1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

24 Hours ago...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by k-moe, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Carl Sagan was right about The Pale Blue Dot, how things can change quickly.

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Our show got cancelled as of last night... at least the kids got one performance in and the did fantastic job. Now all schools are closed down. As I’m typing this, news reports that Onondaga County has just closed all schools.

3. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

I just received a phone call from my working district confirming the shut down. To your point my friend... Additionally, throughout the close, the high school building will continue to provide food (breakfast/lunch) each weekday as usual for any student in the community who typically receives it during normal school operation.

Good to see.

k-moe likes this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Not gathering. Picking up to take home.

5. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Same here, kids outta school for three weeks. I’ve been remote for two years now but we’re scrambling to figure out how to get a few thousand remote starting next week. I’m in telecom on the contact center side and working on our call center agent stuff.

Schools are still doing meals for kids and seems to be a lot of the community is coming together on things.

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I feel for all of you that have kids and families. I am still sitting back and wonder if the other shoe will drop? Trying to keep a focus on the science of all this, that is making me look at media as a big stick and it sure is stirring the pot really heavy. As someone once said " A person is smart people are dumb" . The human mortality rate is still way less than the flu.

I do hope this country of ours (USA) is smart enough to focus on the correct things and not that "the sky is falling". Seems we need to stay positive and proactive, a little common sense never hurt anyone either.

I hope that all our forum folks and their loved ones pull through this in the best way possible.

Franz and jayrodoh like this.
  7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Some people here are saying it is just a flu, what utter nonsense with all of the changes the governments are implementing globally it is serious. Look at the economic situation companies going bust because of lack of demand for their services. Most importantly though I hope everyone is ok especially people with kids, I don't have any. I hope it is not going to be a repeat of 1918 or worse.

k-moe likes this.
  8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

it is just a flu but it is an unvaccanated new flu so it will spread across the globe just as other flues have in the past.
    people with med issues are most likely to die.

this is the first time the government has been so proactive about stopping the spread of a new virus.
    most of this action is because we have become a global sociaity. instant comm across the world

where I work people are inconsiderant when they become sick. they come to work and spread the cold or flu around to every one. I got it here so I'm coming to work. piss poor attitudes.

look at the attitude people have about getting a flu shot Im not getting one and the trend of not getting kids against childhood illnesses.

I get my flu shot every year. its free so why not.

9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

True many of them don't care who catches it. It's the same everywhere lousy behaviour.

10. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is the "first" time, definitely the US has bumbled its response this time. There are many pandemics that seem "overblown" because we had the right leadership in place to address the situation early on. Think Ebola just a few years ago.

In addition, I've read that a key differentiator with COVID-19 is that it sheds viral particles so efficiently before or right at the onset of symptoms, and that it sheds 1000 times more than SARS does at it's peak, which was after the onset of symptoms. There's even talk of asymptomatic transmission, likely due to a healthy individuals appearing to develop antibodies every quickly to overcome the infection.

Basically it can and probably will infect everyone at some point until there's a vaccine, and it's more about the rate of infection and whether the health care facilities can manage the severe cases as they develop (for the more susceptible populations), along with everything else they have to deal with (regular flu, other illness, serious trauma like car and motorcycle accidents, etc). It's become a "numbers game."

In Italy, hospitals are having to triage patients and choose who to treat based on how likely they are to survive and live afterwards. So be safe out there as the weather gets nicer, if there was ever a "bad" time to get into an accident and end up in the hospital, this will be it.

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I have no medical knowledge whatsoever, but I was wondering about people wearing masks? If scientists need electron microscopes to see these pathogens will masks stop them? I doubt it.

12. XJ550H

just pull up out side call us and we will come out and look at you.

13. XJ550H

masks are for the sick not the healthy

14. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

That is what I mean will they stop pathogens getting into the air when a person exhales or coughs?

15. k-moe

We may be out of school for the remainder of the school year. Time will tell.
    As of today all resturants and bars here can only serve delivery and carryout.

16. k-moe

Masks will prevent infected people from spreading the virus, but have to be reserved for medical personnel. Masks are part of a protocol that requires training in order for them to be effective, and caregivers will be infected already while treating people for other medical issues who may not yet be infected .

17. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Well that is what I mean k-moe over in the UK Boris according to press reports is not closing schools, he should be.

k-moe likes this.
  18. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I hope they can stop it sooner the better. If it stops transmission of the virus it is a good physical barrier at the moment until they have the right vaccine.

19. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Got one of those Vincent's in the Glasgow transport museum.

k-moe likes this.
  20. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

Tomorrow we expect to be told we'll be shutting down for four weeks along with all non essential business, there has been massive panic buying despite supermarkets saying there are no shortages and that they will also remain open during that period, all our racing in April is cancelled as a result of this as well, just reached 102 cases after 7 days