1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

MOT time

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Wayne Stuart-Cole, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Wayne Stuart-Cole

Wayne Stuart-Cole Member

My bargain old girl passed the mot test this morning, 1 advisory for warped disc (I could not feel it going to and from the test)
    I’m happy with that, first time I had ridden it as well :)

2. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

They wouldn't have even looked at the disc.....nor the pads.....nor the exhaust......etc.etc..

Just the tyres, horn, and lights over here ( NY) !!

3. Wayne Stuart-Cole

Wayne Stuart-Cole Member

They had the bike on rollers and even checked the fuel cap has a sealing ring

Jetfixer and kerriskandiesinc like this.
  4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Congrads...reminded me of of when I was getting a car tested in Portugal. They put that thing through more hell in the test then I ever would have driving it. Lajes AF for two yrs. Again glad you passed the test and you might be able to have those disks turned down.

5. kerriskandiesinc

Yup...I remember FONDLY my MOT testing times, once nearly pulled the ( ancient) brake tester off the wall with my newly installed pads/bled brakes on my 900R).....Do NOT miss those days, "That exhaust, a bit loud Sir"...here, they dont even start her up !

I feel 75%? of bikes here.....and 98% of Harleys would fail UK MOT....on noise test alone !!

Franz and Jetfixer like this.
  6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Blaaaa, Blaaaa, my Harley imitation lol " loud pipes saves lives" is their moto ....

7. Wayne Stuart-Cole

Wayne Stuart-Cole Member

living in Liverpool and having the ‘Saturday Club’ as friends, or as my wife puts it “should be locked up bunch of reprobates” I have access to somewhat easier mot’s, luckily I am pretty darn good with a spanner so have not needed other services.

8. kerriskandiesinc

I used to be in a similar position, plus my ex MOT'er was mindful of the fact that as a bike courier.....thogh my bike may LOOK like it was falling apart, in reality all the 'important' stuff was ( usually) A1.....can't have too many breakdowns, missed jobs, missed deliveries, or your reputation...and finances take a tumble !!

I can honestly say, in 15+ years, I FC*&%$ up (my fault entirely!) maybe 3 times........over quite possibly 200,000? deliveries, hard to know the exact number, lol !! ( though one of those was my European (busmans holiday) vacation.....when my last '£10,000 pound' delivery (5" floppy diskettes) inadvertently traveled in my panniers, around Europe for a week...nearly got the sack for that one!!)

9. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

No MoT (or NCT, or would that be a NMT?) in Ireland, yet. There are always rumours flying around that it will come in, in a couple of years, but it's never happened. Bikes don't account for any noticeable percentage of accident causation anyway, at least here, where the vast majority of motorcycles are put away for the winter.

Franz, Jetfixer and kerriskandiesinc like this.
  10. kerriskandiesinc

Put away for the Winter?
    I've never noticed that, amongst my Irish, nor English, nor European friends.......compared to ( some) parts of the States, where it would be nigh on impossible to ride all year round, I've always thought MORE UK ( Irish) riders ride year round?

It seems to me that HERE, in the States, although we have some fantastically knowledgeable, and avid riders, ( thats YOU chaps, and chapesses, lol) bikes are seen as more of a 'leisure' pursuit, than a 'way of life'....partly due to easier? accessibility, and cheaper petrol costs, to run cars/trucks (US) v Europe/UK...where it was always more expensive, compared to the States...

Franz and Jetfixer like this.
  11. Dave in Ireland

Nah, most of them are fair-weather pussies.
    There are a few who ride all year round, but the vast majority don't like getting wet and cold. Not that I actually enjoy it, not any more, but when needs must.

12. kerriskandiesinc

Hey, I've gone soft too mate, I don't enjoy it either,....back then, I had little choice, it was my job! lol !!

13. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

how warped was/is your disk?

kerriskandiesinc likes this.
  14. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I'm a fair weather rider ,in my youth temps did not bother me like they do now. Yes my bike is tucked away in my garage . We use salt and sand on the roads, when spring finally gets here we wind up with pot holes almost to China . Plus idiots do not look out for riders this time of year. We have no state inspection in Indiana ,actually wish we did would get some of these POS held together with duct tape ...I kid you not there is guy driving a truck that the fenders are duct taped on, the rear window is plexi glass duct taped on, the bed is gone ,sheet of plywood .

Dave in Ireland likes this.
  15. kerriskandiesinc

Doesn't take MUCH in the UK ( Germany's TUV is very strict too) to fail the MOT....even ...20+ years ago, they would go over the bike with a fine tooth comb......unless you were friendly with the inspector...

I was given a warning some 25 years ago, for a 'dished' disc..on my 240K miles XJ.....however, the 'pad' gripped part was STILL thicker than a modern sports bikes disc!!

God Bless America..and NY, and the somewhat lackadaisical inspections !! ;)

16. Dave in Ireland

Hah, Snap!.
    Nearly a decade of in and out of Lunnun and all over the country, mostly on a pair of GS850s I've still got.
    The reason I bought this XJ was that my mate used one for a few years and racked up 230K on it. When he last saw it, it had another 50K on the clock, so allowing for periods of broken speedo cables, etc, it had probably done 300K at that point. Still looked mint though, because the first thing he did when he bought it was cover the paintwork in duct tape. :)

Franz and kerriskandiesinc like this.