil to battery positive power.

upload_2019-8-15_7-57-7.png

Franz and Timbox like this.
  3. Bud

Bud New Member

I got it hooked up right just don’t know why it won’t crank I can cross it over and it will start I am not getting power to the start switch but once it starts it runs fine I don’t know y I am not getting it to crank from switch

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Now test the start button to the "Ground" point on the pic above. I would guess you can take a jumper from the ground to the "ground" point on the solenoid its self and that would test the action of the solenoid. Good luck and keep us posted.

5. Bud

Bud New Member

Did that and it cranked and started it’s like my switch is not get power where does the switch pick up power to turn the starter on

6. Rooster53

Some more bike specifics would help - are you working on the XJ650 or a mid 80's XJ700 - year and model of bike? The starter safety circuit is a little bit different in the two, however in either case the starter switch does not have power but instead supplies a ground. The difference is in the starter safety circuit relay logic. Perhaps you can post a pic if you don't know what you have - sometimes you need at least 5 posts before pictures are allowed.

7. Bud

Bud New Member

Yea it is a 750 xj maxim from 85 it has the round Crome and white gages I’m glad my Betty is not doin this dad is driving me nuts

8. Bud

Bud New Member

ill try this and I’ll send pic of the bike and the cylinoid

9. Bud

Bud New Member

There is the bike I do believe the cylinoid is bad I hooked a ground from battery to the blue at the bar nuthin then went to cylinoid and nuthin I’m goin to go get one now will let u know as soon as I get back thank u guys

Attached Files:

10. Rooster53

It's hard to tell from the picture but keep in mind that the solenoid can be incorrectly connected. The battery positive input needs to be on the large terminal on the solenoid that has the buss bar running down to the smaller terminal. The other large nut on the solenoid would have a large wire connecting to the starter.

11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Are there only three wires? The two large red and than the blue/white stripe? There is nothing lower under the two main red or power wires? If not, the ground wire would almost have to be the blue/W stripe wire.

12. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

blue/white is the ground it leads to starter button when button is pressed it makes ground
    700n starterbuttomn.PNG

1985 XJ700 MODELS:

MODEL NAME: XJ700N
    STREET NAME: 1985 XJ700 Maxim
    MODEL ID CODE: 1FG
    FRAME ID: 1FG
    SERIAL NUMBER STARTS AT: 000101

13. XJ550H

you have a relay assembly
    700n code.PNG 700nstarter circuit.PNG

14. XJ550H

try this disconnect the blue/white wire from solenoid hook meter to negative on battery and blue wire on solenoid. you should read battery voltage. If you do not it is possible you have the battery cable and starter cable reversed on solenoid

next test is hook meter to positive on battery and other lead to blue/white wire running into harness. press starter button you should read battery voltage if button is good.