1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Any riders near Sioux Falls, SD?

Discussion in 'Central US and Canada' started by Ted, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Ted

Ted Member

I've seen a couple XJ's scooting around here - Anyone on the site? Might be cool to set up a ride or lend each other a hand with some tinkering when needed!

2. flatlander

flatlander New Member

hey, I'm up by Colman. not sure I can help with the tinkering. my 550 is the first Yamaha I've owned. Pretty much been getting all my info from the site. Got it this summer, just been bummin around the county side trying to get it running better. Its a fun little cruiser for the money.

3. Tat2demon

Tat2demon Member

Heya Flat. Im also in Sioux Falls. Have been to Teds a couple times to see his 750.

4. Baumer

Baumer New Member

What's up guys nice to see some others from SF I've got a 80 maxim bobbed out

5. SilentRaven

SilentRaven Member

hey guys new to the site and to XJ's. just got a 81 550 maxim, would love to have some local help on getting it running, was running last week. any one know how to valves??

6. SilentRaven

SilentRaven Member

well my bike is running now, we should organize a little meet and ride some where any suggestions on places or routes??

7. Sd farmer

Sd farmer New Member

I sort of had to laugh when I saw this post and then I looked at the date. 8 years ago, what the hell figured I'd leave a note. I'm down in vermilion. Got a 550, 750, 1100. Ride the 550 and the 1100 quite often. Have only put a hundred miles on the 750 this summer due to sticky rings in cylinders 1 and 4. It's a winter project. Putting in new rings and generally total overhaul.

8. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

50/50 acetone and automatic transmission fluid, a little down the plug holes frees up stuck piston rings.

Sd farmer likes this.
  9. Sd farmer

Sd farmer New Member

I will try the acetone . The issue is with this bike it had been sitting in the garage for 12 years. Mice had got through the air filter and gummed up the carbs really bad. As we all know mouse s*** can do. I pulled the carbs off got most of the mouse nest out but one of the carbs had stuck open and I even had mouse nest in cylinder one. Rigged up a little tiny hose on a vacuum vacuumed it out. Filled the cylinder full of marvel mystery oil let it sit for 2 months as I cleaned up the carburetors. I have since tried ATF and diesel fuel, a couple commercially available carbon cleaners. Plus countless other things. I just figured for the grand price of free. It'd be worth it to put a new set of rings in and possibly hone out the cylinders. But thanks for the tip I will definitely try it.

Franz likes this.
  10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Once you try the AFT/acetone mix it would be worth checking the valve clearances and then doing a compression test. At least then you will have an idea how the compression is before opening up the motor.

Sd farmer likes this.
  11. Sd farmer

Sd farmer New Member

Day 1 "0" all four cylinders. After 2 months of the marvel mystery oil. Cylinder 1 35psi, cylinder 2 130psi, cylinder 3 125psi, cylinder 4 40 psi. It has been soaking the last two weeks with a commercial product. So I will see if one and four have improved at all most likely this weekend.

Franz likes this.
  12. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Another Vermillionite here...

13. Sd farmer

Sd farmer New Member

Cool, I farm out east of town, so this time of the year is pretty dang hectic. I can't wait till winter comes in so I can sit in the shop and work on stuff. Today was the first day I had not ridden the XJ to work in about 2 weeks. Sort of a bummer.