1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Rusty81

Rusty81 Member

Scratch that it only works on one side, sometimes at this point

2. XJ4Keeps

XJ4Keeps Member

Opposible thumbs come in handy once again.

3. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Reinstalled the intake manifold. Had removed it to repair a crack at one of the injector sockets. Should finish reassembly tomorrow.

4. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Only working on one side should be the switch, or the lamps/sockets/wiring, not anything in the flasher or cancel circuit.

5. Rusty81

Rusty81 Member

I was thinking the same thing. Going to go through the bulbs and make everything match and see what I can figure out.

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Installed my clutch today, just a few more things to do and engine is complete. Got the idea for the homemade clutch basket tool from Mezzmo's videos.

Clutch Install.jpg

7. XJ4Keeps

XJ4Keeps Member

Looks like you're making good progress. Mezzmo's videos are great. Lots to learn there. Just wish I had his talent (and his tool collection).
    Re-covered the seat today.
    IMG_20200724_140352979.jpg IMG_20200724_140427651.jpg
    Thanks again to Len @ xj4ever.com for supplying quality replacement parts that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to find.

Franz likes this.
  8. Beer

Beer New Member

Got some parts from Len on the bike earlier in the week (throttle tube, clutch lever, and clutch safety switch). Throttle tube was a little tight, but got it sanded down a bit yesterday and now it is working perfectly. Felt good to get it back out on the road.

Came to the realization that the battery was not new when I bought the bike last year. Thankfully I cleaned up the weep hole in the brake master cylinder, push starting is a lot easier (and more importantly, I’m not dragging the front brake or risking it locking up on me).

9. XJ4Keeps

XJ4Keeps Member

Began tearing stuff down in preparation for the lumpectomy, but got totally sidetracked by the exhaust. Thought I'd clean up a spot or two just to see what I could expect, and couldn't stop because the results were so satisfying. Wound up spending way too much time on it. Best news was that the collector box was in surprisingly good shape. No fun trying to find one of those nowadays.
    IMG_20200725_171844965.jpg

Fuller56 and Franz like this.
  10. Rusty81

Rusty81 Member

Finally got my bike safetied. It’s officially on the road!
    And on the way there a strap let go and it fell over in the trailer. Huge ding in the tank now, so I guess I’ll be fixing and painting sooner rather than later.

11. XJ Nine Hundred

XJ Nine Hundred Member

Workin on my 1983 Seca XJ900
    Carb kits arrived today... started rebuilding them... soaked and cleaned them today, start reassembling the carbs sunday while the brisket is in the smoker.

XJNineHundred ;)

12. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

Synced the throttle bodies on my FJR 1300 and tried to make a jump plug to install the Smart Turn System (failed). It pains me that my 38-year old XJ has self-cancelling signals while my 2013 FJR does not.

XJ Nine Hundred and jaxcob93 like this.
  13. Eric Hughes

Eric Hughes Member

Received more parts to add to the stack of things to do to the "82 650. Thanks to Chacal @ XJ4EVER.com Petcock rebuild kit and steering bearing upgrade kit.

Attached Files:

14. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Went for a 70 mile ride ...going to swap out engine soon the starter clutch slipping is getting old , just hope spare engine is good. I'm going to drop oil pan to check out sump ,of course I have so many things going on not sure when I will do the deed.

15. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

How many miles has your XJ done? My machine has 36,000 miles but I don't know if it is genuine.
    Just rebuilt my engine. Starter clutch rollers were perfect but I had new ones so I renewed them and the springs anyway and the starter chain guide (the main reason for splitting the cases) before it broke up and locked the selector drum. Fitted a new cam chain too. The problems I had were the three studs at the front of the engine seized. It took a bit of time to get the head off the cylinders and the cylinders off the crankcase. Machine shop had to fit new studs to the head and I managed to save the thread on the cylinder. Too many Scottish winters with road salt sprayed over the front of the engine causing corrosion of those three studs. Hope you don't have that problem. The cases seperated easily. There was not much sealant on them and I think that is the first time the cases have been split since leaving the factory.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Jetfixer likes this.
  16. Sean.Ottawa

Sean.Ottawa New Member

Rebuilt the clutch today

Jetfixer and Rusty81 like this.
  17. Jetfixer

I bought a spare complete engine almost 2years ago, finally cleaning off the grease and dirt . Drained oil and pulled oil pan, a little sludge was only thing in sump, no chunks or crud , engine was really clean inside, engine had 38,000 . I did a compression check when I got engine
    130 psi across all 4, cylinders. I'm going to gamble this engine is good.

Timbox and Franz like this.
  18. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

More progress with engine today.

Cams to fit next.jpg

Cams to fit next.

19. Jetfixer

Finished adjusting valves on spare engine, I wiped out local yamaha dealer on his shim box , for a few sizes. So glad I checked valves they were tight , I don't think they had ever been adjusted. So decided to paint engine VHT gloss black ,left top of the head natural , turned out good . This weekend I think I'm going swap out engine ,just hope starter clutch is good , cranks over good ....of course my bike turns over good till it gets hot.

20. Nyk B

Nyk B New Member

My XJ sat there, in the parking spot, by itself. I have no sitter so I can go ride :(