1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XV750 carbs

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Tyson M., Jan 25, 2020.

1. Tyson M.

Tyson M. New Member

So I ordered new carbs that were 'rebuilt and shimmed'. Put them on and they are even worse than the ones I had on before. Wont start now for more than 1 second. I can see a vacuum leak in the cold air but I cant find the source. It looks like it's coming from the carburetor itself and not the boots. I did have it running the night before but it idled at 2k and was jumpy. I'm thinking it's a vacuum leak that's the issue but I'm also guessing it needs to be tuned. The guy said he bench synched it but I'm unsure. It's extremely frustrating, I was assuming I would just bolt it on and adjust the idle knob but no, its even more headaches now. The grounding cable bolt snapped off too so I have to drill that out now. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

As for the carbs it might not be them. Have you checked the valve spec yet? The opening and closing of those valves when correct, sure does help with starting. Have you made sure that your gas tank was preteen inside and nothing got into those new clean carbs? One nasty cup of fuel with all kinds of stuff in it will mean time to clean the carbs again. I always get my bikes running and tuned up with a AUX gas tank. Could be something simple like a lawn more type tank held above the bike. Could be nice like some of the AUX fuel cells they sell on line.

Pull the plugs and give us a update as to what they look like. I know that it has not run long, but if they are wet that could be a good thing. If they are bone dry then they are not getting any fuel. What is the air filter doing these days? New, or just cleaned up? No air filter at all? Tyson when you get a chance get some pics in this thread to we can see what you are working on as well. Good luck...lots of snow on the ground and you don't want to drive these Wisconsin roads this time of yr, so take your time, do it right.

3. Tyson M.

Tyson M. New Member

Plugs were soaked with gas, definitely didnt help, were probably like that for a while. Got new spark plugs and choke cable, also got new carb boots. Went ahead and bought a new oil filter while I was at it. Hopefully I'll get it running good today

4. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

My buddy's virago benefited greatly from new intake boots with gaskets/o rings, new plugs, checking valves, and a good battery. Just food for thought from a fellow badger
    Edit: Even though his virago is a 750, my xj650 will walk all over it any day

5. Tyson M.

Tyson M. New Member

Ti

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Tyson, I know that it is a little intimidating checking the valves for clearance, not fun the first time. But it is not that bad once you get in there and start to work. If you have a digital camera/phone take pics along the way. Great way to refresh your memory if and when you have a moment.....

Just noticed that you have screw adjustable valve...you lucky guy.

7. Tyson M.

Tyson M. New Member

I leave in 13 days for basic. Still havent put it back together. A screw broke off in the battery neutral post and I have to tap it out. Hopefully I can get it running before I go

Timbox likes this.