1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

83 Virago 750 Midnight Editio

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Tyson M., Jan 8, 2020.

1. Tyson M.

Tyson M. New Member

I just bought a non running 83 virago 750 with a title for $300. Got it running in about 3 hours. It idles real good with choke on and after it warms up you can take some of the choke off (not all) or it will die. While its idling good if hangs up at RPMs when revving it. I am going to check the oil today to see if it smells like gas. If it does I'll just rebuild the carbs as I'm assuming its letting gas into the engine. Otherwise I'm thinking I just need to adjust the carbs. I havent touched the mixture screws and I've kind of touched the idle adjustment screw. But I'm pretty sure you dont want to adjust those things with choke on. Any ideas?

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Glad that you started a new thread on this bike...can't wait to see some pics too. The Chevron Techron Concentrate is really good fuel additive, great stuff to try is you can drive it (Wisconsin winter not smart). But if you have the time on your hands and want to get those carbs off I would think it is a great idea. I think removing those carbs is a little tricking and I seem to remember having to take the studs out of the intake to get them out. I can't remember. I am from Tomah not sure what city in WI you are from.

Good luck and post lots of pics and details as you go, that will help with any trouble shooting if you need the help.

3. Tyson M.

Tyson M. New Member

I am in neenah WI. I ship out in february 25th for military so I dont have a lot of time. I also have an 84 Magna I've been working on

Attached Files:

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Been in your area many times, passed through there on my way to the UP. Well best of luck to you in the service. I hope it is everything that you want it to be. Being safe and keeping your head on a swivel. I retired from the Air Force, for the most part really enjoyed it and the travel was great.

Would love to see the Magna, those carbs I feel are the hardest of all the bikes I have worked on to remove and get back on. They are the reason I started to use ratcheting straps to remove and install carbs.

5. Tyson M.

Tyson M. New Member

Yeah lol, they are a pain

Attached Files:

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pic of the Magna....That is the color I thin is the best as well. I have had many V65 over the yrs, never seem to keep them for too long. Going back to the Virago, you will have to be the judge on what you want to do with the carbs. If they are not leaking fuel all over the place and you think maybe just running her will get it back to working right, that might be good. You are going through basic and then coming back home before you ship out to your first duty station. Not too sure you will want to work on the bike in that short time. I can't remember is the back carb has smaller jets on that bike as some of the other V bikes do. That is just to keep the cylinder cooler, as the rear does not get as much air...or the air is super heated from the front cylinder.

7. Tyson M.

Tyson M. New Member

I'm in the national guard, I actually have drill tomorrow. I'll be stationed right next to where I live. I got lucky with it ;)

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes you did....that is great, happy for you. That will give you skills and the ability to be home and work on your toys.

9. Tyson M.

Tyson M. New Member

Heck yeah man

10. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

These carbs are easy to rebuild , check the diaphragms are in good shape ( hold up to a strong light for no holes..if you see one a condom and rubber cement , cut a piece slightly larger than the hole , glue in place with rubber cement.) Make sure jets and emulsion tube are fully clean . The best way to rebuild carbs is the same as the XJ carbs , full tear down and with butterfly seals removed and the mixture screws seals removed and soak the carbs in Berrymans carb dip for 1 hr per carb . Soaking without removing rubber seals will break down seals.