1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Is there a final drive swap to drop cruise rpm on my maxim x?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by squidx85, Jun 28, 2020.

1. squidx85

squidx85 Member

I was just wondering if any of you guys know if there's a simple final drive swap I can do to drop my cruise rpm on my 85 maxim X. (Does the xj700 air cooled have a different final drive? Or do other yamaha final drives that could be swapped in?) I'm constantly searching for that 6th gear. Cruising at 6000 rpm is just unnecessary, I think it would be able to pull that same speed at 4500 or so. I don't mind downshifting to pass and go up hills, this isn't a diesel pickup.
    Thanks for any info.

Gato99 likes this.
  2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

If you’re cruising [spell chek to corekt Siri] at 6000rpm, you’re moving at pretty good clip.......but it sure won’t hurt the engine at all. It’s not a Harley

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    k-moe and Kickaha like this.
  3. alanolynn

alanolynn New Member

subbed

I often wonder the same with my xj650. I don't go highway cruising, but I'd still like to lessen the high revving/vibration a tad.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

For refrence my first street bike was an EX500. It ran at 6500 RPM at 65 MPH all year long.
    The XJ engine does the same.

5. k-moe

Perform a running synch on your carbs.

6. squidx85

squidx85 Member

Yeah, I am cursing, where the $@#% is my 6th gear!

alanolynn likes this.
  7. hogfiddles

Haha!! I corektEd siri’spelling

8. mhudson

mhudson New Member

I’ve wondered the same thing.... thought about swapping in a Virago final drive (if it fits) to see if my rpms would drop at all at higher cruising speeds on the highway....Not sure it would make a difference though, I think the drives geared the same..

9. k-moe

There are quite a few older threads about swapping final drives. All of them will bolt right on (save for the XS/XJ1100), but pay attention to the location of the shock mount.

IIRC the only one with a significant change in ratio is from the Venture, and even then you only get a ~400RPM drop in engine speed (with a slight reduction in acceleration as well).

The related threads:search

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    mhudson likes this.
  10. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

I once done 400+ mile trip on my maxim with RPM ranging from 6000-9000 and mostly around 8000-8500 in 100* heat without any issues what so ever. Just let her scream, bike is going to take it for much longer than you will.

k-moe and alanolynn like this.
  11. Gato99

Gato99 New Member

I am restoring an85 Maxim X xj700x that I parked over 22-years ago. I ride it now and remember always checking for 'another gear' because it feels like the RPMs are just not necessary, and is additional wear and tear ... Good question you've posed.

12. k-moe

There is no additional 'wear and tear' caused by running the engine at the speeds it was engineered to run at. There are examples of the XJ engines that have well over 100,000 miles on them (at least one that went double that) without needing a rebuild. Almost all of the issues that cause low compression are due to bikes that sit for years (causing the rings and bores to rust) or that never get the valves adjusted.

13. sybe

sybe Active Member

You can always go Hollywood style, ride your bike onto a trailer and have your buddy drive you around while you idle and rev at the rpms you like.

Mobius Williams and alanolynn like this.
  14. Mobius Williams

Mobius Williams Member

I know the Seca has a 2" larger rim. I've swapped Maxim to Seca but not the oppisite but as long as it clears the fender I think it should work. Maybe one of the other folks know for sure. Anyways, that will bring those rapps per mph down a bit.......but nothing like another gear. I run a little bit wider tire than stock on my Seca when I have the 18" rim on which is the same width as the stock Maxim tire. The stock width for the Seca was a little too narrow for my taste.

15. Mobius Williams

Mobius Williams Member

I've swapped my odo too many times for an exact number but I'm 99% sure mine broke 100,000 months ago and I ride daily. Just started thinking about a rebuild today in another thread I started with ya'll. So I can attest to this.

k-moe likes this.
  16. 50gary

50gary Active Member

That 18" Seca wheel wouldn't help much. Sorry but the difference would only be about 1% by my calculation. The Seca is two inches larger in dia. but the tire is narrower and
    a lower profile than the XJ Maxim. Now if you could find an 18" x 130/90 series, that would be about 2.7% larger dia.
    Cheers, 50gary

hogfiddles likes this.
  17. hogfiddles

A larger rim Is not necessarily what makes the difference in RPM. The final outside diameter of the tire is what is critical… Of course gearing can make a change.
    But these bikes were designed to operate in the RPM ranges that are present… You won’t hurt the engine at all.

Mobius Williams and k-moe like this.