1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. First82maxim

First82maxim New Member

Well today I swapped out my rotten old xj650 maxim rear wheel for a nice fresh new rubber on a 750 seca rear setup. larger wheel and larger drum brake which will maybe give it some more rear stopping power. I mainly wanted the bigger rear tire for a bit of extra ride height since I'm not exactly short, but i also like the look of the bigger rear rim. bike just passed safety and still needs a plate but will take it for a ride soon and see how it handles !

I also repaired my pitted forks with some JB Weld which worked great and so far is holding up !

Noahsxj likes this.
  2. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Weather finally got warm consistently so finally got my XJ550 out and rode it to work for the first time this week.
    Fired right up after 7 months of storage without a jump from another battery.
    Basic storage maintenance sure helps the "spring" (in this case summer) startup. Wash the bike, change oil before storage, use Stabil and straight gas, and use a battery tender.

I do have to investigate the 2 small drops of motor oil on the garage floor. :-(
    Oil level was fine however...

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Whooo finally got a day of good weather took the day off from work rode 85 miles bike ran great and my new windshield extension worked great really cut down on the wind noise. Would have riden longer stopped at a garage sale found stuff my wife would want so headed home spent the rest of the day with her actually had a good time , so was a good day . Next four days RAIN figures .

4. KVB_650

KVB_650 Member

I brought one home. 85 XJ700, twenty years of dust. Small dent in the tank. It will clean up nicely.

Attached Files:

5. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Looks pretty good! Has the desirable high rear backrest and everything.

6. Jetfixer

Clean it up., keep it stock. These were low production bikes.

7. Roast644

Roast644 Well-Known Member

So I tried the vibratory tumbler for cleaning carb hardware. Mixed results. I started with screws and levers that included a fair bit of rust and scale. Used the resin media, which are pretty big pyramids of plastic, seemingly too big to fit into tight spaces. Nonetheless, it cleaned up the threads of screws well. A couple levers with thicker rust I had to hit with the wire wheel. This was used only on steel hardware. I thought retrieving the small screws, like throttle plate, from the bowl of media might be difficult, but that part wasn't too bad. I have some glass bead left over from another project that I will experiment with. At any rate, it was a better process than soda blasting, which for small hardware is fairly labor intensive.

Before and after photos, probably 2 hours in the tumbler.

20220515_122624.jpg

20220515_140904.jpg

8. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Evapo-Rust will help with the leftover rust.

Roast644 likes this.
  9. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

Got the parts bike outside under a tarp and the working one on the table and moved so I can walk around it. Started it for the first time in awhile then took the tank off and the search begins for the parts I put away over the winter...

10. Dan Gardner

I made gas tank soup. 650 Maxim flavor.
    AC321C7C-AA1D-4786-BA70-233B0BF56AC1.jpeg

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  11. Huntchuks

Dunked the whole thing, huh?

12. Dan Gardner

Yup. Outside was sketchy too.

13. Huntchuks

Let's see how the paint looks once removed. After treating my tank for a time, I added more liquid which eventually caused an reddish, foamy overflow out the fill hole. That nastiness was hard to clean off my paint. My son has two tanks that are crusty inside and it would be easier to dunk if the paint isn't harmed.

14. Dan Gardner

Definitely not something you want to do if you care about the exterior finish. This tank had been repainted with god-knows-what so the more that comes off, the better. But if you have a nice finish that you want to preserve then the full-tank-dunk is definitely out of the question.

Huntchuks likes this.
  15. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

Siphoned the gas out of the Maxim to run the generator last night my town got hit by a big storm. No power, no gas stations open so the Maxim to the rescue. No one hurt here but 100 year old trees down and lots of power lines too.

First82maxim likes this.
  16. noah scott

noah scott Member

Received a valve shim, ordered new spark plugs - still about ayear off from riding it, but progress!

Uxbridge Brule likes this.
  17. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Made some good progress towards replacing the steering head bearings. Got all the old races out, too.

Attached Files:

18. blue303

blue303 New Member

Stripped the paint off of my frame, re welded the steering stop back on the head tube, sprayed primer and the first coat of paint on the frame.

19. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

How did you get the lower race out? I cannot get a cold chisel to catch it at all.

20. Jetfixer

When I did mine I used a long drift and heated the head tube with a heat gun and drove out the race , to get it in I froze the races and used two large area washers and a bolt and nut tightened until the race moved in and was able to tap the rest of the way in. I upgraded to cage bearings from xj4ever, was a good upgrade

hogfiddles and Franz like this.