1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

83 XJ750 cafe racer project!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by fstsparky, Apr 14, 2020.

1. fstsparky

fstsparky New Member

Well after getting my xj750 back running while being under this stay at home order for Covid-19 I found out my front brake master cylinder was leaking out of the site glass window it turned to gel. So I ordered a new master cylinder and drag bars to get the project going. Will get before and after pictures up shortly when parts start showing up.

2. OGMilkman

OGMilkman New Member

Sounds like a cool project. Any other plans? Are you going full cafe racer or just an updated nice resto-mod type deal?
    Also what year is your xj750? I have an 82 and am in the middle of doing some similar modifications. I kinda had to take a gamble on some ebay risers so the new handlebar would be compatible but they ended up working perfectly

3. fstsparky

fstsparky New Member

Hey OGMILKMAN, my xj is a 83, I also ordered my bars on eBay after measuring a million times I think they will work they are actually about a inch longer so I think the clutch and throttle etc. Will miss my tank. I am still trying to figure out how far to go with the project, resto- mod would be easier and cheaper but full cafe racer would really be cool! At one time I was thinking on trying to lengthen the swingarm,and drive shaft and really going custom but I just don't know how good that would go.

4. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

It’s obviously your project and for you to decide it’s route but I think stretched swing arm would look goofy.

5. fstsparky

fstsparky New Member

20200414_203225.jpg 20200414_203303.jpg Yeah I hear ya stretched out is more for a sport bike or purely drag bike. I think I am going to go for cafe racer a few parts at a time. Here it is before the first mods.

6. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

Looks like a solid foundation. Pretty much what my bike looked like.

Attached Files:

7. OGMilkman

OGMilkman New Member

Man, that thing looks nice. If it runs well, my vote goes for making it a much more less intensive project than you're thinking. Just replacing that nice seat even seems like a waste, although I'm sure you could sell it to someone on here.

8. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

@fstsparky tell us about your Suzuki drag bike in the pic.

9. fstsparky

fstsparky New Member

Hey Simmy, the bike in the background is a 1980 suzuki GS1100 bored out to a 1327cc. Mtc big block cylinder block, Mtc 2 stage lock up clutch . It is a conversion chassis small tire bike with air shifter and air is in the swing arm, it does 9.80 quarter miles so far I am still playing around with it I need some bigger carbs I only have kehen 35 mm smooth bore carbs now would like to get 40mm lectrons . I live in Colorado and the track sits at 6000 feet asl. so hard to get air packed into the cylinders. A fun toy though. IMG_20150125_153509.jpg

10. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Good on ya, you have balls that clank!

fstsparky likes this.
  11. fstsparky

fstsparky New Member

20200421_154720.jpg Well parts arrived weather was good so I got started on the fun. I took everything off old bars and removed. Once everything was back on I noticed the darn throttle cable had came loose from carb linkage. I found out that you just take off the tank and it is easy to hook back up. I am thinking now of getting a small fairing that will cover the gauges, I found one from puig that fits a 8 inch head light which is what I have

Attached Files: