1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seized exhaust stud

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by AWHH, Jan 12, 2022.

1. AWHH

AWHH New Member

hello everyone

I’m new to this and have a question about exhaust stud bold extraction. I was removing the exhaust and managed to break off the nut and bolt. Luckily it broke off with plenty of stud remaining. I tried getting it off with vice grips and penetrating spray but this things not budging.
    My plan is to slot the end of the bolt with a dremmel and use a flat head to back it out.

is there anything else I can spray on it to help it move? My fear is that it will shear off and I’ll be hooped.

thoughts?

2. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

You could use a MAP gas torch to heat the area where the broken stud enters the head. I used that on my engine to remove the stud on the cylinders that located in the front of the crankcase.

4. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I doubt that a flathead screwdriver will work if vice-grips don’t. I would try the heat treatment Franz suggested first. If you have never tried heat you might want to enlist the help of someone who has.

5. RonniN

RonniN Member

The best thing with broken studs is to weld a nut to it, and then unscrew, the heat from the welder will most of the time loosen up the seized stud. :)

6. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Heat the area where the stud enters the head is a good idea, as is welding a nut onto the remains of the stud, it gives you something to get a hold of, don't be surprised if you twist the nut off, it happens ( I had a broken water pump bolt on my Honda CRV, took me 3 try's to get it). One thing you can do as prep is to heat the area around the stud and then wack the end of the stud with a hammer; object here is to break the galvanic bond between the steel stud and the aluminum head.

Let us know how it goes.

7. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

+1 on welding and heating. When heating it has to be HOT hence MAP gas or similar - propane alone won't cut it.

8. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Has anyone used those type of stud extractors? Let's just say if a guy didn't have ready access to a welder, would heat plus one of those extractor tools be a good option?

9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

10. Scott I

Scott I Member

I third the weld a nut to the stud. I picked up a cheap China DC stick welder years ago and it has come in handy for small jobs like this.

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Certainly worth a try if there are no obstructions. I have not used them Dan.

12. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

For spray, I'd vote for Kroil unless you've already used it. Hard to tell if it's actually prevented me from breaking rusted/seized bolts, because since I learned about it, it's the first thing I do. And maybe it's bad sample size, but I can't remember it not working.

Shouldn't hurt to add it to the other options above.