1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

STARTER RELAY OR BUTTON ISSUE?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Sam S, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes, unfortunately my bikes are resting comfortably for the next few months.

One of the recurring themes with these bikes is the age of the brake lines. If you have squishy brake lever that might be part of the problem. I don't have that much experience personally - my winter to-do list includes rebuilding MC and caliper for my XJ650J, then replace brake lines when I put it together in the spring. It will be interesting to me to see how much different the brake feel is once everything is re-done.

Sam S likes this.
  2. Dan Gardner

Another disclaimer - I'm no expert. But I would think if you had that much vacuum leakage on the intake side that you would have a hell of a time with carb adjustments and idle creep.

Sam S likes this.
  3. Sam S

Sam S New Member

Good point on old brake lines. I'll see when I bleed them.
    I do get idle creep - at least it creeps to zero rpm if I don't hang onto throttle a bit when stopped. Also can't choke it more than half way cause it doesn't do anything the second half. Makes it a bear to start in cold weather.

4. Jeff Witt

Jeff Witt New Member

Sam If I am reading this correctly you have an 82 with the original brake lines? Big Fitz put up a great post about Why you need to replace your brake lines. Those lines will be 40 years old in the spring they were made to last 4. After replacing my lines I found that reverse bleeding works very well. Get a syringe and crack open the banjo bolt at the master cylinder (highest point in the system) then push the fluid up the brake line through the bleeder valve rather than trying to push the air bubble down to the caliper. The bleeder valve will only get air out of the caliper piston. It also took a lot of squeezing the brake ever to expand the piston to the brake pad before I got any resistance on the lever. That is a tiny master cylinder and it does not move much fluid with each pull. But that is also what gives enough mechanical advantage to be able to stop your bike with just your hand.

Sam S likes this.
  5. Sam S

Sam S New Member

Thanks again Jeff! I will definitely 'reverse' bleed to see if it improves. Then get some new line. Wow, only 4 years and I got close to 40.
    Thanks for the link to Big Fritz's post. Do you have a good source for the line?

6. Dan Gardner

The safe option is always @chacal at xj4ever.com.

I think it depends on model, but he's usually got several options including OEM and various aftermarket options.

Sam S likes this.
  7. Sam S

Sam S New Member

Thanks. I'll see what he's got.

8. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

He sells both the stainless and standard rubber. FYI if you've never had stainless before, they do not flex like the rubber lines and noticeably changes the brake feel. Most of my bikes have stainless from Chacal and I like the change, just a heads up as it will have a little less travel and be less spongy if you go that route. They look cool too.

Huntchuks likes this.
  9. ravenbut

ravenbut New Member

that certainly is a gem of a bike. i honestly can't decide whether i like the red or the black the best., mine is experiencing the same solenoid problem yours was. gonna check it when this cold snap is over here in Pink, Okla.

10. Sam S

Sam S New Member

I got a cheap solenoid on Ebay for 10 bucks. Works great. Also got a backup as someone said the cheapos don't last long.
    New problem is I lost both headlights?? Came back on briefly while riding but now gone. Fuses have continuity, all connectors tight and no obvious shorts.

I almost bought a black one that looked awesome (same trim pkg), and great mechanical for 1400.00 but no room in garage. Not much room in the wallett either. I already have the black helmut to go with it too and a candy apple red one. Your black one looks great.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021