1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

SECA Turbo (non-running)

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by Terry Kennard, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Terry Kennard

Terry Kennard New Member

Exceptionally low mileage (2625 miles) example of a rare and unique part of motorcycle technical history. I’ve conducted a careful refurbishment to bring it up to this point. However, the bike is not running at this time and I cannot discern what the problem is – for some reason the fuel (even with the petcock off) flows down into the crankcase. It’s stranded me three times, and like the buffalo skinner’s statement, “That’s 3”
    • New Progressive Fork Springs were purchased and installed.
    • New Bridgestone BT-45 rear tire
    • New Seat lock installed
    • Replaced Fuel tank as the original had a good bit of rust
    • Replaced and repainted bent handlebars
    • Diagnosed and corrected fuel/oil contamination issues. Cleaned and refurbed fuel pressure regulator.
    • Cleaned fuel pump pressure regulator. Turbo oil scavenger check valve. The turbo oil supply check valve was machined/rebuilt.
    • Complete carburetor rebuild – OEM jets and needles along with new gaskets.
    Some wear and tear and I have pictures and further details
    I am however, beyond any interest in pursuing this bike as it is well outside my performance envelope and any on the local experts. Price is $1000.
    I'm located in Athens, AL
    256-216-9551

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Too bad you’re not in central NY

if you get fuel in the crankcase when the bike is not running, you have a leaky petcock AND at least one leaky float.

k-moe likes this.
  3. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Terry, where in Alabama? Dave, if you want it bad enough maybe we can work something out....... :)
    John

4. Terry Kennard

Terry Kennard New Member

I'm in Athens, AL, just south of the TN Line.
    Also 103 miles from the Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham/Leeds, AL. (If you haven't been you need to go)
    Thanks for the response so quickly. It seems to occur right after a ride where the turbo is applied . . .erm, judiciously.
    I bought and my tech installed a petcock repair kit ads a preventative measure in April 2020.
    [A year earlier we had removed the fuel tank and connected a line to a catch bottle with a nearly full tank of Fuel and the petcock in ON. Nary a drop in over 4 days of trials.
    QUESTION: SHOULD I JUST HUNT DOWN ANOTHER PETCOCK AND INSTALL IT?

Next, bought and installed float needles and seats and filters (also in April 2020) but did not replace the floats as they seemed to be doing okay. So . . .
    QUESTION: SHOULD I JUST ADMIT I WAS AN IDIOT AND ALSO BUY AND REPLACE ALL THE FLOATS?

I'm pretty sure about the skills of the tech i use, Chazz Marshall, as he single-handedly rebuilt my 1982 CBS carbs and resurrected the machine.

Thanks again for the response and insight. It kind of shows I was on the right road, but maybe got off it one off-ramp too early.

Regards

Terry

5. Fuller56

I was checking your location in case Dave (Hogfiddles) was interested in your bike. I have been known to transport a bike for him from The South to his house in The North. Maybe start a conversation with him about your carb issues, he has forgot more about them than I will ever know.
    Yep, I have been to Barber a couple of times, to the museum and to the Vintage Days. In my opinion the Center of the Motorcycling Universe. Great people that run the place too.
    Good Luck with your bike, whether you continue and sell or fix it.
    John

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Why do I never have money to buy more bikes?
    Uggh.

Andrew Nichols likes this.
  7. Terry Kennard

Terry Kennard New Member

Best offer I've had is $850
    It's fallen through
    Can you beat that?

8. Terry Kennard

Terry Kennard New Member

Heck I'll trailer it to NC for the transfer

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I can't. I literally have no motorcycle money. I don't even have garage space (still).
    Last year's move is still in the unpacking stage.

10. Fuller56

Want to trade for a good running Maxim 750, or a good running Seca 750 RJ, the touring one?
    John

11. hogfiddles

Oh man, I sure wish I could.... id love you add this to my collection. Too tight at the moment :(

12. hogfiddles

Carbs—I would recommend a complete teardown, cleaning, and rebuild with a deluxe full rebuilt kit from LEN. Nothing less. You really should do needles AND seats (fuel valve/float valve assemblies at the same time.... not just needles ( or just one needle either)

if you hav me verified That the petcock is not leaking, there’s no need to rebuild. But if you have gas in the crank case, it’s suspicious to me. Or, you accidentally left it on PRI... and you have a sticky float.

private message me and we can talk more, too

dave fox

13. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

The Turbo also has a fuel check valve which needs fuel pump pressure to flow gas. This has to be leaking also to fill the engine at rest.

chacal and Franz like this.
  14. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

No PRI setting on the Turbo, just ON/OFF/RES, the ON position is essentially the same as a vacuum operated tap in the PRI position.

If its filling the crankcase with gas at rest the carbs are leaking and the check valve is leaking.
    The easy fix is to just put the petcock in the OFF position when parked, once you verify it is actually shutting off.

15. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

this makes no sense. The Turbo petcock is ON/OFF/RES. It should flow fuel when ON.

16. hogfiddles

I didn’t know the turbo petcock is different.
    If the petcock is on/off/res, then Simmy is correct— it SHOULD flow freely. so I’ll go back and re-read everything

17. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

A vacuum tap would not work. Once the intake tract builds boost pressure it would shut the gas off.

18. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

And it's pretty likely that the seals degrade or it gets gummed up in an open or closed position. Also, if the fuel pressure regulator isn't functioning, the pump can definitely overwhelm the check valve and float needles. How did you clean the pressure regulator since they can't be disassembled? Are you sure you aren't getting fuel in the crankcase when running? How is it stranding you exactly?

For rebuilding the carbs, I also like to point to BDesigns, he's got complete carb kits for the turbo, including exhaust gaskets and the like.

Note too that overflowing carbs have more places for fuel to go, including the bottom of the airbox and the compressor. That whole area gets nasty with the crankcase breather as well. Checking the fuel level requires running the fuel pump, which can be done by turning on the bike, kicking out the side stand (while on center stand), putting the bike in 1st gear, turning on ignition and hitting start button. The ignition safety circuit will keep the engine from turning over, but the fuel pump will run. If you need to adjust float height, especially after replacing float/valves/seats, I found it easier to build a stand out of PVC and do it off the bike with everything connected up.

To the OP or anyone who gets the bike, good luck. Turbo Secas aren't mystical or magical, and in the end can be repaired just like any other XJ <--- coming from someone who took 2 years to chase down a check valve issue and was ready to give up.

19. Terry Kennard

Terry Kennard New Member

Hell yes I would trade for the Seca 750 RJ if it's in good running condition.
    Again, I would come up to NC to make the trade and bring along all the bit and pieces to give to you (mostly the original gas tank)
    Give a a good phone number or call me at 256-216-9551(Landline) or 256-431-6201 (Cell)

20. Terry Kennard

Terry Kennard New Member

Yeah, I've tried the OFF position drill, but I forget more often than not (only the CBX of the 7 bikes is that sensitive) Further, it's just died and left me stranded whilst running and then, once trailered back to the man cave, proceeded to ooze out diluted oil/gas mixture for 3 days or so, even with the petcock in OFF.
    See the aggravation. I'm getting many. many anomalies that don't seem to augur down to a single root cause.