1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Tyler643's 81 JX650

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by k-moe, Sep 26, 2019.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

@Tyler643 ,

From your conversation with me.

Hi guys. I have a 1981 Xj650 that I got a few months ago and when I got it the speedometer didn't work but the wheel nut was pretty loose and I tightened that up and it worked great. Sense then I have put about 600 miles on it and the speedometer quit working again. So I checked it with the drill trick and it got up to about 30 miles per hour and spun the odometer. And I knew it wasn't the wheel nut because it now has the cotter pin like it should. I'm thinking it's the drive dog by the looks of another post. What do you guys think? And if that is it where would you find one? Thanks for the help

Tyler643 likes this.
  2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. Tyler643

Tyler643 New Member

That looks like what I'm looking for. I am new to motorcycles. But know my way around a wrench. Is this a hard thing to do or pretty simple? Any tips or tricks? Thanks for the help

4. XJ550H

remove front tire and it drops into area where bearing sits under speedo hub

5. Tyler643

Tyler643 New Member

Hi guys. I have a 81 maxim 650 and Today I went for a short ride. When I started my bike it started just like normal and ran great for the first half mile. After that it wasn't wanting to idle or accelerate out of first gear so I pulled in a parking lot and it shut off and wouldn't restart. About. Hour later I went back to it and fired up and ran great for about a half mile to a mile. Then it did the same thing and I tried to limp it back home and it made a clunking nose and skidded to a stop and wound restart. I can get it in first gear and neutral but no other gear. I also tried to push start it but when I released the cluch the back tire locked up. Any help would be appreciated.

6. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Sounds to me like either your gas tank cap is not venting or the valve shims are too tight. The cap needs to vent freely to allow air in to replace the fuel that is used, you can try riding with the cap open as a test. Have you checked the shin clearances? If they are too tight, the valves may not close all the way when the motor is warmed up.

You’ll want to use second gear to pop start, it takes a lot of torque to spin the motor over in first and having the rear wheel lock up if you try first is expected. Don’t use the clutch as it adds drag and makes it harder to push, just get a rolling/running start and kick it up into second from neutral.

7. Tyler643

Tyler643 New Member

I haven't checked the valves or gas cap. But the bike won't start now. The starter just clicks. It has done that every so often but seems to just do it once then start. But now that is all it will do. Sense this happen I have not been able to get it to start.

On the push start sense this happened. I can't get it in second gear. It will only go in first and neutral

8. jayrodoh

Sort this out first, there are a lot of threads on starting issues and the service manual covers in detail how to check the safety systems. Tons of help here too. Might just be a bad battery too.

Both important for a reliable well running bike.

It's normal for the bikes to be hard shifting when it is not running, try rocking the bike around while you shift or spinning back tire with hand if on the center stand while trying to shift (not running of course!)

9. Tyler643

Tyler643 New Member

I am thinking it isn't just a starting problem or a valve or gas cap problem. Because the bike has ran fantastic up till this point. And all of this happened at the same exact time. Witch makes me think it's a combined issue even with the trans problem. Because I have tried everything with that and no matter what I do it will not go in second gear. But maybe I'm wrong. That is just my thinking

10. XJ550H

11. Tyler643

Tyler643 New Member

That sounds like that's probably it. I think if that is the problem, it would be best for replace that chain guide. What do you think? Is that a pretty hard thing to do?

12. jayrodoh

This could certainly be the cause of the shifting issue but wouldn't be related to the others. You'll have to pull the motor and split it to replace the guide. I would verify this issue before moving onto others.

The other issues with the motor loosing power, stalling, starting again only to loose power again and not restart/turn with starter over could be the result of low/no oil too. That is worst case scenario. You can remove the pickup cover on the left side of the motor (round with two JIS screws) and turn the crank with a wrench carefully to determine if the motor is locked up. If not then I would look into the guide issue first and then start troubleshooting the starter issue.

13. Tyler643

Tyler643 New Member

I know it's not an oil issue. I changed it 500 miles ago and make sure to check it before each ride. Including when it broke down on me. I will check it all out and let you know what I find. Thank you for the help

14. XJ550H

15. Tyler643

Tyler643 New Member

Well I figured out part of the problem. After more looking at the bike I found a hole in the block and cylinder. So I definitely need a new engine. But I'm not sure if the bike is worth it. I also still don't know about the shifting issuer. It's weird to me that it all happened at the same time. I've talked to a few people saying it maybe is just a clip or spring inside of the trans. What do you guys think? Thanks for all the help

Attached Files:

16. Tyler643

Tyler643 New Member

I also found a engine pretty close to me without the trans. Is it better to go with one with the trans? It's also a yics and I don't think mine is. What are the differences? Would that even matter?

17. Tyler643

Tyler643 New Member

I don't mean to keep making a bunch of new posts but right after I posted the last thing. I decided to try holding the shifter all the way up and slightly rolling the bike back and forth and it popped right up into second gear. It will now go in all the gears. I'm even more confused than I was before. Do you think when the motor locked up it made something just stick a little? And would that say the trans is ok now?

18. XJ550H

maybe a chunk of something went into the trans to get caught between the gears

19. Tyler643

Tyler643 New Member

Ok. So do you think it would be best to tear into the trans even though it seems to be fine now ?

20. jayrodoh

Follow the instructions in the guidectomy link provided earlier. It’s not uncommon for a chain guide to come apart in the motor and have pieces jam up the gear shift mechanics. You can also inspect springs etc. while you are in there. Removing the broken pieces will fix the gear shift issue but you’ll need to eventually split the motor to replace the guide as the chain will wear on the oil nozzle inside.